The online racing simulator
modding- yay or nay?
(84 posts, started )

Poll : would you like modding allowed offline at some point?

yay
nay
Quote from Mike85 :I am thinking about mods which would speed up the process of making more/real tracks. The best ones would be chosen by the dev team and put into the game, others not unfortunatelly. We're not talking about rFactor type mods.

I`m agreeing with you that there should be some limitations when it comes to mod`s, cars, tracks etc. If there was anything that was going to be used online, then the DEV`s would need to aprove it, and put it in a patch or something. That would ensure the quality of the game, and it would probally bring up some new and nice contest

I do understand that people are affraight of the moding, because they are affraight that it would lower the quality of LFS, by adding a lot of bad maked cars and tracks and such. But if there are some form of limitations and such I see no problem with it at all. As I have said 3 times before, if there are some stricknes / limitations there would be no problem at all with the mod`ing issue.

I strongely belive that some mod`ing support at any form will increas LFS`s popularity a lot, and it would bring some new blood to the sim, and thats good. Well, we can of course have a discussion about what new player may would do to the sim, but thats not the topic here, my point is that I don`t see why so many people are affraigh of some mod`ing, when it will be under control by the DEV`S themself. And if you are affraight of LFS world records and such, just make it easy and say that non added cars to LFS that host a hotlap will not be valid, then there will be no cheating at that point eighter.

Controlling the mods will prove difficult. If you wanted to really control them they would need to be hardcoded in to the game, which would mean that they would be released with incompatible patches (not very often) and hardcoding mean that the devs have to pay licensing fees (unless of course the mods would be fantasy). Neither of these things are what the mod-lovers want, they want real cars/tracks more often.

If the mods are not hardcoded they could be easily distributed by anyone who wants to which would of course lead to poor quality mods. Besides people whose mods don't get in to the game would get furstrated and angry because they spend a lot of time on their mod and then it's just thrown away.

Besides, LFS is not finished yet. Constant new patches would create even more compatibility issues than just the mods themselves.

In conclusion mods are a big bag of trouble either way you look at it, especially at this stage of development. Also if you like mods, there are other games where you can try them out, namely rFactor.
Quote from mcintyrej :Perfect example of a modding community.

Rfactor is a bit messy to be honest.

+1 for a Steam-Like mod system.

YES.
Quote from geeman1 :Doesn't work like that. You are infact forced to run mods even if you don't want, because other people use them online. Offline you can do whatever you want, but online you have to do what other people are doing.

well then if most people are running mods then that is probably what most people want.. not to mention this is from lfs's webpage from the faq

Quote :
Can I make my own cars/tracks for LFS?: No - Live for Speed is still in development therefore there are no car or track editors available at this time. Also it's not yet possible to import other 3d formats into the game. However we will probably release the editors at some point in the future when most of the LFS development is finished.

Quote from doox00 :well then if most people are running mods then that is probably what most people want.. not to mention this is from lfs's webpage from the faq

What most people want is not what LFS needs. If it were we would be playing a NFS'ey arcade game right now.
Regarding the FAQ quote, yes it says there is a possibility of allowing modding at some point, but that point is still far far away and as I said earlier allowing mods at that later stage makes more sense too than allowing it now.
If the developers had listened to all the LFS purists, we would still be playing S1. I understand that you want to protect your precious sim, I love it just as much as you do, but in my opinion you are being all too conservative about it. You can't stop the progress (positive or negative) and standing still at the same place for ever isn't going to solve anything. What you should be much more concerned about is how to handle this situation around mods before it explodes to uncontrolable chaos of crappy models and shitty textures. Rather than bitching about mods and people who want it, you shoud think about how to organize things so that both sides can profit out of it in the future, because at this point, consider it your last chance to do something about it. Sooner or later, LFS will have mods and you will just cry about it.
Now don't take me as your opponent or something, I am too for conservation of the good old LFS as it is now, but I also want new possibilities to explore. High quality community content. I was talking about it earlier and I am tired of repeating myself over and over.
Please, just don't sit, curse and wait until the devs release the modding tools, prepare yourself for it now, organize yourself and take control of the whole situation and you all will have my support.

edit: how come that I missed the riot when bf1 was introduced and new sounds were introduced? i'm sure it was helluva lot of protests
#82 - JTbo
Quote from geeman1 :Doesn't work like that. You are infact forced to run mods even if you don't want, because other people use them online. Offline you can do whatever you want, but online you have to do what other people are doing.

You are quite wrong, there will be people that like to stick with original lfs.exe and those that prefer lfs_mods.exe...
Quote from JTbo :You are quite wrong, there will be people that like to stick with original lfs.exe and those that prefer lfs_mods.exe...

Well, it's still the online part which decides what people play. If the majority will start playing with mods, so everybody else has to play with them too or play offline.
Quote from breadfan :If the developers had listened to all the LFS purists, we would still be playing S1.

sure, it works both ways. Good thing is that the devs have kept on to the decisions even with strong public opposition and they seem to know what's right for LFS.

Also I for one am not going to cry about the mods. If they are included, fine, I'll use them just like everybody else. I am just trying to point out that things are as rosy as many people seem to think. Mods have problems in themselves (compatibility mainly), controlling the quality of mods is hard and including the mods at this point of development is not a very good idea. Also I don't feel that we need mods, we have done just fine without them this far and I don't see lack of them ruining LFS in the future either.
#84 - JTbo
Quote from geeman1 :Well, it's still the online part which decides what people play. If the majority will start playing with mods, so everybody else has to play with them too or play offline.
sure, it works both ways. Good thing is that the devs have kept on to the decisions even with strong public opposition and they seem to know what's right for LFS.

Well, at least I certainly like from original content, I still drive BL1 with demo cars at great pleasure, also can't see anything stopping success of LX cars among certain audience, if you like to find good racing already it is that you need to find similar minded group of racers and decide race time, unless you are part of some majority that likes from what majority happens to like at the moment.

Oh yes, you are right about Dev part, they have their way which certainly has worked out really nicely so far, if one has even small idea of their path, so I'm sure they know what to do

It would be great if this kind of poll would be not allow any discussion, only links to earlier big thread that would be required to read before posting, I see quite lot of comments here that has been said and talked from all sides in those threads. It is very clear that modern human being should not be allowed to modify software freely, by looks of behaviour we see

modding- yay or nay?
(84 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG