The online racing simulator
Stormy races and the points ...
Today we had a few races on AS7R with stormy winds. Only one of all the guys racing was able to manage to get a 'good' laptime. But even this guy got only 5 points for his win. All other finished racers got ZERO points ... this was really demotivating people. With wind on it's really hard to get a decent laptime, which finally is needed to get some points at the end of the race.

Maybe it's possible that the X-System is having a bit more tolerance on the laptimes when strange winds blowing around the track?
#2 - FL!P
This issue has already been raised and we were told that the next version will take the wind into account when attributing points.
So I'm sorry for double reflecting this. This forum is so huge, I missed to find anything about this. Oh, and yes, I used the 'Search' function.

Thanks Flip for telling me this.
#4 - FL!P
No problemo!
check out here Xdream.......

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=29925

SamH posted this in that thread:
Quote :If there's an error in the coding, and high winds are seen more often than intended, please raise a report and choose a replay from that session.

I was there too Sam and we had i think 6 or 7 races with consistently high winds, just so you are aware
Thanks for the link buddie.

Hurricane Dean ... what a matching title! I thought the thread is really about the Hurricane, so I didn't read it ...
great racing with you today, despite the wind! I think we did 7 races and no points

you know its tough when national drivers dont even get points due to the wind!

was fun all the same
Thanks Stable, yeah was great fun today. Also great racing with you!!

And - omg - Matze has really done some awesome laps while 'Dean' blowed us all off the track.
#9 - FL!P
Quote from StableX :I was there too Sam and we had i think 6 or 7 races with consistently high winds, just so you are aware

Well, the wind level (high, low, none) changes only when the track changes. In a same session (several races in a row on the same track) only wind direction and speed change slightly between races (randomized by LFS). So if high winds have been picked by X-system at the last track change, the wind will remain high for LFS until the track changes again.

I hope that makes sense.
Quote from FL!P :Well, the wind level changes only when the track changes. In a same session (several races in a row on the same track) only wind direction and speed change slightly between races (randomized by LFS). So if high winds have been picked at the last track change, the wind will remain high until the track changes again.

thanks for that... crikey, thats a right pain. No wonder we had an hour or more of high wind!
Even though becky could set /wind on a per restart basis...
Think about it dustin, if I did that people would not be expecting the high winds when they came and it would cause huge accidents. Setting wind on a track change lets the drivers get used to the level of the wind.
I know, I was just thinking, how there's the huge "FUEL WARNING!", do a "WIND FORECAST! HIGH WINDS!" :P
I love and hate the high wind setting

Love it because it makes it much more challenging and forces even alien driver to drive within their limits abit more, but hate it because it often proves to be too much of a challenge for the less experienced and races can turn into chaos quickly.

But overall it's good, although probably abit wearisome with the lenght of time between track changes
I still cannot remember a time, when wind has ever affected me, or that I had even noticed the wind at all. I dont normally drive downforce cars or single seaters so this maybe why. I guess I will look out for it when im vroooooming up the road in my gt1.
Quote from richy :I still cannot remember a time, when wind has ever affected me, or that I had even noticed the wind at all.

Trust me, drive the FOX in a 50kmh wind and you know about it.
A great challenge but also very frustrating at times.
Quote from The Moose :Trust me, drive the FOX in a 50kmh wind and you know about it.
A great challenge but also very frustrating at times.

humm now that i'm platinum you may see me more on the single seater server, you may wish you didn't say that. Just kidding i'm not that bad really.
I meant to post this a while ago but your server has stolen so much of my time that by the time I log off, it's time for bed

Anywho, I'll get to the point.
I love wind and I love the fact that CTRA uses the option. With that said, however, I'd suggest to remove "high" from the servers for the time being.
Here's why. As us people that have been here for a while know, aero is far from finished in LFS. As such, high wind tends to affect the car in a rather unnatural fashion. This is all great and dandy as long as you're not fighting for a spot door to door with someone.
Quite often, this results in very sad and harsh crashes that would realistically not be there.

My other concern is the same as OP's.
Since all the CTRA WR's are set with no wind on the track (or low wind), getting a decent amount of points with high wind is close to impossible. For us that are still bronzers and coppers, this makes winning bitter sweet.
Untill X takes wind into consideration in terms of % needed for points, I'd suggest to remove the "high" wind setting.
Mild and low still change the race quite a bit but make it possible to go forward in the CTRA career, IMO.

As I know that the next version of X will take care of this, it's not a huge concern. I'm more worried about the quality of races and "fights" for position.

Cheers

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG