The online racing simulator
Damage when there isn't none?
(35 posts, started )
Bit of a wierd one this.........

I was racing (poorly) in the FOX at Fern Bay last night (CTRA SS), when I missed my braking point (by miles) at the chicane and slamming into the immovable tyres.
On looking at the "damage screen", I noticed the car was completely undamaged, however the car was a real pig to drive, the brakes seemed to have gone VERY sharp, or the front end grip was gone.

So my question is this, even though there is no damage on the suspension screen, can the car still be damaged?, it's not the first time I have noticed it.
the tires may have been deformed (can happen without suspension damage)?
YES. That screen only shows damage to suspension. However especially on the SS cars you will very much notice bent wings.

You cant see those unless in TV view though.
Yes it can. If you have a big front crash it can happen that the whole front wheelbase is pushed towards you, comically without bending any of the suspension arms. The result is that the caster becomes less negative, or in extreme cases even positive, which is usually quite noticeable by the FF wheel resistance lowering or reverting.
Ahhh.....nice one, thats actually pretty good, so even though the F display doesnt show damage, you could still be damaged
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :the tires may have been deformed (can happen without suspension damage)?

No, the tyres don't have any other damage forms other than wear and popping due to wear/heat implemented.
Quote from SpikeyMarcoD :YES. That screen only shows damage to suspension. However especially on the SS cars you will very much notice bent wings.

No, downforce loss due to bent wings is not yet implemented in LFS.
OK thanks for info. Just assumed it was my busted front wing that did not allow me to steer in properly. It also makes a busted sound.

How you know what is and is not in the system? Its not in the WIKI-Manual is it?
Well, it's not like the devs have written the wiki manual
How I know what's in it? Nearly five years of experience. I don't say I know everything (for example, the tyre surface heat was long hidden), but it's pretty obvious that wing damage doesn't affect downforce right now if you do a bit of testing.

What CAN happen though is that on a front crash the wing gets bent downwards so that you actually "bottom out" all the time, lifting your front wheels in the air to some extent. This would explain poor steering and weird noises
#9 - richy
I notice this all the time. I definately feel the changes in Force feedback and while cornering at fast pace but F9 view has no damage showing on it at all. Always assumed I had bend the whole chassis and pushed the axle backwards shortening the XFR's wheelbase.
I have been playing LFS for nigh on 5 years, and I didn't realise that you could get damage without it showing on the F9 screen!!!!!
lol the first time I got 2 red broken suspension parts and could still drive a whole lap I realised not to trust that screen much.
Quote from AndroidXP :No, the tyres don't have any other damage forms other than wear and popping due to wear/heat implemented.

duh...u know what i mean...grrrr.
being bend torwards the driver (inclusive suspension).
just dont know the right words for it.
No, I didn't know what you mean. Being bent towards the driver is *just* suspension damage. Has nothing to do with the tyres
the tires dont remain in their "normal" position - tire damage
Nope, the tyres are completely unharmed. The wheels get bent into a different position, though they are also unharmed. There is no damage to them, only to the suspension which the wheels are attached to.
I usually end up with the front wing dragging on the ground in the FOX, that basically gives you no braking and lots of understeer.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I usually end up with the front wing dragging on the ground in the FOX, that basically gives you no braking and lots of understeer.

Change brake bias to the rear?
:doh:
Quote from AndroidXP :Nope, the tyres are completely unharmed. The wheels get bent into a different position, though they are also unharmed. There is no damage to them, only to the suspension which the wheels are attached to.

lol as i already said, i know that.
but for me this is the easiest way to explain it.
Yeah i have experienced the same thing, i noticed that the damage readings where non existant / negligable, however the car was very unstable.

What appears to have happened (for me at least) it has damaged the front and rear wing... causing the car's downforce to screw you over.

that is what has happened to me at least... dont know about you guys
Quote from DANDAMAN05 :
What appears to have happened (for me at least) it has damaged the front and rear wing... causing the car's downforce to screw you over.

Can't be possible as aero damage isn't modeled. But it might be the weight getting transferred, as LFS calculates the weight balance of the car by the shape...or the model, what ever is the correct expression.

And isn't that thread title a double negative?
Sure is
Quote from diablo21 :Change brake bias to the rear?

I would opt for a little visit to the pits if i am able to.
I really cant wait till the one update, if ever, that makes wheels come off completely. This is the one that I think will make the game so much different.
Quote from danowat :Bit of a wierd one this.........

I was racing (poorly) in the FOX at Fern Bay last night (CTRA SS), when I missed my braking point (by miles) at the chicane and slamming into the immovable tyres.
On looking at the "damage screen", I noticed the car was completely undamaged, however the car was a real pig to drive, the brakes seemed to have gone VERY sharp, or the front end grip was gone.

So my question is this, even though there is no damage on the suspension screen, can the car still be damaged?, it's not the first time I have noticed it.

Noticed this many times. Some times it even happends the other way round. Crashing, looking at the damage tingy where it states that the car is heavily damaged, but I still can drive like nothing happened.

I hope the damage detection gets a work before S2 final.

(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG