The online racing simulator
Which files & folders to back up?
I'm gradually backing up all my stuff to my NAS box in preparation for moving to a dual-boot Linux/WinXP system, and it's LFS' turn.

Can someone tell me which files/directories I need to backup so that if I had to reinstall LFS in the future, it retains all my settings? Player details, controls, in-car view settings, wheel settings, the whole lot. Obviously I'll be backing up my setups folder too, but no point backing up the game files that I can re-download from lfs.net. I know the misc folder contains unlocking and some relevant files, but is there specifically anything else I should back up that personalises LFS?

Yes I did search, but didn't find anything in the first 100 topics mentioning backups and files, and reviewing another several hundred topics looked rather daunting.

Also, can I move my LFS installation between hard drives on this computer without having to unlock it? Not a problem if I have to, just curious, as I'm trying to shuffle some stuff around and balance the capacity of my hard drives.

Thanks in advance.
#2 - Renku
Thank you.
#4 - troy
Quote from Renku :/LFS/card_cfg.txt
/LFS/deb.log
/LFS/interface_cfg.txt
/LFS/cfg.txt
/LFS/data/misc
/LFS/data/settings
/LFS/data/views (if you customize your driving position)
/LFS/data/script (if you have any)

i would recommend to backup a bit more folders:

data\skins (your skins)
data\skins_dds (then you dont need to convert skins at lfs start)
data\dds (in case you've got modified dds files)
data\layout (if you downloaded/made layouts)
data\mpr (your replay folder)
data\spr (single player replays)
data\drv (AI names)
data\knw (AI knowledge)
data\shots (screenshots)
data\eng (if you modified engine sounds)

i hope i got everything now
why dont you simply back up the entire lfs folder ? much less work and you dont seem to have any shortage of backupspace anyway
Quote from troy :i would recommend to backup a bit more folders:

data\skins (your skins)
data\skins_dds (then you dont need to convert skins at lfs start)
data\dds (in case you've got modified dds files)
data\layout (if you downloaded/made layouts)
data\mpr (your replay folder)
data\spr (single player replays)
data\drv (AI names)
data\knw (AI knowledge)
data\shots (screenshots)
data\eng (if you modified engine sounds)

i hope i got everything now

Thanks - I don;t think most of them apply to me (my LFS isn't modded at all, no AI settings or knowledge, and I have no screenshots, no replays, etc worth saving, lol) but handy to have a list of the "personal" stuff in the LFS folder.
Quote from Shotglass :why dont you simply back up the entire lfs folder ? much less work and you dont seem to have any shortage of backupspace anyway

Hmm, the more I think about it, the more I think you might have a point there...

/me looks at his mostly empty 1TB of network storage...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG