The online racing simulator
more detailed dirt on tyres
(15 posts, started )
I may be wrong but I think when the tyres get dirty, it doesn't simulate which part of the tyre actually touched the dirt, but rather it makes the "whole tyre" dirty - d'uh hard to explain.

I mean, if only the outside of a tyre touches the dirt, only that part should have less grip - much like tyre heat and wear is done - so it should at least be split up into 'outer, middle, inner', maybe even on 48 different points around the tyre, like for heat and wear....

does anybody know what i'm talking about?
#2 - Lible
Whatever.
Quote from Lible :What ever.

Wow, must have used all of your "Official LFS Translator" skills to come up with that post............bra vo.
#4 - Lible
Oops, your right, these are all my skills.
Hell I think it's a good idea. Not really fair to be penalized by having your entire rubber surface get dirty if you so much as kiss the dirt's edge.
#6 - bbman
Actually, it IS simulated... But just not graphicswise, I think...

Had it more than once, that I just hit the dirt for just a tiny moment... And it displayed it right by bouncing "dirt-meters" in F9-view...
Quote from ZeroDexter :I may be wrong but I think when the tyres get dirty, it doesn't simulate which part of the tyre actually touched the dirt, but rather it makes the "whole tyre" dirty - d'uh hard to explain.

I mean, if only the outside of a tyre touches the dirt, only that part should have less grip - much like tyre heat and wear is done - so it should at least be split up into 'outer, middle, inner', maybe even on 48 different points around the tyre, like for heat and wear....

does anybody know what i'm talking about?

It is simulated as to what part of the circumfrence of the tire is dirty, you can check this by getting your tires dirty and then locking them up on pavement, the part that locked up will be scrubbed clean, while the rest of the tire is dirty. I'm not sure if it simulates whether it's the outer, middle, or inner part of the tire though. That would be pretty cool though
I beg to differ - it is simulated on the individual sections, and drawn in F9 in the individual sections.

Test: Go to South City (Classic is ideal). On the exit of the last turn, there is a little bit of grass/soil at the start of the kerb. Drive over that slowly without scrubbing the tyres, and watch F9. Voila, dirt in one or two sections, clean in others.

Edit: Beaten by GTS! He's right it's not inner middle and outer though.
Yeah, I think the current degree of simulation is good enough. Actually adding inner/middle/outer part seems a bit over the top, but if it can be added without a noticeable performance hit... why not? But maybe it's already like that and Scawen just chose to only display the average of the three sections for the sake of viewability
#10 - axus
It changes as the tyre rotates, but not according to how much dirt is on the Inside/Middle/Outside, which is what I think is meant by the post. This would indeed be nice. It is kind of annoying to clip the grass the slightest bit - especially on BL1 - and not turn at all in the next corner.
This would be nice Then we can get rid of the silly overlays
Attached images
25.jpg
wonder where you got that pic from tristan, is it to do with cars and nets?

Troy
I think mentioning netKar is no problem here :rolleyes:
Quote from AndroidXP :Actually adding inner/middle/outer part seems a bit over the top

i think its absolutely necessary ... atm if you only clip the edge of one tyre onto the grass at a corners exit youll instantly spin as that whole tyre loses its grip
I like the dirt effect. And it seems to work plenty well. The only thing I'd change would be having the effect tire type dependent. A racing slick's ability to pick up and hold debris is very different from a normal passanger car tire. This variation should be moddled in LFS. Knobby and Normal road tires should hardly produce an effect since their compound is a bit hard to really hold anything, Super should to an extent as it's more like a street legal racing compound, and racing slicks would get the full effect. Other than that, I like the effect.

Ther per area(outer/middle/inner) effect would be a bonus, possibly pressure senstive like tire temp. If you ran a lot of camber, you may pick up a ton on the inner edge but very little on the outer.

Oddly, this effect may turn very benficial on dirt tracks and even snow if we get it. The pressure sensitivity and specific area location could help develope traction on deformable surfaces.

(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG