The online racing simulator
Space hotel to open in 2012
(12 posts, started )
#1 - axus
Thats just stupid in my oppinion :/
Well, of course would it be cool to be in space, but again there would only be a chance for rich people to get a room, and the whole idea itself is just..plain stupid
Expect someone to realise a format for a reality show in that suite soon, with the most exciting moments being spent in the WC.
And all those contestants from all over the world for six accommodations in space, each one willing to kill their brothers and sell their mothers... priceless.
#4 - DeKo
Quote from The Very End :Thats just stupid in my oppinion :/
Well, of course would it be cool to be in space, but again there would only be a chance for rich people to get a room, and the whole idea itself is just..plain stupid

Why so against it? Most of the people that have enough money to go on this thing will have been succesful and earned it for themselves, so good for them. And your not paying for it to be built are you?
#5 - wien
Quote from The Very End :Thats just stupid in my oppinion :/

Why? I would love to be able to do something like that. It's outer frickin' space! What's not to love?

I would't pay $4 million to do it though (Mostly because I don't have $4 million ), but I'm sure the prices will come down if it becomes popular.
Of course, don`t misunderstand me, I would love to be there myself, and if I had the money I would do it too.
But I don`t.. well it`s just strange that we put a big ugly son of a bitch block up in space, call it a hotell and wants 4M for each person there.

But again, this is MY oppinion, and you are free to have any oppinion you want, tho it sometimes end with :bananadea
Space development needs to start somewhere. Do you mean you expect space hotels like those on Earth to just happen overnight, baddabing-Luxor-in-orbit-resort-malls-and-all? There's a whole lot more to space than just empty volumes of vacuum: there's lots of hazards (solar flares, deep space death rays, particles flying into you at km/s speeds, etc) and it is fundamentaly expensive (with technology as it is today) to break free of the Earth's gravity (about 10k$ for every kg). That's without all the other development costs, such as safety.

So.. considering all that, an unfashionably cylindrical hotel going from prototypical NASA leftover to operational to commercialized to rich folks who bring the cost down and safety up sufficiently for average folk, in about a quarter of a century.. that's pretty damn good.

In the mean time, other aspects of the space industry are progressing at comparable speed, such as space diving. Orbital Outfitters (or something like that) are already about halfway to offering suits that'll allow average people jump out of a plane from the edge of space (this high) for a reasonable price.

I could go on.. It is imperative that man explore and colonize space, just as he did Earth's land.
#8 - JTbo
I'm just very happy that there is enough stupid peopple with lot of money to fund all kind of things so I can get them lot cheaper when it becomes uncool or something
Damn right, hehe With some luck we can all go to the moon and hit off a few golf balls at Jupiter..

Personaly, when I am at the last years of my life, I would ride a one-way probe to some unexplored space destination if I could, without hesitation.
Quote from JTbo :I'm just very happy that there is enough stupid peopple with lot of money to fund all kind of things so I can get them lot cheaper when it becomes uncool or something

Well, you can wait all you want for space travel becoming uncool.

Or were you talking about Volvo, although have they been cool in the first place.
#11 - JTbo
Quote from Blackout :Well, you can wait all you want for space travel becoming uncool.

Or were you talking about Volvo, although have they been cool in the first place.

Sir, you have mixed up cool and uncool
I only realized now that this hotel has nothing to do with Bigelow AS' and Virgin's venture...
Making that hotel from scratch and getting it all ready to take guests in orbit in 5 years is probably optimistic....

And 80 minute orbits sounds nice ("Around the world in 80 days"), but that figure would equate to an orbit altitude of about 200km below ground where it'd find some technical difficulties.

(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG