The online racing simulator
Start of the week?
(41 posts, started )
Start of the week?
In options you can choose what day is start of the week. Well, my question is. What day is start of the week? Isnt it monday? Or is it sunday...?
Quote :The Bible clearly makes the Sabbath the last day of the week, but does not share how that corresponds to our 7 day week. Yet through extra-biblical sources it is possible to determine that the Sabbath at the time of Christ corresponds to our current 'Saturday.' Therefore it is common Jewish and Christian practice to regard Sunday as the first day of the week (as is also evident from the Portuguese names for the week days). However, the fact that, for example, Russian uses the name "second" for Tuesday, indicates that some nations regard Monday as the first day.

In international standard ISO-8601 the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) has decreed that Monday shall be the first day of the week.

Source: http://webexhibits.org/calendars/week.html

In the modern calendar IMO it should be monday, regardless of what it used to be. :P I'd go with the ISO standard. It's a Intl Standard after all..
Also, does this make a difference at all? If i put in wednsday, what will happen?
Oh...its monday today..and I can feel it
Quote from Blackout :Oh...its monday today..and I can feel it

Tell me about it :tired:
It's monday, today I had school from 8:15 to 9:00 and 12:00 to 15:00 :tired:
I HATE SCHOOL :mad:
Quote from hrtburnout :It's monday, today I had school from 8:15 to 9:00 and 12:00 to 15:00 :tired:
I HATE SCHOOL :mad:

You'll get no sympathy from me, my days were longer and I had no problems with school. If you hate it you're probably not going there with the right attitude. I've done 4 years more education since I finished school and frankly I'd rather be here than out there in the real world.
Saturday and Sunday are the weekend, so Monday is the start of the new week - simple.
Yeah, I don't understand that fuss about start of the week either. Personally, I couldn't care less than what a thousand year old book tries to tell me - I go with what the society I live in defines. And that is, that I start working on monday, so monday is the start of the week for me.
My week starts when I say it starts and not before. The ISO people and christianity can stick their "official" weeks up their respective arses. I never get anything meaningful done before Tuesday, so I pick Tuesday.
Quote from Bob Smith :You'll get no sympathy from me, my days were longer and I had no problems with school. If you hate it you're probably not going there with the right attitude. I've done 4 years more education since I finished school and frankly I'd rather be here than out there in the real world.

It's not that it's a long day, but that i have to wake up at 7:00 for not even 1 hour of lessons
#12 - avih
In Israel, the week starts on Sunday (and the week days names are related to the numbers where sunday is "1st" in hebrew). So here we work sunday-thursday and friday/saturday are the weekend. That's working according to the Hebrew calendar. Saturday is the "holy" day here, quite similar to sunday in most of the western world

and btw, the word "sabbath" for saturday is pronounced "Shabat" in hebrew and means (rough translation) "rest" or "no work"
Avih,

In "Ye Oldie" times, didnt a Jewish day start at sundown on one day, and end at sundown the next day ??

Meaning, the start of the week would be late Saturday afternoon !?!
I dont care which day is the start, just what the difference it makes if i change it to other days!!
The difference lies within the forum. It will rearrange how the calendar looks here (well it should, this is what I remember it would do when I changed it)
Monday is the start of the week, its when the work starts. Couldnt really give a monkeys about what religion says, Monday is the logical answer.
I always learn Sunday is the first day of the week. Though you start working on Monday, wich I find the more logical first day of the week..
Disagree with the ISO standard and you shall incure the wrath of the standards gods!
I work in the automotive industry, so we don't follow the ISO standards. I follow the automotive standard which is QS9000 and TS16949. So, what happens to me? Which day do I start? I think it just means I get to finish and take a break for 2 weeks in July and for 2 weeks over Christmas .
Quote from (SaM) :I always learn Sunday is the first day of the week. Though you start working on Monday, wich I find the more logical first day of the week..

Same here, always learned that Sunday is the first day of the week
I vote for sunday too
I've always been told that Sunday is the first day of the week, but I think Monday is more logical.
Hmm... my eeling tells me that Monday is the first day of a week. But in German, wednesday is "Mittwoch" which is the "middle of the week". But if Monday would be the first day, Thursday would be in the middle...

But honestly, i don't care. Guess everyone could start the week whenever he want's.
Quote from ColeusRattus :Hmm... my eeling tells me that Monday is the first day of a week. But in German, wednesday is "Mittwoch" which is the "middle of the week". But if Monday would be the first day, Thursday would be in the middle...

But honestly, i don't care. Guess everyone could start the week whenever he want's.

Personally I like to start the week at 3:00 PM (or 15:00) on Friday, WHOA, TIME TO GO HOME FOR THE WEEKEND!! Then I like to finish the week off on Monday morning at 7 am and totally skip the time in between the finish and the start.
Quote from mrodgers :Personally I like to start the week at 3:00 PM (or 15:00) on Friday, WHOA, TIME TO GO HOME FOR THE WEEKEND!! Then I like to finish the week off on Monday morning at 7 am and totally skip the time in between the finish and the start.

Ladies and gentlemen, Mr Homer Simpson.

Start of the week?
(41 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG