The online racing simulator
Police Skins [Skinpack]
(14 posts, started )
Police Skins [Skinpack]
I've been away for a while, and since I came back to LFS I've shied away from the GTR cars I used to love and stuck to a wider variety of stuff instead. In fact it's surprised me how much the LFS community had moved on in the 8-9 months I was away in terms of provision and organisation of a variety of servers.

Most notable among these is the CTRA (former STCC) servers, but when I'm too drunk/tired/bored to race competitively I've found myself messing around on the CityDriving servers. Yeah, I know. Not what LFS is about, etc etc, yada yada yada. But so what, sometimes it's good fun to mess around with the LFS physics in a non-race environment. But I noticed the police skins were of, erm, varying quality so I decided to make some of my own for public use.

First up are some UK police skins. These are actually designed according to the Home Office's Science, Research & Statistics Dept's guidelines and recommendations for UK police cars. Accurate and prototypical, yes. Sad, yes, I know.

First is the FXO - a general patrol/community car:

For traffic/pursuit duties, the FZ50 is available in both white:

...and since the battenburg livery is designed for all colours, it works equally as well in black:

Currently in progress by myself are police skins for Jamaica and Japan, to cover the three nationalities of the environments available in LFS. All three nations police skins will be released as a pack a.s.a.p.
Jamaican Police Skins
As promised, here's the preview of the Jamaican police skins which I've knocked up over the past couple of days.

There's no Home Office documents or definite guidelines for liveries of the Jamaican Constabulary Force's vehicles, in fact their own website is unreliable and seemingly frequently offline. As such, their notorious lack of budget is reflected in the vehicles at their disposal. There is also more room for interpretation of what Jamaica police would look like using LFS vehicles, given the lack of precedence or official documents dictating what their police vehicles should look like. Therefore these designs are very loosely based on the limited images available of Jamaican police cars.

This UF1000 is an old, faded original JCF patrol vehicle from an era when road offences were not a priority, and would now be relegated to local or community patrols, or for use by commanding officers as a radio command/observation unit.

The JCF would also be likely to have something with the ability to keep up with regular traffic around the winding Jamaican streets, such as the XR GT.

More recently, the JCF would have acquired vehicles for pursuit purposes in an effort to combat Jamaica's increasing organised gang and violent crime. The XR GT Turbo fulfils this role, with a new high-visibility livery. However the JCF's limited budget means that their idea of high visibility only extends to a few stick-on yellow strips, relying on the new paintwork to do the rest.

As part of the final set of skins for the three main environments in LFS, here's the Japanese police skin pack.

Surprisingly, when I did some research into Japanese police cars, I found that their liveries were remarkably dull. Black and white, red lights, and very little else. Even though they have some really nice cars (Skylines, GTOs, Imprezas, and, err, Toyota Crowns), they're all dressed in the same placid two-tone paint scheme. They feature a few accessories, most notably the lights, but since I can't add comically huge telescopic lightbars to the cars in LFS, I've just tried to keep the paintwork as realistic as possible.

First up is the XFG, just a little run-about for the japanese cops.

Of course, the Japanese police (being Japanese) have to have the 4WD RB4. It's not an Impreza, but it's the closest we've got.

Since the Japanese police in LFS would be working at Kyoto, I had little choice but to give them the fastest (straight-line) road going car in the game - the FZ5 - in order to give them a chance around the high speed roads they'd be working on. As it's the pursuit police, I've taken the liberty of adding some limited high-visibility marks to compensate for the lack of lights and stuff. Most forces seem to be heading towards adding hi-vis stickers anyway.

The final skinpack will be released soon, just need to sort out a few bits and pieces on the skins etc. The skins will be for public use and free to edit the unit numbers if you want your own individual unit. Hope they're of some fun for city driving / cops and robbers guys etc etc, thanks to the versatility and immersion of the LFS universe and physics.
great! keep them coming. are you going to create some ambulance and tow truck skins too? and how about a light blue police skin?
brilliant skins m8!!! love em all
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Quote from Zachary Zoomy :are you going to create some ambulance and tow truck skins too?

Yep, just as soon as Eric creates some ambulance and tow truck models to put them on.

There's no vans, pickups, or winches in LFS that would make those skins appropriate. A paramedic car would be a possibility, but there's no estate cars in LFS (every paramedic car I've seen is always an estate, even if it's just a small one - and I've never seen a paramedic in a sports coupe), and is there really any need for one? There's no death or injuries to contend with (thankfully), and paramedics don't chase or arrest people like cops do on the C'n'R servers.

Quote from Zachary Zoomy :and how about a light blue police skin?

Of which particular force / nationality? Something Canadian, I presume? Again there's a couple of problems with that:

- There's not a single car in LFS which even remotely resembles the shape, sheer size, and waterbed handling characteristics of a standard Crown Vic, so any US/Canadian skins wouldn't have such a realistic effect. There aren't any muscle cars in LFS either, since they seem to get used as pursuit cars in real life in US/Canada.
- There is no one "style" of livery for North American police cars. They come in such a huge range of colours, designs and visibility levels that I'm not sure if there is anything that could encompass them all and be a generic cop cruiser. I've seen US cop cars that are all blue, all red, bright green, black, and so on. I suppose the CHP/LAPD black and white is iconic, as is the NYPD blue from the '90s. But nonetheless, there's no appropriate vehicle to put them on, sorry.

I'll never say never, though.
Quote :A paramedic car would be a possibility, but there's no estate cars in LFS (every paramedic car I've seen is always an estate, even if it's just a small one - and I've never seen a paramedic in a sports coupe), and is there really any need for one?

The FXO doesn''t look silly and for circuit use anything can be used as a medical car, the BTCC uses a Porsche Cheyenne (a car out of its comfort zone, doing the school run in London).
I was thinking of a NYPD blue on an FXO. perhaps the XFG or UF1 would make a good ambulance. I've seen ambulance skins on Rb4s too.

EDIT: any plans for LX4 and 6 police skins?
Skinpack released
The final police skinpack for the UK, Jamaica and Japan is available here.

They're all uploaded to LFSW, so others will see them if you use them.

If you wish to change or amend them, please keep the overall design intact, but please have the courtesy to leave the credit notice intact on the skinfile. Thanks.

P.S. If a mod sees this please could they move the topic to the completed skins subforum. Thanks.
Every nice skins i love them to bits.
cool. thanks for the skins. I'd really like it if you would do a police special for the LX4, LX6 and maybe RAC.
EDIT: I see there already is an LX6 skin there.
nice i would like one
hi strobe nice skins man they look cool
can u send me the xr gt skin the jamican police one thanks or anyone police ones for the xr gt
thanks
there's a link above.

Police Skins [Skinpack]
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG