The online racing simulator
Steering lock and wheel angle
(8 posts, started )
Hi!

I know that there has been some outrage when S2 introduced severly limited wheel lock for the cars and some discussion came from that.
Today I measured the wheel angle dependent on the steering angle on a BMW Z3.
The inner wheel lock was 34,15°, so the LFS cars are quite realistic in that regard.

Something else that I would like to be able to setup though would be the steering linearity when using a DFP. The Z3 has 1040° lock to lock, which are somewhat comparable with what a DFP can offer.
After normalizing the values I measured I came to a quadratic exponent of ~0.8 for steering linearity, which in simple terms means an oversensitive steering in the beginning with steering becoming slower towards the maximum lock.
Is it possible to set this up in LFS, or could this potentially introduced in a patch?

For exact values of my measurement and a graph, see http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=236467

Cheers,
Satorian
#2 - axus
This is what Wheel Turn Compensation under Controls does. Fair enough, its not part of the setup but it is the same thing.
Good effort making the measurments though!
Quote from axus :This is what Wheel Turn Compensation under Controls does. Fair enough, its not part of the setup but it is the same thing.

How does the WTC really work and does it effect the steering rack and kinematics or just the on-screen representation of the wheel?
#5 - axus
It affects the linearity of the steering wheel, as you turn it. Here is an explaination from Slartibartfast:

Wheel Turn Compensation range: 0.00 – 1.00
This is steering non-linearity. Lower number = more linear. This setting can be of vital importance. For one thing, how do you expect or want the car to act when turning the wheel to say, 11 o’clock overhand? Also, it’s important to experiment and fine tune while timing laps. Reading slip angle is very tough in sims. It’s possible to have a car and interface that feels terrific, but do not use the front tires to their full potential.
Quote from axus :It affects the linearity of the steering wheel, as you turn it. Here is an explaination from Slartibartfast:

Wheel Turn Compensation range: 0.00 – 1.00
This is steering non-linearity. Lower number = more linear. This setting can be of vital importance. For one thing, how do you expect or want the car to act when turning the wheel to say, 11 o’clock overhand? Also, it’s important to experiment and fine tune while timing laps. Reading slip angle is very tough in sims. It’s possible to have a car and interface that feels terrific, but do not use the front tires to their full potential.

Axus

thanks for putting this up. For ages I've been wanting to race the rear wheel drive cars - but was finding them impossible to handle - going from lots of understeer to lots of oversteer very quickly. After reading this, I went & looked at my WTC setting & found it on 1.0 (so totally non-linear) - can't think that I've ever looked at this. After a quick change to 0.5 & I'm finding these cars much more controllable
Did you read that link I posted? If you've got a DFP a setting of 1 will actually be linear with the wheel setup properly.

(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG