The online racing simulator
Steam Communities Released. Add LFS Shortcuts to Steam.
Steam Communities is released as a beta, but this has nothing to do with that exactly. You now have options to launch 3-Party games and programs.

You can add LFS to your games menu and you can specify launch parameters.

I though some users here with Steam would like this feature to have it easily accessible via the Steam Games menu with flags such as -insim 29999 etc.

Find out how to get the Steam Beta here.

I don't know much parameters, so if you know some post them here for others.
Can't understand why anyone would have Steam running when they don't need to myself.
I use Steam, I don't mind Steam that much, but I will ONLY ever have it running when I NEED to.
P.S. this is off topic IMO
Quote from danowat :Can't understand why anyone would have Steam running when they don't need to myself.
I use Steam, I don't mind Steam that much, but I will ONLY ever have it running when I NEED to.
P.S. this is off topic IMO

I usually keep Steam running 24/7.

The reason I posted it here was just to let people know that you can add launch parameters for LFS shortcuts in steam.

If a mod feels like it belongs somewhere else go ahead and move it
Yeah, I understand that, I just can't understand why you would want to use steam to launch LFS, when you could just double click the icon on the desktop.
Pretty sure you can add parameters to the shortcut if you so wished too.
Providing a solution to a non-existant problem....? +1 for no added value.
Quote from al heeley :Providing a solution to a non-existant problem....? +1 for no added value.

Damn you and your elequent use of the English language
ya boo pfhthththt! Better?
#8 - ORION
Well, if you have steam, you dont need any antivirus software, because steam kill al the virusses already lol

lfs + steam = NO WAI
Quote from danowat :Yeah, I understand that, I just can't understand why you would want to use steam to launch LFS, when you could just double click the icon on the desktop.
Pretty sure you can add parameters to the shortcut if you so wished too.

I don't use desktop icons.
Seems entirely pointless to me.
When someone has a problem, don't we recommend they close down all non-essential prgrams anyway? And while Steam doesn't have a big footprint, some people who play LFS don't have fantastic computers and need all the CPU/RAM saving they can get.

An extra program which basically stops you having to click an icon is a waste of time, memory and - if it decides to update something while you're playing - bandwidth.

On the other hand, once LFS is actually finished, Steam might be the ideal platform to distribute it. It's cheap and has a massive user base, but obviously the flipside is it had a bad rep back in the day. But that's an argument for way in the future
Quote from danowat :when you could just double click the icon on the desktop.

Put the icon in your Quick Launch bar thingy (near the start button) and you only need a SINGLE click

sorry, couldn't resist...
#14 - Jakg
Quote from tristancliffe :Put the icon in your Quick Launch bar thingy (near the start button) and you only need a SINGLE click

Make it link to a batch file and it can launch all your LFS based apps with their parameters as well, i've got LFS on the desktop, the Quick Launch and bound to a keyboard press
I don't have any LFS based apps. I try them, but I only ever use LFS on it's own. None of this silly insim apps or anything.

LFS is 100% self contained, and requires zero external applications.
#16 - Jakg
So you've never used MomoLeds? Or PitSpotter? Or what about Analyze For Speed?
I only use a handfull of apps outside of LFS,replay Analyzers, Bobs setup analzyer, the Pitboard app because I like to run LFS with Shift+F (all info cleared) but it is still nice to have some pitboard info, and LFSpoints and LFSstats.
Other than that, Vanilla LFS for me
Used MomoLEDs about 2 years ago. I will never stoop to something as unrealistic and arcadey as pitspotter. I didn't like CSR (although it sounded nice in the previews, but didn't transfer to the driving for me). I have used a RAF viewer thingy in the past - the same people that made the GP4 editor/utility thingy. But not very often as I don't think it's much benefit 99% of the time. Bob's setup tool is too complicated for it's own good (I've tried using it on my Reynard, but you need to know about 300 parameters I'll never be able to find out or measure, so I just end up using my own excel calculator which takes less than 30 seconds to set up for any car and is accurate to within a couple of mph at 150mph, which I'm hoping to convert to VB at some point). LFS stats I used to use when I was in 'The Vixen Challenge' league for Josh, but not since. I've not tried the pitboard app, and I doubt I'll bother to be honest.
Steam is a waste of EVERYBODIES time, there are some good games on it, albeit, only the Valve ones HL1 HL2 CSS CS1.6 etc.

Like dan said, you don't need to use it for all of your games, when it uses more CPU than the game itself.
Steam should be baned..
Ok, it`s usefull one way because it can be used as some sort of shortcut program, but anything more than that it`s not.
And it takes too much of your computer to run, and it`s a hell of a lot of good reasons why to not use steam.

When that is said - it`s fun that LFS have made it`s way there, but I don`t think it`s that usefull
Steam is only good for buying/downloading games. As a launch platform, and a program you NEED to have open to run certain games, its slow, ugly, takes more CPU up than I would like. I'm happy with my shortcut to LFS.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Steam is only good for buying/downloading games. As a launch platform, and a program you NEED to have open to run certain games, its slow, ugly, takes more CPU up than I would like. I'm happy with my shortcut to LFS.

What? like 0 cpu load? and a whole 7meg of ram while minimised?

I guess the idea is that you can start teamspeak via steam, but lfs? haha.
While I agree that it's not an option I'll personally use, I don't think you guys ought to jump down Panda's throat for offering another option.
I use Steam to run games such as HL2, CSS and Garry's Mod, but it is just flat out unnecessary for LFS.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :While I agree that it's not an option I'll personally use, I don't think you guys ought to jump down Panda's throat for offering another option.

yeah, how is his thread more loathworthy than the thread about LFS cards or whatever that was...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG