The online racing simulator
Getting speed around tracks and gear shifting
Hi i been have been using the fxo GTR car on aston nation and i can see people hiting the high 1.41 and i can only just get 1.50.

And i noticed were people some how break really fast at corners and downshift really smooth and fast. When i do it i some times dont get time to get down to the right gear. I always do a drop like from 6th straight to 4th for T1 and i see people get round really easy and come out of t1 hiting like 120 or 130mph and i do like 110 and before T2 i have to get to gear 2 but i do a drop from 6th straight to 2nd gear and i see people go down all gears really fast .

Ok raceing lines i try to keep to hit the curbs 4 the turns aand i see people getting 160mph througth the small slight bend and i only get about 150mph while i am hiting the side curbs before t4 and at the finsh straight throught to T1 they get over 170 mph and i only just get 160mph

Could some of u try and give me tips on how i can get better and what i am doing wrong ill leave a replay soo u can see and watch how i gearshift

Thanx i am a pain ^^it's just so frustating i want to race not drive like my nan

Austin
Attached files
DarkSanity_AS3_FXR_FINISHED_2.spr - 134.3 KB - 193 views
What do you use? Some people use an H-Gate shifter(Thank you Logitech) that you can get with a G25. I suppose your not using a H-Gate. If you do then...

...I suppose your like me.
#3 - Jakg
Its just lag - they are downshifting very quick, using the H-Gate will make you slower as gearshifts take twice as long (literally! LFS goes 4th>Neutral>5th, rather than 4th>5th like with Sequential)
not being funny austin but you have similar thread already, asking the same questions.
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=28831
no need to start another.
But to awnser your questions , again

A> practise , practise, practise
B> dont hold the clutch in so long and learn to blip mid shift.
C> practise braking and holding speed before entry of the corners you are struggling with.
D> did i mention practise ?
i have a G25 and shifter and a wheel shifter i use wheel for the bf1 cars and normal car shifter with normal cars

So your saying they are using like they are using a bf1 in a normal car soo a gear shift wht u cant get in a fxo

So how do i hold speed becuz i do wht others do and nothing happeds and wht is blip mid shift.

I hate practis =) even when i do i get no were
Quote from Austin31287 :I hate practis =) even when i do i get no were

Then you never will get anywhere. Its all about practice mate!
Quote from Austin31287 :i do wht others do

You obviously don't. Try using LFS Replay Analyzer and compare your lines/inputs to faster drivers and it will tell you what exactly you are doing different.
Quote :I hate practis =)

Sorry, you lose.
Quote from Austin31287 :So your saying they are using like they are using a bf1 in a normal car soo a gear shift wht u cant get in a fxo

I think you're (a) asking if the really fast drivers are using a sequential mode transmission with the paddle shifters (or, in the words of Jeremy Clarkson, a "flappy-paddle gearbox"), and then (b) deriding that because such things aren't available in a normal car.

To which I'd say, first, yes, a great many people--even those with a shifter--are using paddle shifters, or the shifter in sequential mode. I use the latter myself, because in H-gate mode, the G25's shifter is rubbish, and proper heel-toeing feels awkward with the pedals all on the same plane. I won't deny that it's also advantageous to do so, but that isn't my primary reason.

As someone above pointed out, you are at a slight disadvantage when using the H-gate, and the way to overcome that is by lots and lots of practice (sorry about the "c", I'm a dirty American, and thus use a bastardized version of the language). To bang down the gears properly and match revs on every shift you need to be lightning fast and very precise with your footwork. That only comes through repetition.

Also, and I haven't watched your replay as I don't have LFS at work, but are you saying that you're downshifting directly from, say, 6th to 2nd, by braking and holding the clutch in, then engaging 2nd when the speed has dropped low enough? You'll never get close to optimal engine braking that way. At first, try skipping the odd-numbered gears (i.e. heel-toe from 6th to 4th, then from 4th to 2nd). As your footwork improves, and your shifts become faster, you'll be able to briefly engage each gear as you come down through them under braking, which is what you should be doing.

As for "soo a gear shift wht u cant get in a fxo," based on the lap times you quoted, I'd say you're probably talking about the FXR, and the other GTR cars. While these cars of course don't exist in real life, modern racing GT cars (for example, those that run at Le Mans) do have sequential shifting transmissions, which at the highest level are advanced paddle operated systems with automated clutches and shift without lift computer control of the ECU. So using the paddles and autoclutch in the GTRs isn't quite the abomination that some people make it out to be. It may be in the true "street" cars, but people are still limited by the hardware they have available.
lol soo there using teh easy option soo they can skip the hard option

were can i download hotlaps from
Hmm, with all this mentioning that the H-shifter is slightly slower I think I'm gonna test it in the XFG tonight. I've always used the H-shifter in the roadcars but hell, if using sequential shifter makes me even a couple of tenths faster I'll use that!
I'm faster with the H-shifter than sequential. Sequential 'feels' odd and H-shifting feels so natural, that it makes me faster. I don't know which gear im on with the sequential, but with H-shifter I don't have that problem. Matter of practice I think..
I thought at the moment, LFS treats all gearboxes like a H-Shifter? i.e. that's how they're simulated (gear->neutral->gear)?

Either way, I think i'm faster at shifting with the H-shifter, as it's using the manual clutch (which I can kick faster than the auto-clutch, at least in the road cars). However, braking/downshifting is usually slower, cause you're lacking a 3rd foot.
Quote from Quietus :I thought at the moment, LFS treats all gearboxes like a H-Shifter? i.e. that's how they're simulated (gear->neutral->gear)?

That's right.
I just did a few test sessions with the XFG on SO Sprint 1. First session with sequential gearbox, second session with H-shifter and then another session with sequential gearbox. I ran the fastest lap with the H-shifter; about .2 seconds faster than the fastest lap with the sequential gearbox. Overall, though, there seemed to be hardly any difference. So I guess it just depends on how well you can use the H-shifter and what you're used to using
Quote from obsolum :I just did a few test sessions with the XFG on SO Sprint 1. First session with sequential gearbox, second session with H-shifter and then another session with sequential gearbox. I ran the fastest lap with the H-shifter; about .2 seconds faster than the fastest lap with the sequential gearbox. Overall, though, there seemed to be hardly any difference. So I guess it just depends on how well you can use the H-shifter and what you're used to using

How many laps did you do with each?
ok the answer to your question has already been said its practice

a while ago i start racing on redline 2 server i started off lapping about 1:16, i got down to being able to lap constantly at 1:02! i see people on that server lap one minute dead, and they do it because they practice. they are comfortable with the car and set up, they know where the limit is and push a little bit beyond it.

YOU HAVE TO PRACTICE you cant just expect to start racing a car and be the best from the off go
Quote from ans7812 :How many laps did you do with each?

About 8 laps everytime. Seeing as it's a pretty short track and the tyres were well warmed up after 4 or 5 laps I think that was enough. I did the second sequential session to make sure that I wasn't just faster with the H-shifter because I'd become more comfortable after doing a number of laps.
I can get round track gd just with out hiting gd race lines making me slow

some guy told me to get a program but i dont remember how i can get or how 2 use
I really think you need to change the way you type your messages... You sound like some 7 year old and you are lacking any form of discipline.

The main point why you are not getting anywhere is that u don't trust upon yourself doing so. You constantly blame others for being faster and struggling with the fact that it all seems impossible.

Really not the way to go bro, if you're acting this same way in real life you need to change the way you think drastically or you won't get anywhere. Complaining won't get you further. Think about yourself doing crazy hotlaps and winning races and eventually you will get there. The biggest problem of most people is that they can't place themselves at the top in their imagination. Instead they complain and yell about others being alien all the time. Instead we are not alien, but we know how the basics of attraction work.

I can't help you getting better, you have to!, i can only give some pointers... but since a lot of people already did that, i try to approach it in a diffirent way. So i hope my speech will get you any further at last. It may seem like it's impossible that the way you think has such great impact on what you get and where you get, but it's 100% true. Still, i'm not here to convince anyone... It's your life, do with it whatever you want.

Quote from obsolum :I just did a few test sessions with the XFG on SO Sprint 1. First session with sequential gearbox, second session with H-shifter and then another session with sequential gearbox. I ran the fastest lap with the H-shifter; about .2 seconds faster than the fastest lap with the sequential gearbox. Overall, though, there seemed to be hardly any difference.

Given enuogh experience, in the XFG around a simple course like that, manual clutch and shifter would be faster. Auto-clutch and sequential gets faster as the circuit gets more complicated (more shifts to screw up, or more shifting to be doing instead of concentrating on your lines).

Try the same test in the XFR and you'll find manual clutch has practically no benefit at all, and the H-shifter will make you slower. Try it in the MRT and you'll see that auto-clutch and sequential is quite considerably quicker.

It's all down to how quickly the car shifts with auto-clutch, how quickly it brakes, and how close the gears are.
i talk like 7 maby i am 7 =S just that i am 19 but i hav e mental age of 7 =(
Quote from pine-fin :I'm faster with the H-shifter than sequential. Sequential 'feels' odd and H-shifting feels so natural, that it makes me faster. I don't know which gear im on with the sequential, but with H-shifter I don't have that problem. Matter of practice I think..

I drive sequential in a real car, so I wanna try and do the H gate. Its more fun too.
Quote from BruTaLysT :I really think you need to change the way you type your messages... You sound like some 7 year old and you are lacking any form of discipline.

The main point why you are not getting anywhere is that u don't trust upon yourself doing so. You constantly blame others for being faster and struggling with the fact that it all seems impossible.

Really not the way to go bro, if you're acting this same way in real life you need to change the way you think drastically or you won't get anywhere. Complaining won't get you further. Think about yourself doing crazy hotlaps and winning races and eventually you will get there. The biggest problem of most people is that they can't place themselves at the top in their imagination. Instead they complain and yell about others being alien all the time. Instead we are not alien, but we know how the basics of attraction work.

I can't help you getting better, you have to!, i can only give some pointers... but since a lot of people already did that, i try to approach it in a diffirent way. So i hope my speech will get you any further at last. It may seem like it's impossible that the way you think has such great impact on what you get and where you get, but it's 100% true. Still, i'm not here to convince anyone... It's your life, do with it whatever you want.

Bully!

Austin - This is the best advice you will ever receive.
Someday when you're old and gray you will think back fondly about the day BruTaLysT changed your life...or you will disregard it and be just another hump of flesh.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG