The online racing simulator
CPU heat issues
(19 posts, started )
CPU heat issues
I'm looking to get a all copper heat sink because of my CPU overheating when I play demanding games such as FEAR. I am looking at one for my 478 P4 2.8Ghz and it says it works for prescott and doen't mention Northwood (which I think is the kind I have) processors, and my question is as follows...Does that make a real differance in terms of heatsinks? And can a prescott heatsink work on a northwood and vice Verca? the way the site mentioned this planted some doubt in my mind and if anyone has some insite on the matter is would be appreciated.
I'm no Intel expert (more of an AMD guy) but I would assume that the basic heatsink mounting design has not changed between Socket 478 and Socket 775. Add to that the fact that some Prescotts are Socket 478, and it seems that any recent heatsink should accomodate both sockets, regardless of the core.
If you have the space and money, buy a heatpipe design. I've got the Zalman 9500-CU and got an instant 10 degree drop from a copper cooler.
Quote from Forbin :I'm no Intel expert (more of an AMD guy) but I would assume that the basic heatsink mounting design has not changed between Socket 478 and Socket 775. Add to that the fact that some Prescotts are Socket 478, and it seems that any recent heatsink should accomodate both sockets, regardless of the core.

-If you have the space and money, buy a heatpipe design. I've got the Zalman 9500-CU and got an instant 10 degree drop from a copper cooler. -

Thanks all input on the issue is greatly appreciated !
A simple solution which helped me to reduce the heat by almost 20° Celsius: After three years of use, dust just hindered the ventilation. So clean the vent carefully with a vacuum cleaner
#6 - ORION
omg4ge :O

you are really crazy if you have so mu dust inside it that it makes 20°C difference...

Well, when you apply some new arctic silver, you'll get off another 10°C maybe, but I guess you are still at 60°C then ROFL ;D

Some general idea: just buy the cooler for your socket/cpu with the highest GHz rating, you can NEVER have too much cooling
Quote from ORION :you can NEVER have too much cooling

Unless you get close to absolute zero, in which case the electrons move a lot slower...
Actually, when the material reaches close to absolute zero, don't we have a superconductor then? Meaning currency moving without atom collision meaning no heat generation at all. But I'm no physics expert, so I'll shut up

Back to topic, I have an A64 3200+ and the standard AMD cooler. My idle temp is 36° and max. at 53°. Although I have to admit, that I have a special casemod to allow this; basically a hole with... err... about 10cm in diameter and sort of a plastic tube directly "over" the CPU, so the CPU gets all the fresh cool air instead of the relatively hot air in the PC.

This did
1) Reduce the ambient temperature in the whole PC
2) Reduce the amount of noise because the CPU fan runs at much lower speeds, right now at 1340RPM

The only problem I have now is the GFX card temperature I have a 6600GT, which unfortunately heats up to 90° (why, hello mr. graphic error) in graphics intense games (RBR for example) even though another fan is directly blowing at it. I'll probably need a better cooler on this, because the current one seems to be undersized :irked:.
Quote from AndroidXP : The only problem I have now is the GFX card temperature I have a 6600GT, which unfortunately heats up to 90° (why, hello mr. graphic error) in graphics intense games (RBR for example) even though another fan is directly blowing at it. I'll probably need a better cooler on this, because the current one seems to be undersized :irked:.

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit but, if u dont mind voiding the warranty, try putting arctic silver or ceramique paste on there instead of the default stuff. Brought my temps down quite a bit on my 6600GT. I think though the problem is the stock cooler, just not very good on the 6600GT.

Back O/T as for CPU cooling, same thing, try arctic paste, and go for a cooler with the highest ghz rating, but also a speed controller for when its idling, ie if you are working the worst thing to have is a noisy cpu fan going at full whack.
Quote from AndroidXP :Actually, when the material reaches close to absolute zero, don't we have a superconductor then? Meaning currency moving without atom collision meaning no heat generation at all. But I'm no physics expert, so I'll shut up

You could be right, I don't know. Like you, I'm no physics expert. Just an EE student. I don't concern myself so much with how everything works on the atomic level.
Quote from pb32000 :Sorry to hijack this thread a bit but, if u dont mind voiding the warranty, try putting arctic silver or ceramique paste on there instead of the default stuff. Brought my temps down quite a bit on my 6600GT. I think though the problem is the stock cooler, just not very good on the 6600GT

Definately. A lot of the 6 series nVidia cards have absolute bollocks coolers on. I've got an arctic cooling cooler on my 6800 and it makes over 20 degrees difference. Tbh, if you can afford it, the Arctic Cooling coolers are a very good price for the difference they make (just dont make the mistake I made and buy an AC case ).
my 6800 runs at just under 60deg and gets to about 73deg under load. its a plain old XFX 6800 128Mb.

it has the fan it came with, would it be worth my while putting some paste on there too? is the fan easily removed?

i seriously dont want to mess my GFX card.....but im reasonably competent at this stuff seeing as i build my pc from the ground up.

on another note, how much difference does 'resetting' the thermal paste on the CPU make?
mine used to run at 40deg, and is always at about 49deg now.
ive got a new fan on the way anyway, but i take it this creep in temperatures is just caused by the paste degrading and some dust. (i hoover out my case now and again )
Careful about hoovering. Static electricity builds up! Blowing the dust is safer.

Bogey, changing the paste is a breeze.
Changing paste, or coolers is a breeze (no pun intended).

As Sladi says, vacuuming can be very; try compressed air, or ideally deionised air!
Make sure you get a good seal between the heatsink and the cpu. Get a tube of Arctic Silver paste and apply some to your current heatsink and try it again, that should lower your temps slightly. A tube does loads of heatsink changes. Obviously make sure the heatsink and cpu are clean before reapplying new paste.

I wouldnt recommend hovering, just give it a good blow (*grins*) or go and buy a can of compressed air.

Another thing to consider is airflow in your PC, do you have something drawing hot air out, if not invest in a exhaust fan, there only a few pounds and are really effective.
Tbh I'm not such a FAN of the Artic Silver stuff at the moment. It works very well on some of my systems, but extremely poorly on others; it appears to be very very tempermental over what its put on. Too much is also bad. Its only there to fill any microscopic gaps, as it conducts better than air.

As Stellios says, airflow is important. The ATX standard is suck air in the front and pushing it out of the back. The upcoming BTX standard is pretty much the same, except 1 larger fan is placed in the case and it acts to suck in, blow over the CPU, Chipset, graphics card, and then out the rear. Apparently its much better.

There are, of course, some more radical ideas - my current case is an Artic Cooling T1 (butchered a bit to fit everything in as its very very exact on the ATX standard - unfortunately not many mobo manufacturers are). It sucks in the rear, through 2 fans at the top where the PSU would normally be, then flows over the CPU down infront of the drives and then out through the PSU which is at the bottom front. Its very cool, but if it dies I'm screwed. My short novel is just a point to say, follow the standards!
I'm am going to get some artic silver, when I order a new heatsink, but yeah I do have and exhaust fan as well as two intake fans. Going to the point of graphics cards though, I have a 6800 oc and I'm also looking to replace that heat sink as well .

Wow this turned ou to be pretty decent thread, thank for all of the input.
If its the BFG you have then i have heard complaints for the stock heatsink being quite ineffective since they started using their own design, which could be causing more heat in your case.
Yeah I also have taken that into consideration and it is a crappy heatsink, but I don't think it is having a large heat influence because I keep the case window open and I also do my best to get cooler outside air too it.

Sorry for the slow response The power has been out around here bc of ice.

CPU heat issues
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG