The online racing simulator
Sorry for being off topic but when you're on a 'really crappy' connection, you just don't have the will nor the speed to search.
Sorry for being of topic too but if you have problems with your connection you may want to wait before buying S2! LFS in an online game with little more offline content then for practice. Better to wait untill you have a good connection!
Great review, its refreshing to know there is at least one other person in this community willing to say what needs to be said. Its no wonder the game is seemingly off track considering there is so little constructive criticism, maybe its Scawen's inherent hostility towards criticism that stops people.
Dethred, you are again in fantasy land. None of the LFS devs has ever rejected constructive critcism. We obviously do not accept when someone like you goes on and on about how we have let you down and should be doing things differently, when all we ever try to do is provide you a good game and simulator to entertain you, if you should so desire. And we always deliver what we promise. We haven't strapped you in a chair, stood over you with a whip and forced you to race.
Quote from Dethred :Its no wonder the game is seemingly off track

The game IS NOT off track! It's ON TRACK...and the game gets better and better...

And I am sure, everyone that makes games/software/whatever like constructive critcism, and so does the LFS devs...they like constructive critcism, I am sure about that (so they can make the game better), and I have never seen other gamedevs, discuss their game open in forums like Scawen, and if he didn't like constructive critcism, I am sure he would not visit these forums as much as he do. But just moan about the simulator like you do, doesn't help the devs at all.
Quote from Dethred :Great review, its refreshing to know there is at least one other person in this community willing to say what needs to be said. Its no wonder the game is seemingly off track considering there is so little constructive criticism, maybe its Scawen's inherent hostility towards criticism that stops people.

Im starting to find comments like this quite annoying. I really appreciate everything we have been given in S2 Alpha and Im very happy with the rate that we get progress reports on. Im sure Scawen and the boys are aware that the comments of the above poster, and the recent other moan/demand posts are a very small minority of people, Im sure.
Just wanted to re-enforce the fact that, im sure, there are way more people (infrequent posters like myself included) happy with what we have been given and the development process in general.

Again, thank you Scawen, Victor and Eric for an amazing Sim.
So you like the amount of progress and the current state of the sim, and I don't. They're called opinions. I find yours probably more annoying than you find mine. I think part of the problem is 95% of the people on here being fanboys and just saying everything is 100% great. What is the point of having a discussion forum if everyone is supposed to think exactly the way you do, eh Stalin?
Quote from Scawen :Dethred, you are again in fantasy land. None of the LFS devs has ever rejected constructive critcism. We obviously do not accept when someone like you goes on and on about how we have let you down and should be doing things differently, when all we ever try to do is provide you a good game and simulator to entertain you, if you should so desire. And we always deliver what we promise. We haven't strapped you in a chair, stood over you with a whip and forced you to race.

Once again your business practices are impeachable. Now I know why no one dares to criticize the game, because the devs will personally attempt to dress them down. If you read my posts I try to remain civil until a whole mob of people tell me my OPINIONS are wrong. Really, I have never seen such a cult of people that think people's opinion's are wrong. This must be a European thing.

PS: I do feel let down, especially at the tone and rhetoric of the very people trying to sell this game. I remained perfectly civil until being called "stupid" in the other thread, at which time my tone changed, yet my attititude towards you remained civil until you insulted me. The problem is not that you have strapped me down and force me to race, its that I CAN'T RACE with the game in its current state.

If you don't believe me get online at 9PM EST and try to get a decent race in the car class of your choice. You'll be lucky to get 1 good race. So citing that, which is not your problem as a dev, go and play a single player race with 20 cars for 1 hour. Uh oh, You always win because the AI runs out of fuel. So I guess there is always training for the rare race online?

PPS: I have just realized the equivalent to what you just said. Its like buying a used car in "usable condition" from someone that didn't tell you it was broken and barely running, and when you complain they say "No one is forcing you to drive it". I can't believe I just got that answer from someone I bought something from. This is almost as bad as getting scammed on Ebay.
I can't help but feel that you're just trying to find some way of sueing Scawen?

Here in Europe, well UK at least, we've had an outburst of ridiculous Health & Safety enforcements because (in my opinion) of people such as yourself.

From what I've read, you purchased the game having gotten the wrong impression from the main page about the number of people regularly racing with it online and such? So earlier I think you were trying to get the point across that the information on that page is misleading, and as such you felt scammed out of your 30USD? (I think you said 30, my apologies if I mis quoted you there)

Well, that's a shame that tha happened, but I think most courts would argue that the information isn't misleading enough to merit fining the development team, and that perhaps you should research purchases further before commiting. Much like on ebay.

Your turn.
There are frequently lots of people racing, and most 'mericans don't have a problem afaik.

Also, Scawen doesn't 'dress down' those who critisise LFS, but those that unfairly critisise it, like you are. None of your 'facts' are based on fact. I think your posts are annoying the vast majority of people MUCH more than our posts are annoying you. It's YOU that can't see the point. We might be fanboys, but we are not blind to truths. We will tell you LFS's faults. It would only need a small bit of paper to write the worthwhile ones.

I can play online absolutely fine.

Quote from Live for Speed World :There are currently 568 racers online in LFS. (299 Demo - 269 Licensed)

Where is your problem there? Why can't you race? Okay, so your in a different time zone, but we don't see Vendetta, Nuse, or any of the other Americans crying about how few people play. You can't. You can only moan that it's because enough people haven't bought it.

You were unreasonable LONG before you were called stupid. And since then you have only been proving his point, with misjudged arguments, without any backed up facts. We are laughing at you. LFS is laughing at you. LFS is NOT a mass market game, it is a niche simulator, and we don't need your type around here.
-
(KiDCoDEa) DELETED by KiDCoDEa
Quote from Dethred :The problem is not that you have strapped me down and force me to race, its that I CAN'T RACE with the game in its current state.

Putting things aside, I see you racing online quite often, so what's the big deal? (And you race midday in US timezones, so you certaintly have the time to play, anytime)

Even if you aren't racing and just screwing around, so be it. And if you don't like the racing, then just forget about it. Don't come moaning in here, and then go off and play LFS.... so contradictory to what you have been saying, and that is just your own deal, not ours to hear a passionate diary about. I'm quite surprised you bring this consistent argumentive attitude for whatever huge LFS thread you can find. I still remember your RSC thread(s) where you would just not take no for an answer by posting and posting such wild claims. It is annoying.

I mean, if I cannot go buy some orange juice at 2am in the evening because some stores are closed, I'm not going to dwell about it so much that it frustrates me. If something doesn't meet your playtime schedule, you just gotta improvise and play at other times. I know you want to take a shot at playing the game in Singleplayer when things like this happens, but it is b0rked, we all know that, who cares. I haven't even touched Singleplayer AI since the moment I found they were screwed up.... it shouldn't be staring you in the eyes giving you nightmares because it doesn't work, sheesh.
Attached images
oh_the_contradiction.jpg
Quote from Dethred :...

bitching is not constructive criticism
Quote from Dethred :If you don't believe me get online at 9PM EST and try to get a decent race in the car class of your choice

I was trying to avoid posting in this thread, but that statement is simply... false! I get on at 8:30-9:00est EVERY night and there is always a choice of servers to join! Last night for example, i was on a full server with uf1/fe club, the night before i was on another server, full, with as nat/fo8 running.

and every race was a good race, even with the occasional turn 1 pile up!!
I havent read the whole thread, but had a quick glance at most of the posts...
Well, maybe the reason for you not being able to race is less the others (who are not there), than you. Don't you win the races, or are you just crashed off the track all the time? I dont have any problems with that tbh, I can have clean and nice racing on any server at any time, even on demo servers.
(Even though it requires a special skill to swerve noobehs coming from the wrong way on the backstraight).

At least your way is not the way to go, because flaming and moaning will drown out the actual information and opinions in your posts.

We are indeed fanboys, but we do know how a real car behaves, and LFS is much closer to reality than any other game out there, especially when I look at my RC car on loose/slippery ground, and compare it with rallycross.
The problem is simply that you dont have the feeling what a car does, unless you are sitting inside. You are actually countersteering all the time, automatically. In LFS you dont, and thus you spin.
Quote from Scawen :Dethred, you are again in fantasy land. None of the LFS devs has ever rejected constructive critcism...

I wonder how much hearing the same things again and again can erode your will and hopes of keeping this great work. At least the community has proven with it's support that this is going the right way (there are some divergent opinions, but we agree with the important thigs). You are on the right way

PS: This is just to show a bit of support, if it sounded ass kissing (like someone said) is because of my english.
This thread should get closed too. Or at least some people should stop posting same crap over and over again.
Uh wasn't the original posts on this thread about some dude's review?

I don't get to be online much at 8:00-9:00 EST. That's when my kids are on.
but When I do get on in the evening here, about 11:00-12:00 EST, it
is pretty much a ghost town on the servers. When you filter the thing to show
only occupied servers, there's maybe 8-10 at the most. Most of the time it's more like 5 or 6. Like I said in the post that got locked, that's not the fault of LFS. People in America just don't get off to racing. But there's still a hard core group of us I just got through playing on a GURU server for LX-4s before
coming here and adding to this thread.
You know Dethred, you point out all the flaws in this game. That's fine. We all knew about them beforehand. And they're going to be fixed eventually.
So I'm sort a confused as to why it's gotten to you so badly. you really shouldn't let this crap get to you. I also honestly don't see where you've been ripped off or scammed by buying the license to S-2 and only getting the Alpha.... LOL that's what they said they were gonna put out before they released it. I'll admit, I didn't think the A.I. was going to be THAT damn stupid, but I'll also admit I didn't really fool with single player for about two weeks after I got S-2. I didn't get S-2 for single player games.
That's what I got a Playstation for. I also just don't see where the physics bugs are keeping you from playing. TBH, I'd a never known there were any
if nobody said anything. And those issues still don't affect anything for me.

My only real complaint about LFS is getting a leg cramp from long races on Aston Cadet But that's cool. I think the clock more than makes up for that.

@ Richard trowler: THat's another thing you failed to mention in your review. How many other racing games or sims or whatever have real time clocks in the dash? That device has come in handy for me way way more than the clear windows ever will

Oh well I guess you can't please everyone.
This thread is closed

LFS reality check - review at GAMEFACTION
(217 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG