The online racing simulator
Graphics Card Virgin: I'm a bit lost.
Well i got a graphics card today, forst time ive ever had one. Its a Nvidia 7300GS and sems to be alright. But theres about 20 -30 different setting and I havent a clue what to set them at for optimum perfeormance.

Its at 60fps at the moment and it looks real good. But is there anything I can do to improve it even more?
Chances are if you don't know what you're really doing, the default settings will be more than enough. It depends exactly what you want to do with it though.
Just remember that LFS's frame rate is based more on your CPU than your graphics card, since it doesn't use any projected lighting or pixel shaders or anything. Yet

My guess is Jakg is probably going to be the man to answer your question. I also guess he'll probably post in here soon
#3 - Jakg
Quote from Dajmin :My guess is Jakg is probably going to be the man to answer your question. I also guess he'll probably post in here soon

TaDa!

The basic rule of thumb - in the LFS Graphics options set it all to as far right as it will go (ie LOD as high as possible).

In LFS>Options>Misc set "Dynamic LOD Reduction" to "0".

If you want more, you'll have to go into your drivers - i'm not sure how much AA a 7300 would like tbh. I gotta write a guide on AA at some point...

EDIT - A Picture Of My Settings.
Attached images
Grabby2.jpg
Ok just for reference the rest of the system is:

Intel Core2Duo 1.8Ghz
1GB DDR2 RAM
320GB SATAII HDD

500W PSU

And the graphics card is PCI-E 256MB with 512MB with Turbo Cache (dont know if i have to turn that on manually or not?)
#5 - Jakg
I WOULDN'T enable TurboCache if i were you - you have a kickass CPU, but a fairly weak GFX card and not much RAM - extra RAM won't help the card much, but it will make tons of crap slower.

The settings i've shown will make things look better, although it might be worth setting LFS to "High Quality" and to give it 16xAF, which i'll make a guide on later on today.
ok thanks a lot, ive got AF set to 16x, but what about AA? it has these options: None, application controlled 2x, 2xQ, and 4x.

And what about things likeanisotrpic mip filter optimization, and Anisotrpic sample optimization? Tranparency AA? Vertical sync? Threaded optimization? Negative LOB Bias? Extension LImit? Hardware Acceleration?

Sorry but Ive got no idea what these do.
#7 - Jakg
Try setting AA to 2x and see how your FPS is. I'd leave those other settings well alone, and just change "Texture Filtering" to "High Quality"

EDIT - Link in my signature you might like.
FPA is around 30-35 online with those settings and 12-- resolution. Put AA to 4x and fps didnt seem to drop but it was extrememly choppy.
That FPS still sounds to low, Have you got V-sync tuned on? if so turn it off.
Quote from The Moose :That FPS still sounds to low, Have you got V-sync tuned on? if so turn it off.

yes its on, now its off!
How are fps now?
Sadly, you bought a low end gfx card, a 7600 might have been a much better choice.
As long as you play only lfs and not next gen games you should be fine.
Quote from Fabri91 :How are fps now?
Sadly, you bought a low end gfx card, a 7600 might have been a much better choice.
As long as you play only lfs and not next gen games you should be fine.

Well basically i dont have mych money, the card i bought was a stretch as is.

Frankly I have more important things to spend my money on, so this will suffice. FPS are now around 40-45 online with 20-25 racers. Im happy with that, the graphics are a major improvement, and im still getting more fps than i was before i got the card.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG