The online racing simulator
Woodhouse Viper in GT2
(11 posts, started )
Woodhouse Viper in GT2
It seems at the next race of the ALMS schedule, Woodhouse will be entering a Viper Competition Coupe into the GT2 class.

Does anyone know what (if any) changes had to be made to bring the car up to GT2 spec? I would have thought that the CC would be illegal in the series, since it is technically not based on the Viper street car, it's based from the GTS-R concept from a few years back. Anyone more 'in the know' know the deal here?
The CC coupe is based directly off a 2003+ production vehicle. They are shipped from the factory to Michigan where they are put together under a tighter spec with bushings and the like being replaced, as well as a cage being installed and the chassis stiffened.

The engine is minimally changed, suspension points are the same with A arms being the same as factory but new adjustable suspension additions were added (adjustable shocks with adjustable ARBS aswell as adjustable ride height)

There are differences but the chassis and most of the parts come from Dodge and are factory parts.

http://www.caranddriver.com/pr ... er-competition-coupe.html

I had a chance to see one of these close up when I did my SRT track experience. They are one nice bit of kit for the price =) To bad they are not road legal and you have to have a professional racing license to purchase one (the same as the all mighty GTS-R, which still holds the most EVER wins in GT1 racing, and people say American car's can't handle =)

As for the differences between GT2 and the CC I don't know, not much and IIRC Dodge intended this car to be able to run in GT2 class as is, as a racecar it's still fairly new so not many people have jumped on them yet and they are probably still trying to go through the tech process I donno =)

http://www.naykidracing.com/co ... n,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

Naykid racing also uses the CC in Pro SCCA, car is looking promising there aswell against the Porsche's.

Another thing about Dodge and racing, unlike most companies Dodge does not finacially support many vehicles now, this year they have pulled virtually every form of funding and instead are offering technical advice and engineering help for teams wishing to run Mopar. Alot of companies directly fund factory backed teams and this puts Dodge at a disadvantage. Dodge teams will now have to come up with the money from other areas. I think this is why you don't really see the CC competing much.
The CC is actually quite popular in the SPEED World Challenge GT series, which is where Bob Woodhouse normally races his CC.

So, the CC is based on the SRT-10, then? Something doesn't sound quite right about that, do you happen to have another source? I don't trust Car and Driver (magazine is complete shite now, sadly )
The competition coupe is based off the Viper Platform, dodge produced it a few years before the new SRT-Coupe came out, however it is a seperate body and car from the SRT-10 and SRT-Coupe, its basically a factory built race car from dodge. They used to have a website for it on dodge.com, which I read many times
Hehe I can look in a bit, but it's definatly off the new chassis 100% sure.

The CC is an awesome car and very cheap for the race performance you get from it =)

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/viper_competition.asp

The concept of the CC came from the GTS-R but it's the same tube chassis thats boxed in thats used on the current Viper srt-10.

When I talked to Dave when on my SRT trackday, crew chief for Cindi Lux, this was their big gripe with the vette's they used to run, chassis flex. They would dial a setup in, get the alignments right, take it to the track and the setup would get mushy when pushed hard because the Vette's chassis would twist and flex so bad. This was with the C5. He also had a complaint about Corvette's brake system, it worked well but needed to be rebuilt after every session whereas the viper, which they race with factory brakes, ran a whole season on one set of rotors.

This was the old Viper's before they purchased their CC coupes for this season.
So the STR-10 is based on the CC, so-to-speak. I guess that means that it meets the homologation rules, then.

I thought the SRT-10 wasn't out until 04 or 05? Guess I'm just flatout wrong :P
It was released in 03, but there wasn't a big hype about it and most people didn't hear about it until 04 really.

This year(07) they added 100HP, puts it at about 600(thanks to help from McLaren's engineers IIRC) and now makes 560ft-lbs. There was rumours it was going to be 650 but I haven't seen anything. I have also heard they updated the suspension but I haven't seen anything for a long time.

I can't wait to see how it does =) Dodge has limited data on these compaired to most of the field so they might struggle a bit.
I wish they'd return to GT1 and take it to the vettes
Me too, Dodge just cannot justify pouring that amount of money into their racing program though, which is a shame =(
I was just thinkin about this for a second again; the CC has to be modified for the GT2 class. The CC runs in the SPEED World Challenge GT series (among other similar series no doubt) which is slower than the GT2 class of the ALMS/LMES/LeMans. I can't believe I forgot that detail... man, I need to start getting some more sleep...
They are, but not that much slower, the chassis themselves wouldn't need any altering, any changes would more than likely be in the engine.

Woodhouse Viper in GT2
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG