The online racing simulator
Cannot connect to master server
(30 posts, closed, started )
Yup, me again, this time I re-downloaded the game and still I cannot connect to the master server when loading up the list of games or even when I try to unlock S2. I have no firewall. Help appreciated.
#2 - avih
Can't connect either. Was working fine yesterday and as many months as I can remember, but not today. All other internet working well. I do see that ppl are connected to the server and racing, but for me today it looks for it, and after few seconds (10 or so) shows a message that can't connect to the master server. Any help?
#3 - br0nd
Its usually the Firewall that blocks it...

Can't think of anything else atm that would help
CAn't connect either...

Have the latest update, but still cant connect. Tried everything. I think I give up and move over to rFactor. A lot of people have problems but the devs don't help...
No problems here, so it's not something completely global. I've heard a rumour there are DNS problems across large parts of the net at the moment.

If you try pinging master.liveforspeed.net, do you get a response and, if so, is it 213.40.20.2?
Thanks, but this problem is there for a long time now. How do I ping?
#7 - avih
I'm quite familiar with computers and networking, and that specific ping works, however, I still can't connect. It's been going on since yesterday and nothing's changed in my firewall or other network settings. I also tried with 2 different computers (both used to work, both not working since yesterday, both connected to the same network). As I said earlier, otherwise, Internet is working fine.

If there's a DNS issue, can someone pls post all the domains and IPs of the servers that are used during connection to the master server? I can put them in my "hosts" file and if it's a DNS issue then it'll connect. If it won't then it's probably not DNS.
#8 - avih
Just an update, starting early this morning, LFS is again connecting to the master server and all is fine. Guess it was a global routing issue afterall.
NO, still does not work.
#10 - troy
Quote from paddler :Thanks, but this problem is there for a long time now. How do I ping?

start (this one )
execute (ausführen in german)
write cmd in the textbox
then a dos window should pop up
write: ping master.liveforspeed.net (see if you get a response)
if you get none try it with ping 213.40.20.2
Thanks!

Yes I do get PING 213.40.20.2 but still can't connect!
#12 - troy
Quote from paddler :Thanks!

Yes I do get PING 213.40.20.2 but still can't connect!

ok seems like you got some problems with the dns of the server

try this:

go to "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\" (or whatever your windows dir is)
there you should have a "hosts" file, open it with notepad and add the line
213.40.20.2 master.liveforspeed.net

under your localhost entry, save it start lfs and try again
Thanks troy, I still had the old i.p for some reason. Everything is A-okay.
Thanks for your input, Troy.
I am going mad here...
I did as said, but still not able to connect...
What the heck
So you tried "ping master.liveforspeed.net" first? And that didn't work?
If so, can you post the exact result of that ping test here?

BTW, if you changed that hosts file as Troy explained, then you still might have had to 'flush the dns cache' for the change to take effect. So if it didn't work then, maybe it will work now? The cache should be flushed by the time you read this (due to assumed overnight shutdown of computer).
Still does not connect...
BTW I am using a devolo Kit to hook up to the internet. Could that be a reason?
Here my statistics as asked.

Ping master.liveforspeed.net [213.40.20.2] mit 32 Bytes Daten:

Antwort von 213.40.20.2: Bytes=32 Zeit=36ms TTL=51
Antwort von 213.40.20.2: Bytes=32 Zeit=37ms TTL=51
Antwort von 213.40.20.2: Bytes=32 Zeit=41ms TTL=51
Antwort von 213.40.20.2: Bytes=32 Zeit=38ms TTL=51

Ping-Statistik für 213.40.20.2:
Pakete: Gesendet = 4, Empfangen = 4, Verloren = 0 (0% Verlust),
Ca. Zeitangaben in Millisek.:
Minimum = 36ms, Maximum = 41ms, Mittelwert = 38ms
#18 - troy
that looks ok. you should be able to connect, got any firewall running?
if yes: you could try to manually delete and add lfs.exe again in your firewall rules

another thing you could try: open lfs, click multiplayer and set "window on connect" to yes
then you should see if your firewall is asking if lfs.exe can connect to the internet
Thanks!

I tried everything but still does not connect. I am going crazy...
Are you 100% sure you have the latest version of LFS? I mailed with someone recently who at first thought he indeed used the latest version, but got confused with multiple LFS folders and was actually trying to go online with an old version of LFS.
Please check it one more time. You can see the version name and number on the main menu screen of LFS and also on the end screen. Also you can check the first line of the file cfg.txt in your LFS folder.
Please post your findings here.

About your Devolo kit, that shouldn't matter. The ping proves that you can connect. But something else you could try is this :
Edit that cfg.txt file in your LFS folder with notepad.
Find the line saying Master Port 29339 and change that number to 8080. Then see what happens.
Just reinstalled LFS. Can't unlock
On the web, the program won't let me set a game password, so I can't unlock!
Quote from Royal WarlocK :On the web, the program won't let me set a game password, so I can't unlock!

It'll help more if you explain what happens when "it won't let you". Just saying something doesn't work means nothing to me. It works for thousands of other people, so it does work.
The only thing i can guess at is that you have a super tight security setting on your browser, that prevents forms from being submitted. You could check that.
Alot of you seem not to be able to connect. If you have a 3rd party firewall, either add lfs, or kill it. Then make sure windows firewall is 'actually' off. (sometimes it lies, there's another option to turn it off completely).

If thats not the problem. Do you have broadband through a Modem Router? If so, you may need to setup port forwarding within the routers setup page (usually http://192.168.1.1) then go to: http://portforwarding.com

And select your router from the list, next select Live for Speed, then follow the instructions -exactly-! That should solve your problems. Alot of can't connects are cause the routers firewall is preventing the connection, port forwarding bypasses this, by allowing you to set 'allowed connections'.

Venus
Great, I've got the same issue on the first night of our new series.
have done ipconfig --flushdns , ensured the hosts file has a master entry (just in case), still I'm timing out with one of the routers on my way to lfsworld so I think I've got a different issue altogether.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

tracert master.liveforspeed.net

Tracing route to master.liveforspeed.net [213.40.20.2]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 11 ms 10 ms 10 ms loop0.lns4.mel4.internode.on.net [150.101.212.39]
3 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms gi0-3.cor1.mel4.internode.on.net [150.101.212.57]
4 202 ms 202 ms 202 ms pos2-3.bdr1.syd7.internode.on.net [150.101.120.122]
5 207 ms 207 ms 207 ms pos4-0.bdr1.lax1.internode.on.net [203.16.213.189]
6 208 ms 207 ms 208 ms ge-7-11.car3.LosAngeles1.Level3.net [4.71.32.61]
7 208 ms 216 ms 214 ms ae-32-52.ebr2.LosAngeles1.Level3.net [4.68.102.62]
8 235 ms 235 ms 234 ms ae-78.ebr3.LosAngeles1.Level3.net [4.69.135.14]
9 287 ms 284 ms 274 ms ae-4.ebr4.Washington1.Level3.net [4.69.132.82]
10 286 ms 286 ms 288 ms ae-3.ebr4.NewYork1.Level3.net [4.69.132.94]
11 286 ms 285 ms 288 ms ae-74-74.csw2.NewYork1.Level3.net [4.69.134.118]
12 318 ms 323 ms 323 ms ae-71-71.ebr1.NewYork1.Level3.net [4.69.134.69]
13 365 ms 362 ms 361 ms ae-4.ebr2.London1.Level3.net [4.69.132.110]
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 *
Hmm that doesn't look like a problem on your end. I'll have to think about this.
Thanks for the traceroute btw.

On that note :

IT IS ADVISABLE FOR EVERYONE WITH CONNECTION PROBLEMS TO DO A TRACEROUTE AS WELL

How to:

-click Windows Start button
-click Run
-enter the command cmd and press enter
-type : tracert master.liveforspeed.net

then copy and paste the outcome of that test in your post here. Or if you are having trouble with copy/pasting, you can make a screenshot of the result.
This thread is closed

(30 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG