The online racing simulator
Quote from buedi :Updated: 21st June 2007

OK, it´s not ready yet... it has Bugs and I have so much things in my Mind which I would like to implement. Today I got to the Point I was before the Insim Changes where made. It´s not much but currently it´s working.

So have a look if you want, I recorded a little Video. Sorry for the Quality, but I was too lazy to pull out my Video Camera

I want to say "Thank you very much" to 2 guys from our Community. Without them I would not have get that far. Keep in Mind that I never programmed anything before, but I will do my best to make it a stable Application with more features than you see in the Vid ;-)

Thanks to T-RonX for his InSim base for Visual Basic .NET 2005. Without this I would have never started. It turned out that I had to rewrite many parts because they where not compatible with the .NET Compact Framework. But I think I got it all sorted

And Thanks to riskredruM for showing me how to make and hold a stable UDP Connection to the new LFS Insim System. Without you I would be still sitting here reading Docs and scratching my Head.

So... watch this: PocketLFS Preview Video

Ah yes, you don´t see it in the Vid: There is no Cable on the PDA. I use a Wifi connection... hmmm... somehow it should be possible to fix it on the Wheel

Update 21st June 2007:
  • Added the About Form just to be sure that Complains don´t go to the Developers of Live for Speed ;-)
  • Fixed some Bugs in the Code which caused Problems when connecting to Live for Speed and a Password was set.
  • Tested with Windows Mobile 2003 German / English and Windows Mobile 5.0 German, English and Russian.
Update 11th June 2007:
  • Fixed Bug: When overreving the Engine the Application hang.
Update 10th June 2007:
  • Added a Function which sets the Min / Max Values of the Rev Bar correctly.
  • Added Boost Gauge Bar (not 100% ready yet, have to find out Max. Boost for all Cars)
  • Added a Detection Routine for Screen Resolution (VGA / QVGA) and Screen Orientation (Landscape / Portrait)
  • Added Icons for VGA and QVGA PDAs
  • Fixed some Connection Bugs and cleaned up the Code
The Current Version is available for Download here:
PocketLFS Download

Umm can this work on my T-mobile DASH with Wm6 smartphone edition in it?
Quote from anik360 :Umm can this work on my T-mobile DASH with Wm6 smartphone edition in it?

I doubt it. WM6 generally shouldn´t be the Problem, but the T-Mobile Dash has a Square Display. And the Application is designed for Non-Square Displays. You can try if it runs, but it may look strange because of the Screen Resolution
#28 - Jakg
Axim x51v, WM5 - i run the latest version and i press start, i get a crash box saying:
PocketLFS1.exe
SocketException
An error message cannot be displayed because an optional resource assembly containing it cannot be found

at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Bind()
at System.Net.Sockets.UdpClient..ctor()
at System.Net.Sockets.UdpClient..ctor()
at PocketLFS1.Form1.myudpListenerThread()

Quote from buedi :I doubt it. WM6 generally shouldn´t be the Problem, but the T-Mobile Dash has a Square Display. And the Application is designed for Non-Square Displays. You can try if it runs, but it may look strange because of the Screen Resolution

shall give it a try. did you include the source code?
Quote from Jakg :Axim x51v, WM5 - i run the latest version and i press start, i get a crash box saying:

This drive me crazy. I tested on 5 Devices now and it worked. But whoever from the Forum here runs it does not get it running. At least we have a Error Message now
I searched in the MSDN and maybe I found something which could help debugging this (since I don´t get an Error on my Test Devices I currently can only speculate what it is). I will test it tomorrow and see if I get something.

Maybe it´s working for me because I do something "right" everytime. If I remember correctly these are the steps I do to start the whole thing:
  1. Start LFS and stay in Main Menu (sometimes I start Hotlapping, it doesn´t matter)
  2. Startup the PocketPC and Connect to WLAN
  3. When WLAN is connected, start PocketLFS
  4. Check the Network Settings in PocketLFS
  5. Press Start in PocketLFS
  6. Get a smile because it works
There IS a issue right now when you use PocketLFS, press stop and start again it can get slower because I have a Problem in the Code. But when you 1st start it it should run fine... but it isn´t in your case
I WANT to figure that out

@Anik360: No, it contains only the .exe and a nice Readme.txt :-)
#31 - Jakg
Did that, hit start and get a "InSim - UDP : already received ISI" twice and then a "OutGauge : enabled", then i get the same error message on the PDA as it crashes
New release has the same problem as I reported before: connection established, but there is no info on PDA screen. Ping between PC and PDA is stable and not so large (~40). Firewall disabled.

What about I think I will implement a Function which shows this Version Information so we know if PocketLFS get´s Packets from the LFS Box. ? It will really help me.

P.S. New release very unstable: recconnection attempt (Start -> Stop -> Start) causes crash, but process is not unloaded from the memory, and LFS got multiple UDP connections from it.
Quote from Jakg :Did that, hit start and get a "InSim - UDP : already received ISI" twice and then a "OutGauge : enabled", then i get the same error message on the PDA as it crashes

Today I got the InSim - UDP... Message too. But I didn´t know why because I used the App a few times before. When I did a Reset on the PDA and restarted LFS it worked again. Strange... at least I got it one time. Now I only have to find out how to reproduce it every time to find out what it causes. But my PDA never crashed... this is really strange at it drives me crazy. I am so sorry that you have so much Problems :-(

Can you tell me how fast your PDA is (MHz?). As I write this Post I have a small Idea what it could be. When you press start I fire up a few Threads. Each of them has it´s own Tasks to do. Maybe they do not start in the Order they should. You send the ISI Packet, LFS sends the Version Packet back but my App is not ready... although it should start the needed Threads before sending the ISI... but maybe that´s the Problem. I will look into this.

Quote from kosyag :New release has the same problem as I reported before: connection established, but there is no info on PDA screen. Ping between PC and PDA is stable and not so large (~40). Firewall disabled.

That your Ping is working is nice, it shows that there goes Data in both ways at least. Maybe your problem is similar to the Problem Jakg has. If it is I can solve 2 Problems at once... IF I solve this

Quote from kosyag :
What about I think I will implement a Function which shows this Version Information so we know if PocketLFS get´s Packets from the LFS Box. ? It will really help me.

This should really be the next thing I have to do... after I fix the next Bug you mentioned...

Quote from kosyag :
P.S. New release very unstable: recconnection attempt (Start -> Stop -> Start) causes crash, but process is not unloaded from the memory, and LFS got multiple UDP connections from it.

This Bug existed before. The last few times I had a few "Minutes" to work on PocketLFS I was really trying to fix that Bug. Until now it still exists, but I have a few Ideas. When there is time I will try it out and I hope I get it fixed soon. This one follows me since the first Build of PocketLFS.
#34 - Jakg
It's set to "Auto", but it's a 624 MHz CPU, xScale, which means that the lowest Windows will clock it down to is 420 MHz, but i can try in "Turbo Mode" if you need.
Hi Jakg,

seems like you have the same CPU as mine. Since I use the Auto Setting too (I think it´s switching to Turbo itself when it´s needed) that shouldn´t be a Problem.
I updated PocketLFS and implemented a very very simple Log Function. If all goes well it should show you in the Log when a Version or some other Packet is received by LFS. This should show us if Packets arrive (or at least if my App recognized that it received Packets). Maybe that helps me a bit to localize the Problem which occures on your PDA.
I will update the 1st Post in a few Minutes.
Hy buedi,

More information for you. I test your application on my PDA. An iPAQ h 6340. Very nice job, i like it. Very simple for instaling.
Your application screen freez with two cars. the XRR and the FXR. I must close then to start again the application for testing an other car. Its impossible to play with those 2 cars. Look at my screenschot to see the error messages

http://www.mezimages.com/up/06/273608-screen.JPG

Thank you for your assistance and still cheer for this software
Thanks for your Feedback YAONNIS
The Freezer / Crash with some of the Turbo Cars was a known bug I fixed today. It shouldn´t crash again when driving the Turbo Cars and building up Maximum Boost now.
I also added a very simple Shift Light (will make it nicer looking and configurable in one of the next Versions).

The Messages you have seen where showed after PocketLFS crashed and you started it again, right? As PocketLFS should not crash (it does now, I know) it shouldn´t be a Problem when the App is stable... sometime... maybe in this Century

I updated my 1st Post and hope it does not crash again
Hi buedi

THANK YOU VERY MUCH , that goes to wonder. And the posting of the red zone GREAT.

I test now

Bye
Awesome, I have been waiting for something like this forever. However I can't get it to work on my PDA

I can get it to connect to lfs saying outguage is enabled and the log file says it's recieving VER and Tiny packets however no telemetry is displayed

Any ideas?
Oh, I have disabled my firewall aswell.
@YAONNIS: Thanks for the Feedback

@Errupt: Some others reported the same problem you have. And it drives me crazy because I tested the App on 5 different PDAs with different OS Version and Language and even on those damn slow Simulators and everytime it worked. Whatever I do, until now I could never reproduce this if I wanted it. I had this Problem 1 or 2 times, but could not reproduce it. After restarting LFS and the App it worked again.

Since I can not reproduce it it is nearly impossible to debug. Luckily there are other Users with PDAs PocketLFS works on. But currently I have no clue what makes it running / not running on some PDAs.
The Fact that you get the VER and Tiny Message in the Log shows that you receive Data. So I assume you have no "false" Settings in the cfg.txt in the LFS Folder. This gives me a clue where the Problem may occure. I will see if I can build in some more Debugging Information which will show me finally what´s going on.
I tried ver 0.0.0.4. Same result - no info on the PDA.
Log:
Quote :
Timer started
Trying to connect to Server
Initiate Outgauge
Got VER Packet
Got Tiny Packet
Got VER Packet
Got Tiny Packet
Got Tiny Packet
Got Tiny Packet
Got Tiny Packet
Got VER Packet
Got Tiny Packet
Got Tiny Packet
Got Tiny Packet
Got VER Packet

etc
Is this Ok? Where is the problem?
@kosyag and errupt: You have PM

@woolfen: Does it work on your PDA? If yes, do you have the Specs (OS Version, Language used) for me? Maybe it helps me finding the Bug which causes the Problems the others have reported. If you want to link to the App you should link to this URL: http://www.buedi.com/category/Live-for-Speed/. Because the URL to the Program itself may change very often (as there are Bugs to be eliminated and new Features to be added) your Link would be dead with the next Version if you link directly to the File.
Hi,

Great application! very impressed. I agree a landscape mode would be great too Just letting you know I have an O2 atom running WM5 and it works great. I also have a HP ipaq H6365 running WM2003 which I am yet to test it on, but I'll let you know

Once again, thanks for the app!
Hi,

Update for you.. works great on HP IPAQ H6365 as well. seems a little slower but still works well.

Thanks!

Ben
Hi b3nz0r,

thank you very much for your response! Nice to hear that it runs at least for a few People. I am surprised that it runs on the HP... it has around 260MHz, is that true? What exactly do you mean with "it runs slower"? Do you have Lag (you see Data on the Screen which is "old", i.e. you switched into 4th Gear and it displays 3rd for 1 or 2 seconds until the Screen updates)? If yes, you could try a higher Update Rate in the Settings for Outgauge Data. This should produce less load on the CPU. But as you have the O2 Atom I think this will be your Primary Device for using PocketLFS

A Landscape Mode is included since I released the 1st Version. At least it should work. If you switch your PDA to Landscape / Portrait PocketLFS should adapt to the new Screen orientation immediately.
Hi Buedi,

Yes, the HP I believe is only around 200Mhz actually.. The update was a little chunky at 20, so I changed it to 30 and it seems to work fine. The problem I have with the IPAQ is that it's the one I want to use, as it's useless for anything else! The touch screen on it is broken, so I can only control it from my PC with pocket controller, but it's no good otherwise.

One thing I have noticed is that if I start the program, load LFS and get it all working, then unplug it from usb, PocketLFS continues to work for about 10 seconds or so, and then crashes. If I leave it plugged into USB it works fine. (but then there's a huge cable coming out the bottom and I can't prop it up against my monitor..

Thanks,
Ben
Oh, and regarding the landscape mode, my HP has no landscape mode. It can't be changed.. Yet another reason to use the O2... But the HP has such a nice big screen too..
Just to keep you up to date. Since we had some rainy Days here the last few Weeks I had some spare time which I dedicated to PocketLFS. Currently I am able to log all your Laptimes into a Database on the PocketPC. This is the base for a few new Features I have in my mind. But it will take some time... because the Sun is shinging again

Edit:
@b3nz0r: I thought all WM 2003 Devices support switching to Landcape mode with the Display Applet in the Settings of Windows Mobile. It seems I am wrong. If I have some spare Time I will see if I can figure out how to "trigger" it via PocketLFS. If there is a System Function which can be used maybe we have luck. But I can´t promise, sorry.

Edit again :rolleyes:
@b3nz0r: I fear you have WM 2003 and not 2003 SE, right?
#50 - Jakg
Quote from buedi : @b3nz0r: I thought all WM 2003 Devices support switching to Landcape mode with the Display Applet in the Settings of Windows Mobile. It seems I am wrong. If I have some spare Time I will see if I can figure out how to "trigger" it via PocketLFS. If there is a System Function which can be used maybe we have luck. But I can´t promise, sorry.

Only Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition does this, and for most it's a paid upgrade.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG