The online racing simulator
New S2 user question
(12 posts, started )
New S2 user question
First of all very big thank you to a small team of developers for bringing LFS to market. After playing demo I decided to take a plunge
though at the back of my mind I was kinda thinking to wait till NetKarPro 1.3 multiplayer patch comes at September. But Heck LFS was just too good to pass by.
One question though , when I join servers I always see cars without
skin (mostly they are all white). I don't want to have 1024 skins just for a simple reason that I don't care that much how those cars look,
another reason I just don't want those skins to take space at my PC,
and third one my PC is not that fast so I try to minimize load just to keep FPS high.
but what I do care is when cars don't have ANY skin.
So my question is Is there a possibility to turn on generic skins for those cars that have 1024 skins .
Thanks in advance.
If you don't pay for 1024 skins then you get the 512 ones.

If you don't get skins, then you haven't turned on auto skin download or smth similar. Please search in options.

Next time please post in the appropriate forum: LFS Beginners Forum
#3 - ajp71
512x512 skin downloading is still free (and should be enabled by default). Are you racing on S2 servers? Only the S1/S2 servers have the automatic skin downloading, demo doesn't.

It could be that it's turned off some how, if so go options, misc and set 'car skins download' to 512.
The reason you see cars that are all white is because the skins aren't downloaded; usually because the skin that player is using has not been uploaded to LFSW, or you have not enabled the skin downloading feature. You could make a generic skin and replace the CAR_default.jpg skin with it to make it show instead of the white skin.
#5 - ajp71
Quote from MAGGOT :You could make a generic skin and replace the CAR_default.jpg skin with it to make it show instead of the white skin.

It should be pointed out though you'll see all cars without a skin ending up with a tinted version of this skin, so anyone using a car coloured by the colour sliders in LFS will look a bit naff.
Quote from ajp71 :It should be pointed out though you'll see all cars without a skin ending up with a tinted version of this skin, so anyone using a car coloured by the colour sliders in LFS will look a bit naff.

Yep. Quite honestly though, I see more people using the pre-packaged skins (LFSW, etc skins that come with the sim) with the colour sliders than I do people using the default skin with the colour sliders. I have no idea why anyone would do that, but whatever
#7 - ajp71
Quote from MAGGOT :Yep. Quite honestly though, I see more people using the pre-packaged skins (LFSW, etc skins that come with the sim) with the colour sliders than I do people using the default skin with the colour sliders. I have no idea why anyone would do that, but whatever

Yeah, personally I think it looks really terrible when they do that
Thanks for explaining to me how it works, I did have 1024 instead of 512, now I corrected that to 512. So how does it work if someone lets say has 1024 skin? Does the game converts it to 512 version and thats what I get instead of 1024?
Thanks
Exactly, it gets downsized to 512.
Everyone had to upload their skin to LFSW for it to be auto-downloaded. All car skins have to be 1024 when they're uploaded, all helmets 512 when they're uploaded.

The site automatically resizes these skins to 512 for cars and 256 for helmets; however both sizes are stored on the server. Until recently, the higher res ones were stored so that the owner could download them in a zip file if he lost the files locally, so that he/she could still have their skin. We recently got the option for paid 1024 downloads so now the origional resolution skins can also be downloaded client-side automatically. Which size you choose in game to download will not affect the number of cars with/without skins, as both sizes of every single skin are stored on the server.

I have one of my own questions though; when you select highres skin downloads in game, do you also get the 512 res helmets? IIRC the option says 1024 on it, but doesn't say anything about the melon-protector.
2 different options
Ah *Smacks head* can't believe I forgot that.

New S2 user question
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG