The online racing simulator
Working pit lights + punishments
Due to some people decide to pit out without having a look at the leading race traffic and then causing a lot of trouble, it would be nice to have working pit lights + a punishment system.

I mean: You want to leave pits, see the red light, telling you the track is not clear and you have to wait. If you drive over the red light, you will be sent to spect, ouch!

What do you think about this?

PS: Hope this idea isn't already posted. Sure, I used the search function b4 posting this, but did not get any matching results.
I wouldn't make it that dramatic (i.e. red lights/spectate), but I would like to enforce proper pit lane exit. I don't know how it is on other tracks, but in Blackwood, after you exit the pits and are past the tire barriers, there is still a dividing line and cones. Now, some people just cut this line and cones to get on track quicker. But consider F1 - they have a white dividing line on pit exit, and if you cross it, you get a drive through or stop&go, or something like that. So perhaps, this could be done in LFS too.

Overall though, at least in my experience, it hasn't been a major problem so far.
People leaving the pits recklessly can be a problem anywhere, especially with faster cars like the GTRs and open-wheelers.
I'd definitely like to see penalties for cutting across the pitlane exit :up:
I've been wanting this ever since that reckless guy smashed into me on that demoserver.

I wounder if it could be to any help to see what the others games have done about this, I know that in GTR 2 (I think it is that game) you can't exit the pits if the red light is on. When the green light is on, then you can throttle again and go.
The car autostops at the white exit line, wouldn't that be kind of usefull here to? Then you can't leave the pits and crasch everybody and say "SRY!!" and then do it again 10 mins later.
IMO some sort of pit exit system sounds like a good idea

Edit:
Quote from Dalarna :

The car autostops at the white exit line, wouldn't that be kind of usefull here to?

auto stop isnt that great, removes some of the games freedom, but some sort of penalty would be cool
#6 - Lible
Plus one for Working pit lights

But not some punishment, when cars are passing by a blinking blue light and when the race hasn't started yet, a red light.
Quote from Speedy Pro :I wouldn't make it that dramatic (i.e. red lights/spectate)

I must admit, that probably is a bit harsh punishment for virtual races, but it meets real life pit rules. And as I'm a realistic fetishist, I would like it though. Crossing a red light on exit and you find yourself black flagged, that means: YOUR RACE IS OVER, Buddy. You can ask Massa & Fisichella, they know about!
+1
The lights system is a good idea.

I was on an oval server the other night, but with a strange layout for MRT which created a very narrow path out of the pits but which was also used as part of the general circuit, and as I was passing through it out of the pits on my first run (almost totally empty server) a guy came from the back and rammed me. Totally my fault, but without the minimap on - and I hardly ever ever use the minimap, it was very hard to see who was coming. A well implemented lighting system would cut down this problem- it would be a great addition.

There are lights at the pits modeled already in some places, so I think it's on the cards somewhere that this will be included. +1
+1

even cooler would be if the admins could issue a command to open/close the pit lane and exit. also, for cars starting the race from the pits, it would be cool to be able to pull up to the pit exit, and wait at the red light, instead of waiting for the "time to join" countdown from the garage.
I'd like those too, would be nice. The previous time someone brought this up we had to conclude that it wouldn't work (imagin spinning out and crossing the pit line, woops, spectate??). This can be solved by only allowing the punishment when someone has just pit, or just joined.

The punishment should be a drive through or stopNgo. Spectate is a bit much I think. Especially because not everyone here are pro's like IRL and don't know the rules so well.
+1 at this suggestion: i think if you pass a redlight you sould get 30 sec time penalty or somat though
Why do you all think a black flag on a red light is too harsh? My thoughts about this ..

1.) Black flagging on crossing a red light at pitlane would meet the real life standards of racing. Due to LFS is a racing simulator and not a 'screenshot generator' (tm) , why not simulating real racing rules?

2.) Me guess, that new racers will pass a red light only once in a lifetime, coz they will notice that they have done anything wrong, when they find themself in spect mode.

3.) Lighter punishments should only be given for passing a blue light. Crossing a blue light = Stop&Go or Drive through or time penalty.

I'm sure such a 'harsh' system will HELP A LOT on educating new drivers and prevent them from pitting out at a bad moment, only to race against people who are IN the middle of the race. Or maybe even that moment were YOU come along the pits, having lead of the race. Know what I mean?

++ make this a server option, so the server owner can decide to use it, or not
+1 - The more real the better
I have a hotkey that says "Leaving pits, pass left/right" (depending on which side of the track the pit exit is on.) This helps other racers on the track so they are prepared to pass a slow car safely. This especially helps on the oval servers as the cars are on the gas nonstop.
+1 from me
+1 for me.

Hope it has more then just Red and Green, and rather Blue and Yellow as well. Just to be on the safe side, since just because people are coming down the Home straight people shouldnt have to stop completly but have a blue flag warning or something like that.
Make people be more careful... Yea but I do not like the idea of being held up by a red light at the pit exit.

Say I am in the lead and I make my mandatory pitstop, then when I go to leave pits I have to stop and wait for the entire field to pass before I can join back? Hell no. But I sure don't want somebody coming back on the track plowing through the posts to get back on the track.

I like the idea of it giving a penalty for crossing the line. I mean.. Think of what they do in real life, Do they have a stop light? NO!
Quote from skstibi :Think of what they do in real life, Do they have a stop light? NO!

YES! But it appears only, as soon the safety car is on the track. Must admit that I didn't mind that! Reviewing my idea, the red light / spectate punishment seems to be a bad idea, as we don't have safety cars in LFS.

At least it's all about a green and blue light only. Green light: Go on track is clear, no upcoming traffic yet! Blue lights telling you "Watch out for traffic on the track!" and then ...

I'd like to quote Speedy Pro here ...
Quote from Speedy Pro :... consider F1 - they have a white dividing line on pit exit, and if you cross it, you get a drive through or stop&go, or something like that. So perhaps, this could be done in LFS too.

That's it!
There is a problem!

You get erritating teenage noobs that will ignore penalties and will ignore pitlights and just 'drive'! Particularly if it was a a NO-VOTE server (no bans.... ugh)!

But otherwise, the few that 'actually' pay attention to track rules will follow the light! But nothing is garunteed!

I personally think the [FM] method of enforcing rules is nice.... ScrewUp=SpectateWithoutChoice ... because it helps keep the track clean... (Shift-p when crash rule, failure to do it yourself is either a kick, ban or autospectate there)...

But then, I hate noob friendly servers.... so I dont know what else to say etc.. blah blah blah!

It all depends on the maturity of the person behind the wheel.

+50 in the name of private servers + Event servers + hopefull chaos avoid(ment)!
Quote from CodieMorgan :
(Shift-p when crash rule, failure to do it yourself is either a kick, ban or autospectate there)...

That's the dumbest rule I've heard in a while. They want it realistic, they want the race rules to be followed, but for a few people to avoid a crash that's too hard. I hate shift+p people after a crash. I love to try to avoid a crash, and if it doesn't work out, that's too bad for me then. But that's racing.
Hope this thread now won't change sense to shift+p / shift+s discussions. So am I allowed to say: Please, back to topic.

Thank you.
+1 for penalties for crossing the white line (stop and go, drive through)

-1 for sending to spectate
I've been looking for a penalty system for crossing the pit lane exit line that I could add into LFSlapper for while now (especially for South track), but haven't come across anything yet.

If you spot something, can you please let me know?

Thanks in advance.
Yeah, I've seen this on servers before. It took me about 5 tries to figure out why I kept getting a stop and go when exiting the pits. Would be nice if this was built right into the game so it was always enforced, or have it as a server option.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG