The online racing simulator
FPS issues with AI and Single Player
Not played for a while but I used to be able to play SP with a full grid with no problems.
Now, even with a 12 car grid the game is unplayable.
I've read other posts regarding this and the advice has been to upgrade the processor.
Well I've just put an AMD X2 6000 in my rig so I dont think this would be the case here.
Besides my Single Core 3800 used to be fine.

If I take to the track myself I get 80-90 fps but with the 12 man AI grid it drops below 10.
Online races don't seem to be effected anywhere near as much as AI races.

Rig Spec
AMD X2 6000
2 GB RAM
256 mb ATI 1800XT
X-Fi xtreme Ganer Sound card
Vista Home Premium

I've just done a test to see the useage of my RAM and cpu cores.
Had a 19 car AI grid.
At start both cores were around 50% usage, RAM was at 53%.
FPS was below 2

I know 20 man is extreme but I thought if anything was going to overload my system it would be a full grid.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be?

Thanks for any help
#2 - garph
Quote from Driver 8 :Online races don't seem to be effected anywhere near as much as AI races.

AI are basically your CPU, that's why they have more of an affect on your system.

Online racers are other people and so not using your CPU to race, they use their own brains...some times.
#3 - Jakg
Quote from Driver 8 :I've just done a test to see the useage of my RAM and cpu cores.
Had a 19 car AI grid.
At start both cores were around 50% usage, RAM was at 53%.
FPS was below 2

Are you sure your CPU is running at the right speed? That is WAY to slow for that setup.

I have a similar speed CPU and i get 35 fps + with 20 AI , there is NO way you should get 2!
Quote from Jakg :Are you sure your CPU is running at the right speed? That is WAY to slow for that setup.

I have a similar speed CPU and i get 35 fps + with 20 AI , there is NO way you should get 2!

I assume it's at the right speed, no clue how I would check though
#5 - Jakg
You could download CPU-Z, or you could grab a copy of SuperPi and select "1m" - if it takes over 35 seconds then theres something wrong

(SuperPi in 1m will calculate the first Million digits of Pi)
Attached files
Super PI.zip - 621.6 KB - 154 views
Just done the PI test, 1 min 24 secs is pretty bad then
Lets see what this other program does
ok cpu-z is telling me the following

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Core Speed 1000 MHz
Multiplier x 5.0
Bus Speed 200 MHz
HT Link 1000 MHz

I thought the Core speed on this cpu should have been 3000 MHz..
#8 - Jakg
Quote from Driver 8 :Just done the PI test, 1 min 24 secs is pretty bad then
Lets see what this other program does

One MINUTE!!!!1111!!!!

JESUS CHRIST!

A Crappy Celeron does it in 44!

Your CPU should be doing it under 30 seconds, 35 if your on vista or somthing!

Try setting it to "32m" and checking the CPU clock speed again, the clock speed should be 3000 MHz (3 GHz), however expect it to report around 2985-3015 MHz
Took 52 secs to find the first iteration, didn't want to wait for the next 23 :P

Core speed still reads 1000MHz in cpuz
#10 - Jakg
your PC would take about 56 mins to do that when it should take 15!

Go into your BIOS and manually set the "CPU Multiplier" to "15x"
Thanks ever so much for your help.
Just did pi in 32 secs, cpu temp is now 33 degrees instead of 19 as well
Interestingly the multiplier was set to 15 in the bios. I had to change the config from default to user defined however for it to make the actual difference.
Probably results from the change of cpu I did last week.
CPUz now reads 3000 MHz

thanks again
#12 - Jakg
No problem!

Seems that the mobo was unable to work out the correct settings and went to the "safest" ones. The CPU temp will go up because your now actually USING your CPU :P
42 fps from the back of a 20 man grid
i have a p4 ht 3 ghz 800fsbus

1 Million in 28.701 is it good?
#15 - Jakg
28.701...? NO way a 3 GHz P4 could do that - my 3 GHz AMD with 1337 memory got the same time!
Quote from Jakg :28.701...? NO way a 3 GHz P4 could do that - my 3 GHz AMD with 1337 memory got the same time!

the screen that appears when we press ok after testing says that ....my mistake i standt by the pc and now i see it takes 49 sec +-
#17 - Jakg
Thats because i uploaded my copy, which had my results saved in it
whatever the setting i use to set the process afinity to cpu0 or1 or both or whatever setting i use in priority it delivers same results with only less then a second difference

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG