The online racing simulator
Help me build a PC!
(33 posts, started )
#27 - Jakg
Quote from Shotglass :afaik conroes are generally rather cache dependant (due to relatively slow ram lines) so the more cache you can get the better

Thats what i thought, but after reading this article i'm really not so sure - if i overclock the crap outta an E2160 i'd get 3.2 GHz, maybe a little more, or 3.6, maybe even 3.8 GHz outta an E6600, but the E6600 is double the price (although i saw an E6600 which did 3.8 GHz on air for sale for £80 and i hesitated and it got sold )

I've now come to the conclusion that your best bet from the S775 line is either an E2160 or a Q6600 G0, or if your not into overclocking, the E6300 (nice and cheap on eBay) and the E6750
An E2140 overclocked to anything above 2.4Ghz would easily do me, but I'm still a little cautious about overclocking. Even though I've overclocked my Pentium 4 by a massive 100hz.

What would I be able to get an E2140 up to, on stock cooling? I could always get a better cooler, like this one:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ ... duct.php?prodid=HS-017-AR
#29 - Jakg
On The Freezer? 3 GHz plus with a decent mobo.

2.4 GHz on stock cooling should be fine, i've seen 3.2 GHz on stock coolers.
Quote from Jakg :Thats what i thought, but after reading this article i'm really not so sure

which shows pretty much exactly what im on about
its reasonable to assume that the size of the 3dmark code grew over time to the point where it wont fit into a 4mb cache anymore (considering there will be a bunch of os stuff in there too)

its certainly not a conincidence that the most noteable change on the penryn is a bigger cache
#32 - Jakg
This is what i'd call "decent", but in actual fact this is probably one of the best overclocking boards on the market (and it better be for £100!).

If we take a step away from the bleeding edge and look towards the 965P Chipset-ed boards we find some nice buys, ie the Gigabyte S3, which is just the Gigabyte DS3 (Great overclocking budget board) without the solid capacitors (which saves you £7), unfortunately with the new P35 chipset out, the 965's aren't selling as well so the prices are going up...

This image might be of use, even if it is a little outdated (no P35 boards), replace "Enthusiast" with 1337z0r overclockz0r and you get the idea.

That eVGA 650i board might be one of your best bets

</hardware geek mode>
Quote from Jakg :This is what i'd call "decent", but in actual fact this is probably one of the best overclocking boards on the market (and it better be for £100!).

If we take a step away from the bleeding edge and look towards the 965P Chipset-ed boards we find some nice buys, ie the Gigabyte S3, which is just the Gigabyte DS3 (Great overclocking budget board) without the solid capacitors (which saves you £7), unfortunately with the new P35 chipset out, the 965's aren't selling as well so the prices are going up...

This image might be of use, even if it is a little outdated (no P35 boards), replace "Enthusiast" with 1337z0r overclockz0r and you get the idea.

That eVGA 650i board might be one of your best bets

</hardware geek mode>

So a list like this would do well?
Attached images
dd.jpg

Help me build a PC!
(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG