The online racing simulator
Sound questions #2
(11 posts, started )
Sound questions #2
Hello!

I just tried my 5.1 system and I noticed two issues:

Firstly I had to turn winamp's volume down in order to hear LfS's sounds. I'm not sure if this is some strange chain of events of all the volume sliders though.

Secondly I think there should be more bass. Once I had the pleasure to be overtaken by a real rally car (ok, I was in a bus). I don't know what type of rally car it was but it's engine's sound was like a loud thunder (basswise)! Really it was incredible.

I tried to turn the volume of my subwoofer all the way up.
What do you think? pirate:

Greetings,

Sladan
For the Winamp controlling your WAVE sound slider, make sure your output plugin is not set to the waveOUT plugin

I think that fixes it (put it on DirectSound output plugin)

---

As for bass... well yeah the sounds are not that great of quality for a nice speaker system, not at all. Bass is just muffled along with the distorted sounds overall.

I really hope that if the sound gets improved, the ability to edit how the game sounds (more options) will be made.
#3 - ajp71
As for Bass, the rally car would have been passing you at low revs on a tuned production based 4 with a big exhaust, this sort of sound would only be relevant to the road cars and big V8s.
Thanks people!
You can add bass with DSP effect, if you aren't fps-greedy

Basses... I notice that they are over-revved everywhere, I mean in a cinema a spoon or a pen having been put on a table makes loud deep-bass "BOOOM", like it's several tonnes heavy. Too many things in movies, music and computer games sound too bassly without a reason.
#6 - ajp71
Quote from detail :
Basses... I notice that they are over-revved everywhere, I mean in a cinema a spoon or a pen having been put on a table makes loud deep-bass "BOOOM", like it's several tonnes heavy. Too many things in movies, music and computer games sound too bassly without a reason.

That's what I was getting at
Maybe it's similar to loudness where more volume will generally sound better, some more bass probably makes things sound a little better so they go overboard with it.
#8 - JTbo
My issue with low bass is because my soundcard is not able to drive those headphones properly, if I put headphones to tv and play same clip via digital-camrecorder I get much more alive world of sounds and much deeper bass.

I don't know if that could happen with your 5.1 system too?

When we get better audio equipment and much faster computers, future of lfs gtr-class sound might be this
That is from one video clip I found from here some time ago
What you need is a dedicated headphone amp.

Power seems not to be the problem since music alerts my neighbours for instance.

(Tomorrow I'll start building my bass-corner-horn an BOOM! :spvader

(Look here for some DIY headphone amps. If you like your TV then you'll love those amps (I built the Pimeta, it cost me around 200$ and it's high end. You can make one for 50$ or a Cmoy for 5$ too. ))

edit:
Link doesn't work.
Well the underlying issue is that the sound system in LFS is completely synthesized. This means that none of the sounds are samples and are all generated on the fly. They just need to improve the complexity of the sound system in order to better synthesize the sounds a car makes. I don’t see this happening until late in S3 as a one of the final touches.
Quote from Gimpster :Well the underlying issue is that the sound system in LFS is completely synthesized. This means that none of the sounds are samples and are all generated on the fly. They just need to improve the complexity of the sound system in order to better synthesize the sounds a car makes. I don’t see this happening until late in S3 as a one of the final touches.

I hope that's not true. The sound is the one place that virtually everyone agrees needs the most work, and the one thing that newcomers to the game always complain about (okay, it's a toss up between sound and "slippery tires"). I have a feeling that the devs have sound high on their to-do list. Perhaps once netKar comes out we'll have a basis for comparison since it also will feature a synthesized sound system. If it is far superior, then perhaps the LFS devs will look at incorporating some of its features into LFS.

Sound questions #2
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG