The online racing simulator
Problem with graphics freezing
(141 posts, started )
Quote from kx_mole :Today another 3 hours (off and online too) without freeze... I can suggest to the Geforce 5- users to test the driver I linked... Maybe I am lucky that there are no freezes, but maybe not... Give it a try. (I used driver cleaner before it.)

Well that's a decent amount of running time without a freeze, but I am surprised. Keep us posted.

I just noticed that we both have the same BIOS: Phoenix Award v6.00PG. Infact your AIDA report suggests updating you AGP BIOS becuase it is old (2002). Mine is 2003 but gave no suggestion. I'll look into upgrading it. Jakg - do you have any tips on how to do it?

Could anyone else with this problem please post their BIOS make and version?
Do You mean the video bios? ( My system bios is 'pretty' fresh, I think the last one for a7n8x, I upgraded it always )

System BIOS Date 09/27/05
Video BIOS Date 05/20/02

info: I played another 2 hours in the night without problem , I will sleep here at work.
I meant both really. Glad to hear it's still working. I will install your magic :wizard: driver tonight and give it a good test tomorrow.
"updating you AGP BIOS becuase it is old (2002)." I just ignored the AGP word, sorry

Good luck with the driver
I can't really help, but I used to get occasional freezes- sounds looping for a few seconds, then textures disappearing until mostly everything was white- and text would degrade into blocks of flat colour too. This would quickly prompt a reboot, because when that happened, I couldn't just close and re-open LFS because the problem would still be there. I noticed a few other people reporting the problem, and at the time I thought it had to do with the strange way I was going back and forth from LFS to other programs, which was possibly corrupting a part of the memory. Whenever I just used LFS normally (no alt-tabbing?) things would be fine. I haven't had that problem for months now. Hope you can sort it out...

edit: I've attached an icon I made from this graphics corruption I was getting.
Attached images
1electrikbler.gif
Quote from Nick A :I just noticed that we both have the same BIOS: Phoenix Award v6.00PG.

Prob not adding anything to the thread, but i just thought i'd mention that the freezing/crashing probs i had with LFS were also on a socket'A' board with the Phoenix Award v6.00PG bios.
Quote from The Moose :Prob not adding anything to the thread, but i just thought i'd mention that the freezing/crashing probs i had with LFS were also on a socket'A' board with the Phoenix Award v6.00PG bios.

Thanks, certainly does add something. Especially interested to hear you had the same BIOS. I will definately update mine if moley's driver doesn't do the trick, I think I have found one newer version.

EDIT: My mobo is Socket 754 though.
Ow! :ambulance:

Got the :wizard: installed. Only played for half an hour but OK so far. Sometimes I will go for 3 hours or so without a freeze though. Will keep you posted...
I just got a freeze Slightly different to before, it froze for around 20-30 seconds then I got a BSOD. It said the file causing it was nv4_disp. The message said "problem with device/driver". Hmmm. :banghead:
Quote from Electrik Kar :...I've attached an icon I made from this graphics corruption I was getting.

The effect shown on your picture can be reproduced: disable the DirectX "DXT" texture formats in compatibility dialog (ati), then start gta san andreas for example and voila the same effect.

So i assume you've got only these kinds of effects, if you get giant traingles originating at some point around the theoretical centre of the screen then your graphics subsystem is overheating...
My once did and showed both effects, after a brief pause on the desktop it cooled down and worked just fine...

regards
Quote from Nick A :I just got a freeze Slightly different to before, it froze for around 20-30 seconds then I got a BSOD. It said the file causing it was nv4_disp. The message said "problem with device/driver". Hmmm. :banghead:

ahh bad news...((
did you use the driver cleaner ? for me it is still ok
Quote from kx_mole :ahh bad news...((
did you use the driver cleaner ? for me it is still ok

Yes, I used it.
:/ maybe You should try with a 6x.xx driver, before going back to 93.71
I don't think it's a driver problem for me (as I've had problems with several driver versions and a different GFX card too). I more suspect the BIOS, so I might try flashing it tonight with the newer version. My mobo FAQ says to use the new version with my CPU anyway.
ok, waiting for the result :Kick_Can_
gl
Nick A, I'd also suggest actually looking through your BIOS (once you've updated it) to see if anything needs fixing there. Because you said you're only having problems with LFS, I declined to suggest that you should check your BIOS settings. But it's probably the first place to start...

http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_2.html

Quick link to a reputable guide which shows you how to get the most out of your Nvidia card. Scroll down and there will be a section relating to BIOS. It's not comprehensive, but outlines the most important gfx settings. Read through it all if you have the time, because there's a lot of useful information in there- and your games will end up smoother too.
Thanks bud, I'll do that!
On my side, I downloaded the last driver version (81.98) for my old NVidia GForce 2 MX400 and I got no freeze after using both LFS W and X10 versions for more than 2 hours.

I hope that it is going to last. Anyway, I will advise you about any event which might happen later on. I guess, this fresh downloaded driver works better with DirectX 9.0c which I use now. Please note I still use an old computer:

AMD Athlon 1600+ - 1.4 Ghz - AMD Thunderbird Socket A
512 Mb Ram
Graphic: NVidia GForce2 MX400 - 64Mb AGP + TV
Mother board; ABIT KR7A-R VIA 266A RAID IDE AGP 4X ATA 133 DDR
DD: Maxtor 7200 T/M ATA 133 40Go and Hitachi 80Go both IDE

Software:
Windows 98 SE with the latest available pack update (no more supported now by Microsoft)
DirectX 9.0C

Once again, I wish that all together could sort this trouble out
Hi mamynast,

Hope that driver sorts it out for you, let us know how you get on. What BIOS do you have, and what version?
Hi Nick,

I regret to advise you that I couldn't access to the Bios version of my card using the usual way (rightclick on the desktop/properties/advanced/ video card), I got an error dialog box. I'm going to translate it to you as I use french windows 98 version:

"An error occured while accessing windows/system/desk.cpl file"

Is there a workaround to display my BIOS version ?

Thanks
You can do this:

Go to Start>run... and type regedit.exe

Then navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System

Click on the word "system". Please let me know the SystemBiosDate and SystemBiosVersion. Be careful not to change anything in the registry editor! Thanks!
Thanks for the help Nick,

I didn't find anything using the path you mentionned, nevertheless I got the following informations through Register Editor automatic search menu:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ENUM\ROOT

Biosdate: 11/23/01 (quite old - US format)
Biosname: "Award"
Biosversion: v1.0

I hope those informations could help you. I'm going to process full test of LFS (all tracks and cars) and keep you all posted. I got no freeze until now after updating my NVidia GeForce 2 - MX400 graphic driver.

I'll stay tuned
I'm not sure that's the right thing. I found an easier way though:

Open Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Information. Here you will find System Summary on the left and its contents on the right. See BIOS version/date.
I'm sorry, I found nothing instead . I think the reason I got error message while using right click desktop is that there are some missing files during Nvidia driver installation which are noticed on the last process you asked me to do:

default.tvp
nvwcplen.hlp
nvcpl.hlp
nvagp.inf (this one could be needed for the display)

I got the last driver from the following link:
http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce2mx.html

Maybe the last driver installation did not perform full update or it skipped (or deleted) the above mentioned files.

I'm wondering why I cannot display Bios information

I saw in regedit while searching "bios" string that I encoutered " Video bios posting problem". I'm going to check what happened.

Problem with graphics freezing
(141 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG