The online racing simulator
Clutch Pedal idea (kinda whacky)
Ok sitting here in college in a severe state of boredom all i could think about is how i wanted to have a clutch pedal for LFS but i can't afford another set of pedals.
I'll be damned if this was mentioned b4.... to the point....

Would it be possible for someone to write a small app that changes the configuration of a users controls?
If so i would like it if i could use my brake pedal as a clutch at the start of races, once I'm all the way off the clutch would then change to a normal brake pedal until the start of the next race.
It would make the starts a bit more interesting and i don't think I've ever used a brake pedal within 2 seconds of the start of a race.

Anyone else see a method in my madness? illepall

EDIT: This might be in the wrong secton.... if so mods please move. Thanks
I think it is a great idea, and maybe devs could make this option?

How come, a racing driver cant' afford another set of pedals??
Quote from Boris Lozac :How come, a racing driver cant' afford another set of pedals??

2 reasons...
Christmas is just over 2 weeks away
I spent alot of money racing.... never made much
Anyways, great idea
I'm sorry, but I think this is a horrible idea.

Firstly, since the clutch in LFS isn't fully modeled, using a pedal versus a button versus "auto clutch" makes virtually no difference at all. They're basically all auto clutch. You can't stall the car and feathering the clutch really makes no difference right now.

Secondly, once false starts are implemented you won't be able to go without a brake unless you're on a track with a totally flat starting grid.

I think you're trying to solve a "problem" that doesn't really exist. If having a clutch is that important to you, buy a cheap second hand wheel and pedals and use the second set of pedals as a clutch. Or, buy a cheap joystick and make it into a clutch pedal
Being able to set the handbrake until you started declutching would solve the problem that cue-ball posted. It seems like a reasonable idea, and I do like it, it would definately make drag racing more interesting. However, I have to disagree with Niki. There are times that you have to use the brake right off the start, like when the car ahead of you lags or spins, obviously a restart would solve this, but it's nice to avoid the accident all together and just race.
Quote from Cue-Ball :I'm sorry, but I think this is a horrible idea.

Firstly, since the clutch in LFS isn't fully modeled, using a pedal versus a button versus "auto clutch" makes virtually no difference at all. They're basically all auto clutch. You can't stall the car and feathering the clutch really makes no difference right now.

Exactly....right now. I'm suggesting this idea for when the clutch system is good.

Quote from Cue-Ball :Secondly, once false starts are implemented you won't be able to go without a brake unless you're on a track with a totally flat starting grid.

True, we'd need some sort of an 'auto handbrake'

Quote from Cue-Ball :I think you're trying to solve a "problem" that doesn't really exist. If having a clutch is that important to you, buy a cheap second hand wheel and pedals and use the second set of pedals as a clutch. Or, buy a cheap joystick and make it into a clutch pedal

This is a solution for those of us who, as i said above cant afford an extra pedal set, or dont have the foot (floor) room for an extra pedal (set).
clutch pedal
my shifter(as on an earlier post)has the capability to run an extra switch for the clutch operation.i have a microsoft sidewinder wheel and pedals. what i did was attach the pedals to a piece of 5mm plywood, leaving about 6 inches overhang to the left. then used a hinge and secured a pedal shape piece of plywood to the left on the overhang.used a spring to return pedal and made a pedal return stop using a screw.all i need to do now is solder a new switch position to pcb inside shifter and run it to a switch mounted at base of pedal.as for handbrake worries, button on the wheel assigned for handbrake can be held for starts. should work ok

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG