The online racing simulator
Server crashing - malicious or not?
(11 posts, closed, started )
I can't keep our server up for long before it crashes. It's been stable up until Saturday evening and nothing has changed server-side to account for the crashes. This post seems to suggest that a server crasher is in the wild and being used to bring down servers.

Anyone with more info?
The Antichrist of server hosting has come!

lol.
There are four serious bugs in LFS server. Two of them allowing remote code execution (and remote crashing the server), the other two allowing crashing the server. The bug was reported 5th Aug, and since 14 Aug the proof of koncept has become available for script kiddies. I'm not going to give you any links, search for yourself, if interested. My recommendation is to set passwords on your servers, until it will be fixed. The server still can be crashed, but the attacker has to know the password. All of our public Actual Linux servers were crashed systematically. It seems to me, that all threads here at forum about this bug has been closed or deleted.
Thanks for the info. I've now found the details. Password going on until hotfix released.
#5 - Jakg
Just fyi, from what i've heard you don't even need an S2 account to do this, so i'm not sure what a password would actually do.
So demo servers can be crashed?.
#7 - Jakg
Yes, they can, i meant that a server can be crashed without the crasher needing to even have an S2 License - it's so early in the connection that tbh i don't think a password could stop it but i'd like to be proved wrong.
Quote from Jakg :Yes, they can, i meant that a server can be crashed without the crasher needing to even have an S2 License - it's so early in the connection that tbh i don't think a password could stop it but i'd like to be proved wrong.

Our server has been up since the password was applied (cue script kiddie attack).
Quote from Jakg :Just fyi, from what i've heard you don't even need an S2 account to do this, so i'm not sure what a password would actually do.

You're right, the atacker don't need the S2 account. If the server is protected by a password, then the attacker needs to know it (at least for published proof of concept). Both demo and S2 severs can be crashed. Please don't ask for details here.
I've simply added in a script into my InSim Application that realises its lost connection.

It then attempts to reconnect 3 times (with a 20 second gap), if it fails to connect the application then reloads the LFS.exe with the correct configuration file - then reconnects to the InSim protocol.

I know its not a "fix", but its atleast a part time solution!
This thread is closed

(11 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG