The online racing simulator
#1 - richy
Reaching platinum and GT1's.
Finally got to the platinum license, took quite a lot of races but well worth it. I'm looking forward to more fun in the GT1 class now, got my first taster tonight.

It's mental, I went from the heavy slow GT2 FXR into the GT1 and it was like driving a different car. Started spinning out on slight touches on curbs or grass and generally killing myself badly on every solid object you could think of hitting. Locking up underbraking too. Soon settled though, until the track changed.

What I noticed on AS7R was a new technique I was trying to apply which I was never really able to pull off with much sucess in the past. I kept my foot planted firmly on the accelerator and when I needed to slow down I just braked and didnt lift off only in the very slow corners. It felt like the setup was suited to this. It keeps the turbo pressure up high (FXR is slow to spin up I noticed) so you can adjust speed but accelerate still in the draft. It was nice for following someone because you can tap the brake without lifting off and you dont lose too much time on the track but you can keep your distance nicely and wait for the right time. I dunno, it just worked really nice at AS7r.

Driving the GT1 from the back of a full grid of GT2's is a real eye opener. You have to take it easy, but having that excess power is really funny, just cruise behind some people then on the straight, vroooooooooom past 3 or 4 cars and tuck in for the corner.
:eclipseehlol just like this when the lights go green as you pass so many people. Damn good fun.

Going to work on a new platinum skin now!!!
I reallllllllly want platinim now!
Richy, I did notice though, that you do need maybe more practice in the GT2's, you were very much out of control in the full GTR's, and ended up ruining some of the GT2 car's races by your erratic driving.

Also, AS7R is an amazing track in the GT2's, so is AS6R, fun fun fun.
#4 - SamH
I would agree with Dustin, Richy. There is nothing wrong with increasing engine performance and lifting weight off gradually. Take a few races over it.. you've got lots of time to find your feet
Shh, Sam, you're supposed to also tell him to donate some points to me!
#6 - Jakg
Quote from Zachary Zoomy :I reallllllllly want platinim now!

The earn it - i earnt about 20,000 of my 22,000 points on my license on Race 1, which took an age, but it'll take even longer if your posting on the forum rather than racing

Yes i know how ironic that statement is!
Bah, Race 2 is easy way, even a slow n00b like me can earn like 400 pts in a few hours.
#8 - richy
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Richy, I did notice though, that you do need maybe more practice in the GT2's, you were very much out of control in the full GTR's, and ended up ruining some of the GT2 car's races by your erratic driving.

Also, AS7R is an amazing track in the GT2's, so is AS6R, fun fun fun.

I screwed up a lot on that first race at fern once the combo changed, but the races after were a lot more stable and the only screw ups I made were putting a wheel on the grass on exits.

I've spent some time in the GT2's, but it certainly doesnt prepare you for the speed difference once you step into the GT1's. I dont need practice in the GT2's, I need practice in the GT1's hehe.

I need to find where and when I can put the power on and overtake a GT2 safely. Or like in the case of that bad fern bay race.... when it is safe to overtake 2 cars at once. You wont learn that in the GT2's since everyones at the same speed.

Cold tyres is a little harsher too in the GT1's. Kept getting me on lap 1.
You're Platinum already Richy? I remember only a good month ago you had just begun driving the XRG, which means you must have got to Bronze not long before that, right? I'm still stuck at Bronze damn it Takes a fair while to get even to Silver when you're only scoring 2 to 5 points a race on Race1 Congrats to you, though! You deserve it!

Anywho, I've raced the FXR quite a bit on GTR servers when CTRA was down so I'm pretty familiar and comfortable with it. It will probably still take some getting used to after having not driven it for so long and having driven the restricted GT2 class right before that.

Ahh.... 45% until to Silver...
Quote from richy :[...]the only screw ups I made were putting a wheel on the grass on exits.

Richy & FEL (1x / 0.5x)
Hehe I was silver when the X system came out.

I was winning a lot or getting good podium finishes on server 1 but I felt a bit guilty about taking up a server space and taking points from lower drivers. I want more people to go to server 2, so if i'm there racing on server 1 i'm kind of hindering that. I want to see more copper bronze and silvers getting their points and progressing to server 2 because its so much better on that server, but just needs a few more people there to fill it out. Server 2 you start earning bucket loads of points. Since there is GT1 and GT2, you get a lot more happier people at the end of a race. More winners.

Some races on server 2 you can earn around 80 points for a second or third place if its a good lap time and on the podium, so yeah, there ya go.

Server 2 is where its at.
Quote from felplacerad :Richy & FEL (1x / 0.5x)

woops different scene i thought you put a vid up of me hitting that wall in the first race, thank god you didnt that was a pretty bad accident hahahah

That 2 wheel stunt was reaaaaally long 2 wheels I remember it felt like I was on 2 wheels forever! hahah
Quote from richy :Hehe I was silver when the X system came out.

Ah, didn't know that. Makes a bit more sense now

Quote from richy :
Some races on server 2 you can earn around 80 points for a second or third place if its a good lap time and on the podium, so yeah, there ya go.

Yeah I figured that much. I've raced there a few times when it was multiclass for Bronze drivers (XFG/XRG) and Silver drivers (TBO) and usually scored 3 to 4 times the amount of points I would have got for the same position on Race1. So I was a bit bummed out when Bronze drivers weren't allowed to race on Race2 anymore
I was there when you got it, Richy, and don't forget who won that particular race

Quote from Richy :Driving the GT1 from the back of a full grid of GT2's is a real eye opener. You have to take it easy, but having that excess power is really funny, just cruise behind some people then on the straight, vroooooooooom past 3 or 4 cars and tuck in for the corner.

Yeah, and then us unassuming GT2 drivers get back past you in the corners - which is great fun, GT1 drivers tend to forget that they're no faster in the twisty bits

Server 2 is indeed where it's at.

Anyway, congratulations on reaching the top level, mate - and I think SamH's suggestion is a good way to go from here, slowly take the ballast away, and then slowly derestrict your engine. I hope you won't take offence when I tell you that your GT1 driving was appalling...

Happy Platinum Day

Sam
heheh yeah it definately was not my cleanest racing ive ever had, but I definately improved as time went on, and i'm sure you'll see me get better with it over time in the coming weeks, thats a promise.

That fern bay course, the GT2 cars are only a few seconds off the pace of the GT1s because they are the same speed in the twisty bits, I dont think that track was particularly suited to the inexperienced gt1 driver.

I think once the novelty of GT1 wears off and it gets lonely driving on me own I will soon be back in those GT2's for the real racing with oofers.
Quote from Dark Elite :Anyway, congratulations on reaching the top level

He's not at the 'top level' yet don't jump the gun

Still, congratulations Richy on reaching your Platinum, i know how much work goes into getting it. Nice Job

Now give up any remaining social life you have and get that Titanium
As far as qualification for driving on the open servers go, he is. That's what I meant, anyway

Sam
Quote from Dark Elite :As far as qualification for driving on the open servers go, he is. That's what I meant, anyway

Ahh, got ya, understood

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG