The online racing simulator
Whats the difference
(12 posts, started )
Whats the difference
Well I just Upgraded to Vista Ultimate from Home Premium which is a gift from my sister but she bought a 32 BIT edition not 64 which was my home premium one; but the thing is I don't see any difference whether playing LFS or rendering with 3ds max i can't seem to find any difference between so whats the difference between x86 and x86-64? talk me out of it before i switch back to home premium or XP
Screw it, switch back to XP anyway
#3 - Jakg
Quote from anik360 :Well I just Upgraded to Vista Ultimate from Home Premium which is a gift from my sister but she bought a 32 BIT edition not 64 which was my home premium one; but the thing is I don't see any difference whether playing LFS or rendering with 3ds max i can't seem to find any difference between so whats the difference between x86 and x86-64? talk me out of it before i switch back to home premium or XP

Did you just go from Ultimate 64 bit to Home Premium 32 bit and think it's an upgrade?! Ultimate has more (completely pointless) features, and 64 bit A. makes it a (little) faster and B. Lets it use more RAM (32-bit can use between 2.75 GB and 3.25 GB RAM - iirc Home Premium 64 bit can use up to 16 GB and Ultimate 64 can use up to 128 GB of RAM - which may sound excessive, but with the ubercheap price of DDR2 atm 4 GB of RAM isn't a bad upgrade).

64 bit does have some compatibility issues - currently on my copy of Home Premium 64 bit the display drivers crash a fair amount (fixed after going back to an older version - 158.22) and the fact that the copy of Brazil is still in Beta (which means no rendering, which is a pain as it's one of the main reasons i got a Quad :schwitz

TBH atm i can't see what makes Vista 64 bit so much better than XP 64 except for Aero, but i'm sure things will change.

A. Nonymous, a 64-bit user. Now if only people would code apps SPECIFICALLY for 64 bit and not just port them.
i do have faster ram ddr2 667 2gb is enough and i have *cough*Pentium D920*cough* and x1650 pro and i see no difference when i tried the x64 ultimate and rendering with 3ds max and x32 which took the same amount of time then m$oft is ripping us off by selling x64 versions then and P.S the ultimate she bought is retail and no upgrade dvd
#5 - ZORER
Quote from anik360 :Well I just Upgraded to Vista Ultimate from Home Premium which is a gift from my sister but she bought a 32 BIT edition not 64 which was my home premium one; but the thing is I don't see any difference whether playing LFS or rendering with 3ds max i can't seem to find any difference between so whats the difference between x86 and x86-64? talk me out of it before i switch back to home premium or XP

As far as i know, the difference between 32 and 64 bit system is not the speed.It is about the ability to process more data at the same time.it's like two trucks carrying goods at the same speed but the 64 bit truck can carry more goods. I tested both 32 and 64 bit versions of 3dmax and they render the same scene exactly the same amount of time.But, imagine a scene with 10.000.000 polygons or even more i think the 64 bit version will handle it better. I'm not sure but this is what i know about this.
I think a 64bit version will only make difference if all your comp parts support 64bits, ie a mobo like the one i have: asus p4W64ws, and processors like amd 64 or intel core2duo
#7 - Jakg
Quote from Funnycat :I think a 64bit version will only make difference if all your comp parts support 64bits, ie a mobo like the one i have: asus p4W64ws, and processors like amd 64 or intel core2duo

Erm, you don't need a 64 bit motherboard (a gimic), you just need a 64-bit CPU, ie the Athlon 64/X2 or Turion, Core 2 Duo/Quad or other EMT64-enabled CPU.
Quote from Jakg :Erm, you don't need a 64 bit motherboard (a gimic), you just need a 64-bit CPU, ie the Athlon 64/X2 or Turion, Core 2 Duo/Quad or other EMT64-enabled CPU.

Whatever.
#9 - Jakg
64 bit atm runs apps at the same speed, but the OS is a little "snappier" because apps are just ported to 64-bit, and not coded to take advantage of it's features. I can't see this changing instantly any time soon, but i'm happy with my copy of 64-bit!
In very easy words, if your 64-bit processor is in 32-bit mode (Using 32-bit Windows Vista for example), then it can sum 2 32-bit numbers with one go, but in 64-bit mode can sum 2 64-bit numbers at one go. So, there is no difference in perfomance if a program only wants to sum 2 numbers equal to or less than 32-bits. And most programs don't support 64-bit either.
^^^Now thats the answer i was lookin' for thanks for clearing out dude
Quote from Jakg :because apps are just ported to 64-bit, and not coded to take advantage of it's features.

and how exactly would you go about writing for 64 bit at high level ?

Whats the difference
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG