The online racing simulator
Sunset racing
(20 posts, started )
#1 - ajp71
Sunset racing
Whilst I appreciate the CTRAs desire to make our racing somewhat more interesting by using the full variety of lighting and wind options available in LFS I have found that trying to race the single seaters with the South City sunset to be rather tricky. I simply can't see the walls or other cars because it's too dark, despite my best efforts to keep the sun off my screen.

Does anybody else feel that maybe the single seaters should be restricted to daylight races only?
personally, I say put on some headlights and lets do night racing
Try adjusting your gamma settings in the gfx card options
i don´t like the sunset either... its not that i can´t see other cars,
its just its a lot harder to see where you go on the city tracks.
but, its the same for everyone

and i won´t turn up my gamma-settings like cs-cheaters, never!

this is sim-racing
Quote from ajp71 :despite my best efforts to keep the sun off my screen.

Close the curtains?
And put out the light . . . There's gunna be some lovin in here tonight . . OoooOOOOoooo, Lalalalaaaaa.
Hmm, I think I'd just leave it the way it is. Seems too risky to do anything else
#8 - SamH
My FX5500 was very dark, and I remember struggling through the chicane on SO Classic even on sunny days, so I understand how you feel!

Nail your coat to the window frame. It may be difficult and somewhat inconvenient, but it'll be easier to do that than to convince me and Becky to nail down the driving conditions
Quote from ajp71 :Whilst I appreciate the CTRAs desire to make our racing somewhat more interesting by using the full variety of lighting and wind options available in LFS I have found that trying to race the single seaters with the South City sunset to be rather tricky. I simply can't see the walls or other cars because it's too dark, despite my best efforts to keep the sun off my screen.

Does anybody else feel that maybe the single seaters should be restricted to daylight races only?

Thinking more about RL SS racing. Is there any events that are run in the evening? Cloudy yes but I am not so sure about evening races where headlights could come in handy maybe?
Quote from Viper93 :Thinking more about RL SS racing. Is there any events that are run in the evening? Cloudy yes but I am not so sure about evening races where headlights could come in handy maybe?

No proper single seater racing is done at night. There is a bit of oval racing and a proposal to run F1 at night with floodlighting, which is really like running in artificial daylight.
I too noticed the difficulty to see the walls of the chicane in sunset lighting. Should just be overcast and daylight used in SO1. Or just get someone to make a texture pack that paints the corners of those walls bright red lol
I dont see a problem with the lighting, its great to see more diverse lighting being used, sunny midday all the time is unrealistic, and these low sun settings give a little extra spice IMO

If theres too much glare in your screen thats your problem find a solution yourself rather than ask that the settings be changed.

I think its the same for everyone, just comes as more of a shock for some

If you cant see the wall or dont know where it is then slow down!

reminds me a little of all the fuss about the fog at Le Mans

SD.

EDIT: As for making a special texture pack with bright coloured walls ect, could be construde as a cheat, but who would ever know?
#13 - FL!P
^ +1
It's the same with wind, people generally don't like anything that makes them a bit slower, it's the same ego thing that stops people driving the harder cars (LX6, RAC, FZ5 etc etc)
#15 - Dru
winds at 50kph plus makes the twitchy fox a little too twitchy but i love all the different conditions used

+1
Quote from SparkyDave :I dont see a problem with the lighting, its great to see more diverse lighting being used, sunny midday all the time is unrealistic, and these low sun settings give a little extra spice IMO

I like the extra wind and using different lighting normally, just SO is too dark for me to be able to see a darkly painted FOX on my PC, I ended up turning around in front of a car I had not been able to see and by the time I can't rejoin safely I decided I'd stop adding to the chaos. It's a shame seeing as with normal lighting SO is one of the best tracks in the single seaters, although the problem is it's usually more messy than the other tracks. By the time you put a public race on it in sunset it just turns into a game of avoiding piling into the noobs who haven't seen the walls.

Maybe other people can see perfectly well on their displays, but with my rather crappy graphics card and gamma settings that I usually use I can't see a thing when I have a bit of sunlight on the screen, which unfortunately I cannot help shining through the curtains. If others can see properly without changing anything then maybe it's just me and I'll have too stop racing when this combo comes up which is a shame, but if most people are seeing what I'm seeing I can't believe you're not having major issues with it. I've seen a single seater race stopped following light conditions because people were simply driving into everything because it was too dark (not sun glare) when it was a lot brighter than the normal sunset tracks let alone SO.
I think there is a point here. If real SS drivers do not race in the evenings then maybe we shouldn't race our SSer's in the evening?

I know I have had problems with lighting aswell and turning up the contrast or brightness is a gimp fix for not being able to see properly.
I've raced in poor light conditions, in a single seater, specifically, I raced in a thunder storm.

I spun btw, but that's not what this thread is about. Most racing occurs between 10am and 6pm, and in the winter in the UK and some other countries that means we have evening light toward the end of the day.

South City's chicane is the only 'dark' corner I can think of, but mostly that darkness is caused by the shadow from the St Martins building. There's still enough light to race so I regard the circuit as having a localised hazard. It's not as if the corner isnt blind anyway, tbh i've seen enough accidents there in the daylight to know that light isnt the problem.

When we first launched I saw some attrocious driving on our new single seater server, over time it has improved and correspondingly there are fewer and fewer people blaming their problems on the system.

In time, when more of you are used to the changing lighting I think this complaint will likely dissapear too.
Never knew you'd raced cars Becky

Like I said though the light conditions round South City on my computer are far darker than the races I've seen cancelled for lack of light IRL, it's not just the chicane, it's the entire track so maybe you've got your brightness/contrast turned up so you can see things better than I can because their is no way your seeing (as little) as I'm seeing and reckon it's either safe or realistic
You may be right, I spent a fortune on this monitor so it had better be good! I also have a lot of custom textures so maybe some of mine are helping.

EDIT: I should point out, in my limited single seater experience, in heavy rain I could see ahead absolutely fine provided two conditions were true:
1) There was no traffic ahead
2) I was not turning steering wheel, at all

If either condition is not true then you can get lovely views out to the side, but visibility ahead is absolute zero:

1) Would result in a tunnel of spray that cannot be seen through. Dont believe the TV cameras in F1, it's much worse when you are in it. You navigate by looking 30 degrees left/right.
2) Would result in a wall of sheet water slapping me, and cannot easily be seen through and is somewhat uncomfortable.

Sunset racing
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG