The online racing simulator
#27 - -M-
Quote from CodieMorgan :+ Serverside AI Pacecar could be designated, and AI should follow if Pacelaps are coded in on yellow flags/rolling starts (if applicable, or when this is applicable) - But whould also respect Human vehicle positions online ... if you get what I mean! This would also free up an additional racer slot , and having to manually drive pacecars wouldn't be forced. But as an optional item!

+1 Very good idea in my opinion

Quote from VTiRoj :It would be cool if the AI said

:-)
Good Race
Good Pass

when it was appropiate in a race, adds to the realism.

How could a text floating in the sky add to the realism?
Quote from auto emocion :I don't care about AI at all, because i only play online.

Well, then what are you doing in the AI thread?

Quote from Darkone55 :Today I had an idea.. What if... The AI could learn from the player? If it could take over the braking points, lines.. stuff like that. And of course compensate a bit by letting it make small errors, just like a real human. This would make the AI challenging for everyone!

Just a thought..

Good comment but you are forgetting about the noobs . Noob could be training the AI to drive like noobs, ... possibly?,,, im guessing!

Quote from Rikje :How about they learn how to overtake ? I've trained AI's for a BLGP 30 lap race with the Fox. For fun I putted the quickest ones at the back of the grid. And they didn't even try to overtake! They only release the throttle a little to get some distance...

Yes.... to overtake while maintaining constant awareness.... If only AI attempted clean overtakes, but aborted if it sees the (obvious immenent crash before it happens with the) player in a 'bad' or 'unpassable' spot!

If only we could call the AI our friends.

And your avatar is funny... lol.. original!
Quote :ood comment but you are forgetting about the noobs . Noob could be training the AI to drive like noobs, ... possibly?,,, im guessing!

Lol, that would be awesome!
Thinking of a future topic "Who got the most newbish AI competition" lool
I dont think AI needs any work.
Who drives against AI?
I know 4 ppl IRL who own LfS, and non of them practise against AI.
Either they practise alone to get to know a track, or they go online and learn there.

I know they are working on it... but really... who uses AI when you can go online to race real people?
The last game I played SP was Halflife (1)
Or. Why dont the Dev's sort stuff that ACTUALLY matters.
Stuff for ONLINE. Since its an ONLINE game..
I mostly race online, but occasionally I like to race ai when I want a long race.

Some things I'd love to see, n I agree with all above.

1. Get the AI to learn to use higher gear and little throttle to get off the grass when they run on it, instead of nosing into a wall n applying full throttle.

2. I'm sick to death of the AI not knowing of my presence on the track.

3. Give them variable braking points/lines etc.

4. Please, they should know at least the basics of overtaking.
We'd all love for them to learn off the player, but I don't think thats very likely, if possible. However even a total first time driver would understand more than the AI.

5. Pitlane use is a given, as is fuel selection and hopefully setup choice (if it can't create its own, then have it choose one suitable from players list.

6. Some should be trained fully, say first 5, then vary it back to last 10 who are noob ai.

7. Should know how to avoid accidents (not make stupid moves), and how to avoid crashed cars.

8. last of all should obey flags.

Honestly, the AI totally piss me off, I'd rather race without them than with them at the moment, cause they are totally unaware of the player.

Venus
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Or. Why dont the Dev's sort stuff that ACTUALLY matters.

I somehow agree with you there, I don`t, well I almost never races against the AI. I just said that upgrade like these would help increasin the interest for driving with the AI, but when that is said - I do agree that I rather want the DEV`s to work on something cool for online gaming instead
With so few odd combos on PUB servers, racing with AI seems the only way to get to know certain tracks in certain cars (other than cruising alone) so I do agree that AI needs work.

I just don't think it needs as much detail as some wish for.
All you need is an AI that can keep up with you using your set so that you can gain some experience racing against them.
Currently this is not the case.
At the danger of being flamed, I'm gonna use the rF AI as an example.
They are decent for learning how to race clean and fast but can not replace real online people.
Quote from riffey4 :I dont think AI needs any work.
Who drives against AI?
Either they practise alone to get to know a track, or they go online and learn there.

I know they are working on it... but really... who uses AI when you can go online to race real people?

And yest you forget about the people with bad connections, there are also servers that will use AI as gridfillers just to broaden the race grid (eg,, 4pple can make recing empty, )

And i think you are being a bit ignorant! ^^ read above the entire thread to see the poor ppl that suffer because of bad ai...
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Or. Why dont the Dev's sort stuff that ACTUALLY matters.

And you think AI are not part of online games? heh? THey are more valuble than yu think,

you are flaming without even explaining your point of view, and why yyou think that way !
Quote from CodieMorgan :And you think AI are not part of online games? heh? THey are more valuble than yu think,

you are flaming without even explaining your point of view, and why yyou think that way !

Well what he writes tells you and gives you an explenation of why he thinks that, and aswell as I said it.
You know that LFS is meant to be played online, it`s called a online simluator, therfor the AI haven`t been upgraded for a while, and therfor many people thinks it`s useless to upgrade the AI since the game itself highly tells you that it`s meant to be played online against other people.
Quote from riffey4 :I dont think AI needs any work.
Who drives against AI?

You can add AIs playing online, too.
You can do that, but they will end up by ruining the race, they will crash all the people aswell as they would be slow backmarkers that totally disobey the blue flag. So if you want good and clean racing on a server, you must NEVER EVER have the AI in a race, they will screw it all up!
Quote from The Very End :You can do that, but they will end up by ruining the race, they will crash all the people aswell as they would be slow backmarkers that totally disobey the blue flag. So if you want good and clean racing on a server, you must NEVER EVER have the AI in a race, they will screw it all up!

The point of this thread is to fix that!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG