The online racing simulator
Car model mods?
(77 posts, started )
Car model mods?
Why is it that any unofficial addon/mod that changes the car models will be rejected by moderators?

I'd love to see a D1GP mod.

the physics in LFS are fine for drifting, shame about the car models dont include AE86, silvias, rx7s, and so on.
always the same problems

Just play rFactor if you wanna those Custom-Stuff
If you preffer good physics, stay at LFS
i do own rfactor the physics are terrible! and the drift mod has no release date.

LFS has it right.

I will happily pay another £24 to be able to load your own custom cars, so some one far more talented then me can make a mod that contains drift cars.

i really can't see what the problem is to be honest.
#4 - CSU1
Quote from danworth :

I will happily pay another £24 to be able to load your own custom cars, so some one far more talented then me can make a mod that contains drift cars.

i really can't see what the problem is to be honest.

not many money men around these parts lately, I'm with money too an all Dan, I wonder if sub-contracting should begin..."giving lfs tweakers the stuff"
The "problem" is that 1. LFS is still being developed with updated things like car physics, damage models, graphics and stuff like that and.....2. There can be risk's with doing this, for example, some people may make shit mods for this game, which then make LFS less appealing to other people, thus reducing sales, thus reducing income for the devs, thus making everyone unhappy bananas!
there will be no unoffical mods for LFS until after final versions are released. probilbly after S3
1, I can't see why this is a problem?
2. LFS is still there if people like LFS enough the fact that some mods aren't any good wont effect LFS in any way. There are some really bad mods for Half-Life but that doesn't stop people playing Counter-Strike.

One thing i know for sure if there was a drift car pack add-on a few more people from Driftworks will be buying it. The amount of people on DW that still use the Demo. Having to buy the full game so that they can add proper drift car models will be enough for them to buy LFS.
but thats the thing, even though people do drift on this game, lfs is'nt intended to be a drifting sim. lfs is intended to be a race sim, you know, close racing, door to door action. That kinda thing
#9 - CSU1
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :The "problem" is that 1. LFS is still being developed with updated things like car physics, damage models, graphics and stuff like that and.....2. There can be risk's with doing this, for example, some people may make shit mods for this game, which then make LFS less appealing to other people, thus reducing sales, thus reducing income for the devs, thus making everyone unhappy bananas!

1. good man, but don't forget LFS started out as a real basic sim and 'making it work' has allways been the moto for the community around here as i see.

2. Yes, in a way you are right. It is very hard to employ new programmers frequentley and both show them the whole concept and show them youre code structure.

Three dev's, itsa smallish project
well then im sure there's people out there that would love to be racing in Integra Type Rs, NSX-Rs, and so on, not just drifting.

And if its a good racing sim, it will be realistic enough to drift with.

I know there would be a copyright issue if LFS officially released these cars but when they are made by the public there isn't a issue.
Danworth, i may as well tell you this now seing as you dont seem to be getting the picture. LFS is not going to be open to modding for a LOOOOONG time. I dont mean 1-2 years. I mean coming onto 4-5, maybe even 6 years. SO you may as well forget about this for a while, because this is'nt going to happen for a long long long time yet.
if mods are released, the devs no longer have control over what happens to their game.
well there is always 1 question you can always ask...
...Why.

a sim doesn't have to be on it final build to be open to mods. there are many games not just racing that are always having updates, and yet open to mods, i cant see why LFS has to be s3 to allow mods...

i dont seem to be getting the picture... do you know how frustrating that is? - Is it obvious then? "oh of course mods wont be available LFS isn't s3 yet"

the people at LFS dont have to do any thing, just allow mods to be made that will make this possible. instead of stating that they will be refused with out explanation.
Quote from Zachary Zoomy :if mods are released, the devs no longer have control over what happens to their game.

well if you are running something modified on LFS as it is you wont be able to connect to a server with out that modification, LFS Tweak for instance.

their game is LFS you wont be editing... the mod runs on LFS but doesn't change it, so the Devs still have full control... it isn't like im asking for LFS to be open Source...
ffs, they wont allow it because it is too risky! Alot of games are modded without the dev's actually knowing. Do you really think if you went to the half-life dev's (Sierra?) with the recently realeased "saw" mod, do you really think they would actually put it into there game? HELL NO! And lets say the dev company got threatened of being shut down, most likely, they would have the cash to put themselves back on there feet. But LFS only has 3 main developers, and even though none of them are poor, they certainly dont have the ammount that companys like EA do (not alot of people do either!). Allowing modding in LFS would ruin the game for alot of people. There was a thread about it earlier in the year, and a majority did'nt want to see modding allowed into LFS until it became S3 FINAL, some did'nt even want to see it ever! SO you may as well forget about this, it is not going to happen for a long time, because it is too risky and can jeapordise the furture of lfs.
FFS??? Completely unnecessary.

I'm not asking LFS dev team release it with their game. If you read the terms it says any mod that changes the shape of the models will be refused.

Im not asking for anything to be changed appart from the fact that we could use our own models. no physics, tracks, power (well tweak can help there) changes.

just custom models.

and dev teams of the original game aren't responsible for 3rd party mods...
#17 - CSU1
Quote from danworth :FFS??? Completely unnecessary.

I'm not asking LFS dev team release it with their game. If you read the terms it says any mod that changes the shape of the models will be refused.

Im not asking for anything to be changed appart from the fact that we could use our own models. no physics, tracks, power (well tweak can help there) changes.

just custom models.

and dev teams of the original game aren't responsible for 3rd party mods...

fffs Dan, where have you been since 2004
search
ye i dont think this guy is good with searching
been playing LFS :P

how stubborn are some of you ppl :P

so no one here would like to race in their fav car then i take it?

It would be nice if some one in a position of more authority could give an official reason why they dont want people using their own models.

Instead of ppl just saying "because thats how it is" not quite an answer.
#21 - Jakg
Quote from danworth :so no one here would like to race in their fav car then i take it?

i want my fave car in RL, the FXO!
Quote from Zachary Zoomy :Racer has a D1GP mod:

racer fourm: http://forum.rscnet.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111

you have to search a bit though

yeah i have played that did enjoy it but the guy abandoned it

nathen_french_14 - What are you on about, lame extra post on your post count. okay, seems as im bad at searching and you must be half decent. find me the answer from an official.
Quote from danworth :nathen_french_14 - What are you on about, lame extra post on your post count. okay, seems as im bad at searching and you must be half decent. find me the answer from an official.

Thats not searching, thats asking a question

I just dont understand why you dont drop this? There is no "official" answer to this, as the dev's dont really like to discuss this. I think the main reason is because they think modding would turn this game into something they did'nt intend it to be turned into, and i agree with them on this. If you want to be able to mod cars Dan, then go to rFactor.
#24 - Woz
As other people have stated, LFS is still in development. The LFS licence allows the devs to change ANYTHING in the sim at any time as they wish.

When you include mods in a game the developers have to take into account mods as well when they make changes. Not having any mods mean the devs only have to deal with their own code. Its a simple way to keep development easier.

Yes mods can help games but most of the argument for mods such as CS in HL etc are flawed because most FPS games that are worth anything have been around for a long time and mod teams have progressed through the various versions of games until the only real mods worth grabbing are from the established mod teams that have had YEARS and YEARS to refine their mod.

rF has suffered because of mods because until now most have been piss poor and the mod teams appear to not understand about testing or release of code. So they release each bug fix as they make it and nobody knows what version they are meant to download. Its only now things like the new 3rd party FF engine come through that it shows exactly how poor most of the user generated stuff really is.

Who actually CARES if an LFS car looks like a real world car as long as when you drive the car it feels like a real car?
Any mod made for LFS would probably break with every patch. Hardly ideal, especially given the regularity oy patches (at times, anyway). Modding won't be allowed until it can be supported by the devs (should that ever happen).

Car model mods?
(77 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG