The online racing simulator
rules of making addons?
(7 posts, started )
rules of making addons?
Since I cannot get the mekanik addon to work, I figured I can make my own to allow me to change the settings I would like.. Is it against any rules to modify the memory of the game?

I dont want to do anything I shouldnt..so i figured I'd ask first...
#2 - ORION
Make the program, then contact some of the mods here to test it, and they will tell you if it's safe to release it.
Note that any programs which allow changing the car speed/grip etc. on the same server as other users who do not use this program, will not be allowed to be made public.
As soon as the host needs to be updated too, it's fine.
So far, the 3 main rules of modding are:

1- You CANNOT allow online cheating
(only people with the SAME mod should be able to join the server.
Making a mod that allows you to mod in a 'stock' server is baaaaad)

2- You CANNOT edit the body meshes (or tracks) in any way.
The only exception here is the mags. Apps like BeSpoke are tolerated.

3- You CANNOT allow HotLaps to be uploaded to LFSworld.
(This is where MecaniK has failed miserably...)

Anyone taking advantage of any vulnerabilities and caught cheating will
be punished, possibly banned from online racing completely. Also, there
are good chances you'll be banned from any LFS 'services' like LFSWorld
and this very forum. I'd take this very seriously if i were you. As long as
you show good intentions and respect these basic rules, there are no
reasons to reject the app/mod.

Btw, you can send those mods to me, i'm usually the person who is
called on to verify these kind of things, usually...
Quote from Fonnybone :3 - You CANNOT allow HotLaps to be uploaded to LFSworld.
(This is where MecaniK has failed miserably...)

Obviously it's a problem. You are 'in charge' of others mods, yet your own has broken a rule. I'm assuming you ain't gonna ban your own account here. So solutions. There's no point bringing out a new version of Mekanic, as cheaters will just use the old one.

As I see it there are two scenarios.
1. Discuss your mod openly with Scawen and Victor, so that LFSW can automatically check if Mekanik was used. Maybe this is impossible.

2. Hope that Scawen's next patch contains a physics update that renders all hotlaps null and void. Then 'ban' Patch P from uploading hotlaps.
Quote from tristancliffe :As I see it there are two scenarios.
1. Discuss your mod openly with Scawen and Victor, so that LFSW can automatically check if Mekanik was used. Maybe this is impossible.

Isn't that obvious

Maybe a simple solution: LFS doesn't save any spr files were it sees some tweaks used? But this would mean that LFS needs to detect if there is a program changing values in the background.

Or maybe extend the hlvc thingie to check the replays for validity before it gets the hlvc approved. So you would need to drive a good lap, save it and then watch it again and LFS would check if the values in that spr are what they should be. So uploading these hlvc not approved hotlaps would still be possible but they wouldn't affect the "real" hot laps charts? It seems that the replays saves the data for the cars' performance (power, torque...) so it shouldn't be too hard to check these in lfs.

But I am not a programmer and I'm not telling anyone how to do it, just few suggestions :cookiemon
We also need a way of validating this for leagues as well.
This pretty much does away with the qualification process (uploading a hotlap) involved in some leagues.
Leagues who'd want to be extra sure would have to either have staff review all hotlaps submitted or run online qualification sessions only...
Quote from tristancliffe :Obviously it's a problem. You are 'in charge' of others mods, yet your own has broken a rule. I'm assuming you ain't gonna ban your own account here. So solutions. There's no point bringing out a new version of Mekanic, as cheaters will just use the old one.

As I see it there are two scenarios.

2. Hope that Scawen's next patch contains a physics update that renders all hotlaps null and void. Then 'ban' Patch P from uploading hotlaps.

Yes, indeed. I've failed miserably there i admit it. I've apologized to the
devs although i seemed much more concerned then they were. Others
might feel the need to make me their b!tch, but that's probably because
they don't have one of their own to beat up on. Rest assured that
i'm not going to take any decisions on mods on my own. I don't want to
be responsible for yet another 'incident'.... I don't want King Kong
to come here crashing everything ! lol

rules of making addons?
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG