Auto Cancelling Indicators
(38 posts, started )
Regardless of which one of you is right (if either) you have both ably demonstrated my point: If you use the indicator to tell another car which side to pass on, it might get misinterpreted and cause an accident. Much better to just use body language instead, then there is no ambiguity.
Or you could just do what several elderly drivers did to me today.

Forget the indicators altogether, travel at 20mph below the limit, then brake when you see another car approach on the other side of the road.

Then, takethe right hand lane into a roundabout knowing full well that you will cut me up when you get to your exit. Oh yes, and pull over at random when you see something at the side of the road to gawp at. Not to mention travelling in a bloody convoy, thus preventing any hope of an overtaking manouvre!

Sorry, had a bad journey home this evening, needed to get that off my chest.

God, you could tell it was a Bank Holiday..
Why would anyone use the indicators to show which side the car behind should pass on? It's just silly. For years we have indicators ingrained in our brains to show which way the indicating car will go. So in racing it will be second nature to say 'ah, he's indicating left, which means he is going to move/stay left, so I'll pass on the right'. As soon as you start doing to opposite to common sense/second nature, accidents ARE going to happen.
If I'm being lapped, which happens ALL the time , I go to one side of the track, lets say the right, put my indicator on indicating right. I've NEVER had an incident. Pretty straight forward / obvious really...anyone who's lapped me wanna comment?
But to get back OT yes it would be handy if I didn't have to shut them off manually...signal, let it blink 10-15 times then automatic shut off
Quote from wark :

As per the OP: -1, but I'd like to be able to press the same signal button again to turn it back off, à la push-push. (instead of using an extra off button).

this can be achieved with logitech profiler
Quote from KSheppard :If I'm being lapped, which happens ALL the time , I go to one side of the track, lets say the right, put my indicator on indicating right. I've NEVER had an incident. Pretty straight forward / obvious really...anyone who's lapped me wanna comment?

If you'd gone to one side of the track and not used the indicator at all, what do you think would've happened?
#33 - wark
Quote from thisnameistaken :If you'd gone to one side of the track and not used the indicator at all, what do you think would've happened?

Sorry I could have been clearer...as I exit a left hander that naturally flows the racing line to the right,and, as a lapping car exits behind me, I'll signal right to indicate that, even though i'm on the racing line that I'll stay to that side....body language & signals.

Point was that I don't signal to the right to go left.
The first time I used signals to indicate how the pass hould occur, I indicated what side the faster driver should pass on. It was a reaction, and I've done it since. There's a lot of difference between driving a car on the road and driving a car on the race track, so the rules aren't always the same.
#36 - wark
Quote from nfsjunkie91 :The first time I used signals to indicate how the pass hould occur, I indicated what side the faster driver should pass on. It was a reaction, and I've done it since. There's a lot of difference between driving a car on the road and driving a car on the race track, so the rules aren't always the same.

I see you just turned 16. How long you been driving?

I imagine you will soon find the real differences lie between online and offline driving; not as much road & track.

Some day you will be driving on a narrow two lane highway with no shoulder and no turnouts, and the slower car in front of you will turn his right signal on [without changing speed] as if he were going to pull over (perhaps off a cliff?) to tell you that there is no oncoming traffic and it is safe to pass. At this moment you would realise how absurd it would have seemed if he had turned his left signal on instead. You would have thought it an accident, as there is only one side to pass on, and only one meaning each signal has in the real world with real, licensed drivers, and police regulation.

It is this philosophy (real world road experience) that is brought onto the racetrack--not the unregulated whims of a teenager on a computer simulation.
Most (by a LONG way) race drivers also drive on the road. It would make sense if both used the indicators in the sub-concsious way we use on the road - indicate left means I am moving left. To make drivers in a race situation have to use a conscious thought process to work the safe way out would be a recipe for disaster.
Quote from tristancliffe :Why would anyone use the indicators to show which side the car behind should pass on? It's just silly. For years we have indicators ingrained in our brains to show which way the indicating car will go. So in racing it will be second nature to say 'ah, he's indicating left, which means he is going to move/stay left, so I'll pass on the right'. As soon as you start doing to opposite to common sense/second nature, accidents ARE going to happen.

The same thing can be said for sticking your arm out when you're in a open wheeler, but still it's used to indicate the side you'd like to be passed on.
Anyhow, I was watching v8 supercars last night and spotted this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK51L0750FY

I must say that doing point-by's can be confusing and possibly dangerous. I do however think they do have a value in racing because it let's the overtaking party know that you saw him, but to actually use it for telling on which side to pass on might prove dangerous if 2 persons have different ideas...

sorry for the jump btw

Auto Cancelling Indicators
(38 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG