The online racing simulator
Fixed Axis
(31 posts, closed, started )

Poll : Do you Use Fixed Axis

No
Yes
Fixed Axis
Just wanted to know who uses the Fixed axis function....

Look at attatchment if you are not sure what this is
Attached images
Look here.jpg
The what?
I guess he means the "fixed forward axis" setting that is available under Options > View if you're currently in the follow view. No I don't use it, because turned off it looks better when spectating other people, though I would use it if I was one of the crazy people actually driving in that view.
#4 - JTbo
When I'm driving a car, I find it easier to be inside the car rather than outside, mainly because steering wheel and seats etc. are inside the car. So there is no such option to be used.
no, it seemed wierd when i tried it.

How come peolple seem to think that we're crazy since we use the chase view? It gives a much better view of ahead and it is much easier to see cars within a few feet. Sure, it's unrealistic. But, isn't 120 degrees of FOV unrealistic too?
#6 - Lible
That view is impossible with wheel, with keyboard it's pretty good.
i dont find it impossible with wheel, quite easy in fact

Yes, when i do use chase view, i use fixed forward axi's.
Quote from Lible :That view is impossible with wheel, with keyboard it's pretty good.

Its impossible for YOU. I can drive pretty well with it.
There's no "What's it do?" option
Also, Rappa, a 120° FOV is realistic, as it provides about what a real person could see out of the drivers eyes.
A 120° fov would only be realistic if you had a huge curved screen around you, and even then the way a linear fov works it would probably look horrible. Technically the most realistic view is the one that is exactly equal to what you would see if you put a cardboard with a 19'' rectangle cut out of it one metre infront of you while sitting in your car. Which is generally a ridiculously low fov like 30° or so.

So just take the golden middle of (120+30)/2 = 75° fov :-Þ
Ok, as far as I understand from this topic, it`s something that is used when using chase veiw, but what does it exactly do?
I am confused and don`t quite understand if it has something to do with steering or camera
No - I dont use it. I dont use chase view. I treat LFS as a simulator and drive from the "sitting in the drivers seat view", like you would be if driving a real car.
Quote from The Very End :Ok, as far as I understand from this topic, it`s something that is used when using chase veiw, but what does it exactly do?
I am confused and don`t quite understand if it has something to do with steering or camera

It appears nobody is willing to share the secret info.
Quote from AndroidXP :though I would use it if I was one of the crazy people actually driving in that view.

cough cough
With the option turned off, the camera follows the center of the car (driver seat i believe but I'm not sure). Then you turn it on, it follows the front wheels and rotates perfectly with the car. This is to help people steer in chase view.

To try it out, take a car and using chase view do one doughnut with the option on, then another with it off. you will see the difference.
If fixed forward axi's is disabled - when your in chase view and go round a corner, the camera does'nt rotate with the too much, so if you go round a 90 degree corner, the camera only rotates by about 30-40 degrees (depending on speed)

if fixed forward axi's is enabled - it follows the back of your car by every degree, basically, its like a camera is hooked onto the back of the car by a camera mount or something :/

Its abit hard to explain, but if you wanna try it yourself, go into LFS, put the view on chase view, then go into options, view and then there should be an option about saying "fixed forward axi's | Yes - no

Give it a try.
Ok, so it`s basically like it was in NR2003?
If you get a wild spin the camera will be like glued to the ass on the car?

Well, I hate that, so no no no no NO!
After a little test (3 minutes to be right) i know what it does, if you have it turned off it allows the car to move about on e.g. like you are drifting into a corner the camera does not stick right behind the car.

If you have it turned on it sticks the camera right up your ass and does not move at all.

Quick solution to see my point is drive backward with it on and off to see what i meant or do dounts...... hmmmm donuts.
its hard for dorifto with Fixed Axis...
Unfixed = Camera follows direction vector of car (I think)
Fixed = Camera follows centreline of car

Either are silly, but I'd use Fixed if I did, otherwise you've got no idea how the car is handling, or how close to the limit you are.
I use cockpit cam.
Quote from tristancliffe :Unfixed = Camera follows direction vector of car (I think)
Fixed = Camera follows centreline of car

Either are silly, but I'd use Fixed if I did, otherwise you've got no idea how the car is handling, or how close to the limit you are.

Lol, it`s easy as to see how your car is handling, I would say it`s better than using the fixed camera. You can see if you slide, how close to things you are, and overall it`s great
#24 - DeKo
Apart from the total inability to see anything behind you, which basically makes any but the best chase view drivers a hazard.
I personally get lost when I use anything less than 110" FOV.
This thread is closed

Fixed Axis
(31 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG