The online racing simulator
slowmotion - GTI@WESTHILL - unfinished
(21 posts, started )
#1 - Don
The set you used is nice, but a bit too bouncy. You can see its a bit bouncy when you go over the curb on the chicane. As for everything else, nice job
why are all of your videos encoded at 50 frames ?
DoN, I have a really sexy replay of the LX4 at SO Long Rev, specifically made to watch it in slowmotion... and I gotta say, I really wish I could make the movie myself, but it'd look 10 times better if you did it

:>
#5 - JTbo
Thanks Don, these movies of yours are just incredible
#6 - evans
Quote from Tweaker :DoN, I have a really sexy replay of the LX4 at SO Long Rev, specifically made to watch it in slowmotion... and I gotta say, I really wish I could make the movie myself, but it'd look 10 times better if you did it

:>

Tweak, can I have a go at that?

Anyway, superb as usual Quite a lot of grass action though?
Quote from Shotglass :why are all of your videos encoded at 50 frames ?

I wondered that too. You get double fps when recording at half-speed (x0.5 in LFS and then converting it to double fps in a editing software e.g. 25 -> 50 - this way you get smoother fps) but this was a slow-motion movie... so I don't know?

I liked this one much more than the previous RB4 movie. But for the next slowmotion movie, change the music. Please.
#8 - evans
Quote from deggis :I wondered that too. You get double fps when recording at half-speed (x0.5 in LFS and then converting it to double fps in a editing software e.g. 25 -> 50 - this way you get smoother fps) but this was a slow-motion movie... so I don't know?

I liked this one much more than the previous RB4 movie. But for the next slowmotion movie, change the music. Please.

For the video to be in slowmotion, Don has to record it in x0.25 at 25 fps and then convert it to 50 fps so he get's a smooth x0.5
Quote from evans :For the video to be in slowmotion, Don has to record it in x0.25 at 25 fps and then convert it to 50 fps so he get's a smooth x0.5

Stupid me... forgot that there's x0.25 too.
Hehe
Btw. Shotglass, is that James May in your avatar? :hyper:
Quote from evans :For the video to be in slowmotion, Don has to record it in x0.25 at 25 fps and then convert it to 50 fps so he get's a smooth x0.5

i guess recording 24 frames at .5 speed should be smooth enough for everyday viewing purposes

Quote from evans :Btw. Shotglass, is that James May in your avatar? :hyper:

guess so ... got is from some guy on the finalgear forum so its most likely captain slow
Quote from Shotglass :i guess recording 24 frames at .5 speed should be smooth enough for everyday viewing purposes

guess so ... got is from some guy on the finalgear forum so its most likely captain slow

Hehe, okay
Anywho, when I record at normal speed with fraps, the video gets all laggy and jumps a lot of frames and I know a lot of people that have the same problem. That's why it's better to record at half speed and then double the framerate afterwards
#13 - avih
3 things:
1. beautiful movies (the RB4 a bit less imho)
2. a bit bouncy over the chicane (1.28 - 1.32, said already)
3. eventhough 720x306 (A.R. 2.35:1), it's encoded to be displayed at aspect ratio of 1.77 (yes, some players do respect that ).

I think the bouncyness might be regarded as a physics bug since these bouncy sets produce better behaviour on many occasions. I don't recall discussions of this issue though, so it might be my perception.

Still beautiful though grats.
I just watched it - very nice DoN, very nice
Great idea for a series of vids, impressive to watch.

One idea, that my be rubbish, but is worth a go... some shots where the camera is attached to car, but watching the front wheel (at an angle so you can see some of the road ahead etc), as it locks and the suspension loads up etc, if you get what I mean.

If that doesn't make sense, i'll try and explain in clearer english!
I like the way the softer suspension shows the weight transference so well, but perhaps it's a tad too much, looks like it took 200 yards for the car to settle again after going over the curb in the chicane

I like these movies. I think they work better when the car isn't "drifting" too much though, because you see the pitch, roll and suspension movement much better. So my advice were you to ask for it, would be that if you keep doing them, steer clear of the overly sideways skid-mark laying stuff.
Do an LX one with some close-ups of the front suspension working
Quote from sinbad :
Do an LX one with some close-ups of the front suspension working

Ive done this myself, and it looks great I could upload it, but imo i dont think its worth it.
*bump* don you think you could post that gti skin?
#19 - Don
its georges s1 olympus skin, i just redid it for s2
Attached images
XFG_georgeOLYMP.jpg
Beautifal. Thank you
Quote from sinbad : Do an LX one with some close-ups of the front suspension working

That is why I recommend the LX I made a great setup that bites the road really well, while at the same time has some good suspension movements to show off (Gotta be careful though, because the dumb license place on the nose can go into the ground, so I had to make it a tad stiffer)

(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG