The online racing simulator
Help!!!! ISP Blocked?
(8 posts, started )
Help!!!! ISP Blocked?
Well look at this. I can't get into the LFS Master Server. I can not access the forums or the main site as well. Actually the only way I am getting here now is through a proxy. I think that means my ISP blocked/is blocked from lfs. Is this possible?

EDIT: I am now SOMETIMES able to access the forums without a proxy, but I can not play online at the moment.
#2 - ajp71
There have been quite a few reports of this recently due to out of date ISP DNS servers. You could try switching to http://www.opendns.com/
What exactly would that do?

And how does it work?
check your firewall and stuff lol i dont know my moms the pc nerd
Your fault for looking at pron!

Are you the admin of your PC?
I have no firewall, and I have raced with my antivirus before, but closing it didn't work either.

And yeah I am
How do u connect to the internet? ADSL modem? If so it may have a firewall built in which is blocking LFS sites.
#8 - FL!P
Quote from Cr!t!calDrift :What exactly would that do?

And how does it work?

Basically, DNS servers translate the domain name in the urls you request (like www.lfsforum.net) into the server's IP address (like 208.69.32.139). This is done by looking up the domain name in a huge database, but since there are DNS servers all around the world (most ISPs have their own to speed up accesses) these servers have to keep their copy of that database up-to-date. They do it automatically, by sharing the changes done to their copy with the other DNS servers around them. So when a domain name is created, for example, it will take a few days for this change to propagate to all the DNS servers around the world.

It may also happen that some entries in a DNS server's database somewhere get corrupted, or changed by mistake, and this erroneous data will propagate too, causing the kind of trouble that many of us have experienced in the last couple of weeks.

OpenDns.com provides the same service, but apparently they maintain their own copy of the domain names database, where the errors that made lfs servers unreachable didn't propagate. So if this is your case too, switching from using your ISP's DNS server to OpenDns' would fix the problem. See their site for detailed how to's.

Flip

Help!!!! ISP Blocked?
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG