The online racing simulator
Possibly caught speeding - Radar/Laser
(59 posts, started )
Quote from XCNuse :
Problem with the cameras though is that they are always right lol, they have a picture of proof and there is no way of fighting your way out of paying the price. Nothing like good hard evidence.

You CAN get away with it sometimes...depends where the van is parked (see my post above)
Quote from Bladerunner :Wake up and smell the Nescafe P5YcHoM4N...they make a bloody FORTUNE out of it...
Speed cameras for safetys sake?? My A**E!!! They stick cameras on stretches of road that are nice and straight and relatively safe, knowing damn well that people will be more likely to give it some welly there, than near a school...result, they aren't interested in safety, just money!

Bah, Nescafe sucks. They make less money from speed cameras than they do tax from someone who is in the top tax bracket.
They aren't really for safety sake as a bad driver can stay under the speed limit, the idea is to bully speeders out of it. The money they make (because most people don't pay up) is spent just keeping all the cameras running. Plus with the amount of people who don't pay tax because they are dole sucking scum bags, the government needs the money.

Also, seen as though they are to stop people speeding which is against the law, if you stuck to it, where is the problem? Nothing people do to try and stop speeders goes down well, they have installed speed bumps and chicanes around here most of which are around schools, and people bitched that it would damage their cars and put more lives in danger.

Simple way to get rid of speed cameras, stop speeding.
Well, what I'm saying is if you get a mail with with a bill in it, there is no way of getting out of it, 'cause they'll send you a picure too with a clear image of your tag, and speed.

Glad I don't speed.
I've discovered the secrets of the road. Driving fast doesn't help, and if you're like me and drive the right speed, and enjoy watching people take off at one light, only to find them at the next is a pleasure while you watch their face turn red.
Quote from XCNuse :Well, what I'm saying is if you get a mail with with a bill in it, there is no way of getting out of it, 'cause they'll send you a picure too with a clear image of your tag, and speed.

It was simple for me..I KNEW I had been flashed, and so I got off my bike, took pictures of the van with my digital camera (I have to carry one for work), and when I got the letter, I took the option to fight the case in the court...
When I showed MY photos to the bench and PROVED that the van was illegally parked, they had no option but to WITHDRAW the photos the van had taken of me...no photos, no proof, no case

BTW...this was on a road that had been changed from a 60 MPH limit to a 50 MPH limit the previous week, WITHOUT any public consultation, and without adequate prior notification...which in itself would have been enough to see the case dropped anyway
Quote from XCNuse :Glad I don't speed.
I've discovered the secrets of the road. Driving fast doesn't help, and if you're like me and drive the right speed, and enjoy watching people take off at one light, only to find them at the next is a pleasure while you watch their face turn red.

Try that around where I live, XC. We will start at the closest stoplight and drive to the next light. You drive 40 mph, I'll drive 60 mph. I'll get there 20 minutes earlier than you, hehehe.
#31 - DeKo
With no margin of error, its far more dangerous than another 5 mph or so, I mean jesus, if you can get caught doing 1 mph over, youll be constantly staring at your speedo instead of actually looking where your going.

Also, loads of people slamming on their brakes for a speed camera is, i imagine, quite unsafe aswell.
Quite. They had some nice average speed (SPECS?) cameras on the motorway where some roadworks are... Great! 3 lanes of traffic staring at their speedos for a whole mile! Safetastic mate!
Quote from XCNuse :
@ajp, That is hard to believe someone got pulled going 1mph over, 1mph isn't even gaugable on a speedo. Limit here (unless you aren't lucky) is within 5 mph of the speed, even though most people still go around 15mph + over the limit.

This was an automated camera ticket. I think even most cops know they'd be in for a mouthful if they tried that

Quote :
Also, loads of people slamming on their brakes for a speed camera is, i imagine, quite unsafe aswell.

Yes I remember reading somewhere that one of the Scottish constabularies have stopped using them on country roads following a string of fatalities caused by bikers trying to slow for them.
Quote from ajp71 :This was an automated camera ticket. I think even most cops know they'd be in for a mouthful if they tried that

That would be ridiculous, first there is the inherent risks in that no one would look up, but also very few speedos are 100% accurate, my mates Astra is way off, he runs satnav to show his "real" speed because his speedo is 20mph slow.
I felt the same as you Matt, was leaving Motherwell after working there, It goes from a single lane to a double after a roundabout, it's also downhill.

Being 8 at night the sun was basicly just above the road in my eyes, then who do I just see standing like his batton is up his behind? Yeah, Plod. I was doing about 45 when I saw him, then I slowed down to about 35, I don't think it helps slowing down but it's just a reaction.

Anyway, didn't get any letter through, but it was sucky after it not knowing if it was a 30 or a 40.

Also had some jack artist on the way to college one morning, they were pulling alot of people into the bus stop, I was allready alongside the start of the bus lane when this jacko points at me to come in. I was nearly passed him and there's no way i'm slamming the breaks for some sleeping pc plum.

Apart from that i've never even been asked to pull over, nor checked. Used to drive a moped when i was 16 to and was never checked on that neither, no wonder there's so many people getting away with no insureance or liscences.

Known of a guy some years ago, was just over 16, got himself fake lisence fake mot and fake insureance and an old rover. He got away with that, he was pulled over quite a few times and checked but somehow our reliable police force nowadays can't tell a real liscence to a fake.

EDIT: Psycho, I think you'll probarly find that your mates astra had the speedo tampered, heard and saw of quite alot of cars having the speedos tampered so that there mileage isn't as high as it should be.
Quote from Bawbag :EDIT: Psycho, I think you'll probarly find that your mates astra had the speedo tampered, heard and saw of quite alot of cars having the speedos tampered so that there mileage isn't as high as it should be.

People seriously do that?

That has to be one of the most retarded things I've heard of someone doing to a car, why not just remove the brakes to make it lighter, or stick huge spikes all around it to cause maximum damage when you drive through a crowd of people.
Clocking is still done but less common than it used to be (due to police crackdowns and the sophsitication of modern cars). As for the speedo, is the car standard? Changing wheels sizes is the easiest way to make a car way under (or over) read. Legally a speedo can read between the real figure and upto 10% over it.
Quote from Bawbag :
I felt the same as you Matt, was leaving Motherwell after working there, It goes from a single lane to a double after a roundabout, it's also downhill.

Being 8 at night the sun was basicly just above the road in my eyes, then who do I just see standing like his batton is up his behind? Yeah, Plod. I was doing about 45 when I saw him, then I slowed down to about 35, I don't think it helps slowing down but it's just a reaction.

Anyway, didn't get any letter through, but it was sucky after it not knowing if it was a 30 or a 40.

Also had some jack artist on the way to college one morning, they were pulling alot of people into the bus stop, I was allready alongside the start of the bus lane when this jacko points at me to come in. I was nearly passed him and there's no way i'm slamming the breaks for some sleeping pc plum.

Apart from that i've never even been asked to pull over, nor checked. Used to drive a moped when i was 16 to and was never checked on that neither, no wonder there's so many people getting away with no insureance or liscences.

Known of a guy some years ago, was just over 16, got himself fake lisence fake mot and fake insureance and an old rover. He got away with that, he was pulled over quite a few times and checked but somehow our reliable police force nowadays can't tell a real liscence to a fake.

EDIT: Psycho, I think you'll probarly find that your mates astra had the speedo tampered, heard and saw of quite alot of cars having the speedos tampered so that there mileage isn't as high as it should be.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks.

Regarding clocking etc... i went college with someone who disconnected the speedo on every car/bike he ever bought/owned, which means he drove about guessing his speed the whole time... until he got clocked doing a 140mph on his R6.
Quote from DeKo :Also, loads of people slamming on their brakes for a speed camera is, i imagine, quite unsafe aswell.

Tell me about it. Every day I commute through the cradlewell bypass in Newcastle, where there are a pair of front-facing speed cameras on each side of the road at the bottom of the dip. The limit is 40, but the amount of people that do 45-50 down the bank then slam the brakes on and pass the cameras at 30, is rediculous. You have to prime yourself for teh car in front slamming their brakes on instead of concentrating on all the traffic around you. Drivers are so myopic they don't even have a clue what the speed limit is, they just see a camera and think "shit, gotta do 30!". Yeah, real safe.

The irony is that these cameras are on a section of 40mph dual carriageway with no central reservation and no footpaths. And they say they only put cameras in accident hotspots, or where there have been fatalities. So after much research when I was bored at work one day, I found out the only reference I could find to any fatal accidents there was that four young lads had been killed when they crashed at high speed at the bottom of the dip.

In their stolen Sierra.
Quote from DeKo :I mean jesus, if you can get caught doing 1 mph over, youll be constantly staring at your speedo instead of actually looking where your going.

Who wears a speedo when they drive? And, why would you keep staring at yourself down there? Unless you're going to the beach or something.
I'm not sure how many cars this could be applied to, but I know someone who found where the wiring to the speedo came from in the loom and fitted a toggle switch to the wire. Leave it on for short journeys, switch it off for long journeys. Cars stays relatively low mileage. Easily removable before selling the vehicle.
Speedo? You mean the odometer?

Ohhh what a sly trick :rolleyes:
Quote from ajp71 :Clocking is still done but less common than it used to be (due to police crackdowns and the sophsitication of modern cars). As for the speedo, is the car standard? Changing wheels sizes is the easiest way to make a car way under (or over) read. Legally a speedo can read between the real figure and upto 10% over it.

Totally stock, it was brought brand new as a fleet car from a Vauxhall Dealership.

Quote from mattupson :Hmm, interesting. Thanks.

Regarding clocking etc... i went college with someone who disconnected the speedo on every car/bike he ever bought/owned, which means he drove about guessing his speed the whole time... until he got clocked doing a 140mph on his R6.

The speedo on our old Granada broke one year and rather then getting it fixed right away we would just guess the speed and follow the flow of traffic. There was a sweet comfortable spot on the peddle where it didn't kill your feet and the engine was running in a sweet part where it was nice and quite and very responsive. Finally got the speedo fixed and found that sweet spot was 90MPH.
LOL Xc. You're right, but...
...You obviously haven't taken a road trip. I did up to 100 mph thru your state once to get to work on time in Texas. It was at night and I hit an armadillo. I made it to Slidell, La. by day break And yeah, I know, it wouldn't of been just a ticket if I got nailed. Cops don't like triple digit speeds. It was kind of an emergency and there was nothing but kudzo - and armadillos around. Actually, I was barely keeping up with a couple of 18 wheelers.
Quote from mattupson :Hmm, interesting. Thanks.

Friend of mine disconnected his with over 250,000 miles on the odometer. He drove it like that for over 5 years, and drove a lot. He did not baby that car either. No one in the world probably beat on a car like he did.
With the current trend of moving to front-facing cameras, I'm seriously considering getting a bike.
#47 - Jakg
Quote from DeKo :Also, loads of people slamming on their brakes for a speed camera is, i imagine, quite unsafe aswell.

My Dad seems not to want to want to "give it away" to a police officer that he's speeding (even if he's only doing 2/3 mph over) and pulls on the handbrake, rather than smashing the brake.

Last time he tried this, he wasn't in his big Omega, but a little Golf. He never told me what happened, but he ain't never doing it again :P
#48 - Jakg
Quote from Bawbag :Apart from that i've never even been asked to pull over, nor checked. Used to drive a moped when i was 16 to and was never checked on that neither, no wonder there's so many people getting away with no insureance or liscences.

Cops dont seem to check mopeds, especially when over 50% are illegally de-restricted (guilty ), but to be fair if i was a copper i'd let em slide because limiting something like that to 31 MPH means you get idiots doing 31 MPH on a country road with a car coming up behind round a blind bend at 60, or an idiot who thinks that an A-road is a great place for a 31 MPH machine.

And like they say "speed kills", yup, shame it's the lack of it!
Quote from XCNuse :Speedo? You mean the odometer?

It's the same data feed, kills them both.
Quote from Jakg :Cops dont seem to check mopeds, especially when over 50% are illegally de-restricted (guilty ), but to be fair if i was a copper i'd let em slide because limiting something like that to 31 MPH means you get idiots doing 31 MPH on a country road with a car coming up behind round a blind bend at 60, or an idiot who thinks that an A-road is a great place for a 31 MPH machine.

And like they say "speed kills", yup, shame it's the lack of it!

Haha! Yea, the first engine my scooter had was pretty wrecked, had been threashed for a few years prior to me getting it. When it was first de restricted it nearly hit 60mph, it did over it on a hill, when I got it all I could get was 57 on a hill (To begin with) When I was done it barely hit 50. A bit OT but yea, having a scooter that could do 50 was good because I drove alot on single track and normal national speed limit roads, was still alot slower but there was usually some Sunday driver going slower.

However, that engine eventually died, so I got a newer one and de restircted it, but I think the newer engines are made in such a way that they don't have te performance of the old ones, so I was lucky to get 40mph on that and I can safely say it felt a hole load dangerouse on the new engine than the old. Sorry for going way off topic but just thought i'd share some of the wonderfull year I spent fearing for my life with a hairdryer between my legs.

Possibly caught speeding - Radar/Laser
(59 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG