The online racing simulator
Few Q's about future versions
(24 posts, started )
Just out of curiousity,

does anyone know if or heard rumours that there is going to be rain in future versions of LFS? it would be awesome, although im guessing hard to make work in the game.

and also, i doubt it, but it would be awesome if in future versions you could select a full track area to free roam in where all the sections are open and you can just race around wherever you want. its just iv found some corners that would be wicked and challanging but because no track combination allows the good entry and exit for it i cant have a go.

if you have any info so i can stop wishing and start waiting would be great
cheers
Don't expect rain before S3. And don't expect S3 to get released anytime soon.
yeah was thinking itd be something like that if it comes at all ay.
cheers for reply
Dynamic weather is on Scawen's list, but as deggis said don't expect it any time soon.

The free roam thing would need a lot of recoding of the graphics engine, so don't expect that at all
Quote from deggis :Don't expect rain before S3. And don't expect S3 to get released anytime soon.

don't expect S3 released in this decade.
Quote from geeman1 :The free roam thing would need a lot of recoding of the graphics engine, so don't expect that at all

thats on the list to get lfs rain ready anyway so its at least a possibility
This lot should all really get posted in the Improvement Suggestions section, but it comes up time and time again.
What should really be strived for, imho, is not just rain but dynamnic weather, so you have to come in and change tyres when conditions change during a race.
Quote from geeman1 :Dynamic weather is on Scawen's list, but as deggis said don't expect it any time soon.

The free roam thing would need a lot of recoding of the graphics engine, so don't expect that at all

ahhh ok i always thought it just loaded the whole area but just had baracades up and a reset thing so you couldnt get into them
Quote from Shotglass :thats on the list to get lfs rain ready anyway so its at least a possibility

You don't need to rewrite the whole graphics code just to add rain.

Anyway, I am not saying it couldn't happen. Just that it needs a quite a lot of changes and as it does not add much to racing I don't think it has a big priority.
Quote from geeman1 :You don't need to rewrite the whole graphics code just to add rain.

You do if the current graphics engine won't support rain
Quote from danowat :You do if the current graphics engine won't support rain

Or you could just add the rain stuff on top of the old graphics engine
Throwing out old code is never a good idea.
Doesn't always work like that, anyway, it's all just speculation, we have no idea if/went/how/what or where.
I just don't see why would the track rendering code need to be totally rewritten because of rain. Rain is only a layer on top of the tracks and the rest of the graphics. So it probably could be implemented by adding code to the original graphics engine.
I guess it could depend on how grip is calculated. Right now it's the same all over the track. If you want to have varying degrees of dampness and vary the slip the track may (probably) need to be remade with multiple surface areas.

Under the bridge in Blackwood, for instance, will be dry pretty much all the time, whereas the open areas wll get soaked. The end of that same straight will collect water because it's at the bottom of a hill, so it will be more slippery than the start area.

If there's no defined "areas" overlaid on the tracks now, which the current 'no change in grip off the line' model suggests (and why would there be since it's never been needed?) then some work will need to be done. It might not need a complete redeisgn per se, but it will need reworked.
Well it depends on the quality of rain we all expect in LFS.

You could just have it the same wetness all over.

edit:

Heres a thought. The way dirt registers on the F9 key, you could have A blue square which could mean water on the tyres and permanently slippy.
from my understanding you have to rewrite quite a huge protion to move from one dx version to another (which is likely to happen sometime in the future)
additionally there is no way around making lfs multithreaded at some point in the future which will include detaching the graphics engine from everything else which in turn will make rewriting that bit much more modular independent and "easy"
Quote from richy :Heres a thought. The way dirt registers on the F9 key, you could have A blue square which could mean water on the tyres and permanently slippy.

Wouldn't it just be easier to look at the road and see whether it's wet or not?
lol I dont know. just thought it would be funny seeing a blue square on the tyre instead of brown.
Quote from richy :lol I dont know. just thought it would be funny seeing a blue square on the tyre instead of brown.

I think you forgot that the tire already is blue (when cold) so it might be hard to see the water spot.
Quote from ans7812 :I think you forgot that the tire already is blue (when cold) so it might be hard to see the water spot.

lol maybe like a silvery dark grey with a hint of blue and white speckles on it. Like, sort of rainy.
Quote from richy :lol maybe like a silvery dark grey with a hint of blue and white speckles on it. Like, sort of rainy.

Fashion Designer Simulator is due for May of next year.
Sounds a little pointless. I stand by my "looking at the track" idea, cause you should technically be doing that anyway
What will happen when we get past Patch Z?
Quote from J@tko :What will happen when we get past Patch Z?

The world will implode.

Really, I'm sure the devs can come up with a suitable version number.

(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG