The online racing simulator
Problem with graphics freezing
(141 posts, started )
Just fyi a team-mate of mine was getting the same problem on his 754 Sempron, since he re-installed with Vista its running fine.
Hi All,

Bad news , I got freezes three times today with the driver which worked perfectly last week. The only thing I did meanwhile was to install firefox and video downloader. Is there a link between firefox and LFS ? I don't think so but we must check oother users. My PC was switched On since early in the morning today but I don't think that the high components temperature was the main problem as the cooling system is correctly working.

1-Please advise which navigator do you use (internet explorer, firefox, opera and which version)

Awaiting your reply all, thanks.
Sorry to hear those peasky freezes are back.

I use Firefox but I still had freezes on my fresh Windows XP installation, which didn't have Firefox installed.

I will try and do some testing tonight.
I use FF too...
Quote from mamynast :The only thing I did meanwhile was to install firefox and video downloader. Is there a link between firefox and LFS ?

I reasonably think there's no link whatsoever to having installed firefox and having freezes.

Firefox has no resident driver or library loaded in memory, so if you quit or don't run firefox while you use LFS and you still have freezes I cannot think about Firefox having any kind of role in this.

Edit: anyway you should check you don't have any stuck firefox.exe process with task manager or process explorer.
Some good news

Have now done about 5 hours testing with the 61.77 drivers posted by kx_mole (post #115) and no freezes! I have had a few more graphical glitches as I mentioned before, but they only last a few frames if that and I can happily live with them.

I suspect that there is a problem somewhere in my system, which is still present, but these drivers seem much better at coping with the problem.

Thanks very much for everyone who has helped me and others on this thread. I think it was more persistence than cunning diagnosis that solved the problem in the end but I have learnt a lot about how to diagnose problems in the process. It’s funny because I found a good deal on a new PC this week and I decided if I got 1 more freeze, I was going to replace the lot, but I’m glad I don’t have to now.

Special thanks to moley for the magic drivers!

PS: I now have a new problem though: my internet connection drops once or twice a day and the only way to get it back up is to reboot the router. Oh well, something else to fix...
Glad to hear this mate . My system is working nicely too with the old drivers. ( to the other problem: try spybot to check if there are some spyware on your pc, those can cause internet drops too )

@mamynast: try some older drivers to your mx400, for example the driver I use should work with your gfx card too... or is there any news in your case?

Quote from Nick A :

PS: I now have a new problem though: my internet connection drops once or twice a day and the only way to get it back up is to reboot the router. Oh well, something else to fix...

Same problem with my Netgear router
In my case I'll replace the router since it refuses to answer to ping after the issue. Only way to go on is to put the ethernet plug into another port, and it goes away, at least for some time. I tried it with more computers and I've come to the conclusion I have a faulty router.
Anyway, things to check are:
1) When it happens, are you able to ping the router? Are you able to ping an external host (try to resolve a host that answer to ping like www.google.com with nslookup before the problem to see if you have DNS problems too: if you ping the numeric address after the problem has occurred but you don't ping the alphabetic address, it's a DNS problem).
2) Switching to an unused port - if available - helps?
3) Are you using DHCP or not? If yes, using a fixed IP address helps? Does an ipconfig /all show a disconnected cable or the lack of an IP address assigned to the computer?
4) Are you able to log in into the router and check if the PPP connection (assuming you use this protocol) is up or down?
5) Does the carrier (for ADSL) go down when you can't connect to the internet?

These are just a few hints.
Thanks Albieg, you always give me a load of things to try!

First thing's first though, I found they released a new firmware last month, so I'll get that on there tonight. Then I can start on your list...
No problem with giving people loads of stuff to do

Easy jokes aside, all of the questions I asked are generated by some possible culprits, precisely:

- Network Interface Card stopping to work (improbable since you reboot your router and you're okay)
- Router crash or router port not responding (this happens to me once in three days on average)
- various DHCP problems (I've seen truckloads of different ones)
- DNS problems (happens quite often with my faulty Netgear, so I assign external ones)
- PPP connection going down or stuck with no packet transit)
- ADSL carrier going down

So please consider those questions just a way to restrict the problem to have an easier diagnosis

After all the effort you put into identifying the problem with your PC, this one should be interesting too, at least that's what I think about troubleshooting. It makes my brain work, so I like having a lot of troubles in my job . Who knows, maybe in the future you'll be able to use these experiences at your own advantage and reward.
-
(kx_mole) DELETED by kx_mole
Excellent! The firmware upgrade seems to have fixed it. It was dropping the connection every 8 hours or so before, now it has been running for 36 hours+ with no problems
Hi Kx Mole,

I didn't run LFS for more than 2 hours last week and I got no freeze. Freezing seldom happens during replay session but it disturbs me while driving the car but not all the time 2 weeks ago. It seems that it disappeared since a few days. I hope that this situation is going to last. I'm happy hearing that Nick also removed his frame freezing but my PC stucks from time to time during internet connexion starting by loosing my mouse using. Either I had to close windows using the keyboards or everything is stuck and I had to reboot my computer using the reset button. Maybe, this is new trouble.

I don't know if once again there is a link with the graphic card driver I installed. Anyway, LFS works better than before.

Mamynast
I had this problem. It appeared after my hard disk totalled itself, and I put an old one in I had. Problem was the old hdd was too slow, and it couldn't keep up with windows demands. New hard disk with fast access times, solved the whole problem in LFS.

The other thing I tried b4 I worked out what was causing it on mine, was changing the page file size. The reason I did this, was because I was getting the same problem in LFS and in windows. In that case, it was the hdd causing it. Was crap lol

Ven
I've got the same problem and I'm running LFS off a SATA2 drive.

I've got Intel P4 3.2G with 7800 GTX vid card. I just uninstalled and used driver cleaner to update to the latest vid drivers and it's screwing up more than before.

Not happy
I would try a few different driver versions, even if they are not the latest. That's what sorted it for me. I would try that first and if it doesn't work go back to my first post for a list of things to try! Most of those I found elsewhere on this forum and various people have reported that they have solved the problem.
Must be the drivers then, cause I've unplugged every other drive exept my SATA2, and it ain't slow.

Would be nice for the Dev's to tell us these things though

Thanks for your help. I'll get on it

Problem with graphics freezing
(141 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG