The online racing simulator
MSN interrupts LFS since X10
(13 posts, started )
Hi,

Not sure if this is a problem with my setup or to do with the X10 patch.

I logged on last night and updated to X10. This morning I was racing, and as I always do my MSN runs in the background, I run LFS in full screen mode. Before when playing LFS if I got MSN messages they would sit there until full screen was de-selected or the program closed.

I have not changed any settings on MSN or my computer but now if I get an MSN message while racing it minimises the LFS window.

Is this a bug or is there something simple I can check?

Many thanks in advance

Chris
This occurs when MSN does not get put into "busy" mode. Easy way to do it is change MSN into busy mode when you play (as the set at busy when running full screen program, option, doesnt always work)
#3 - Bean0
Bin the MS client and use Pidgin
#4 - DeKo
Quote from Bean0 :Bin the MS client and use Pidgin

I want to do that but basically cant, have too many neddy mates who use all the MSN Plus colour codes in their names, on pidgin its just a scramble of numbers and letters.

@ OP, in MSN Plus theres an option where you can hide MSN (you just hit ctrl+space), which is what i do when im going to play LFS, just to make sure nothing disrupts me. Also good for hiding MSN when you shouldnt be on it.
#5 - Bean0
Quote from DeKo :I want to do that but basically cant, have too many neddy mates who use all the MSN Plus colour codes in their names, on pidgin its just a scramble of numbers and letters.

Aye, people like that annoy the hell out of me as well, but it's easy enough to give them an alias
Yeah, I'm on Trillian, I rename everyone to their real names so I know who everyone is. It also ignores any colour and font settings you might be using, and strips out all custom images. Makes everything so much more normal and professional. MSN is for kids.
Msn is not supposed to both lfs in anyway at all. The only time I encountered that was when my msn got hacked with a message that says I got my msn names from IM-Names.com. But after i removed that virus, it stopped bothering my lfs. and that was around U28 test patch. But usually I'm on MSN on my PSP.
#8 - garph
Might just be my simple mind but......don't have MSN running when you're playing LFS.

I didn't realise so many people leave it running I try and grab every last drop of FPS and bandwidth I can.
I have noticed this too, several programs have caused lfs to minimise halfway through a race. This never happened before patch X.
Quote from Bob Smith :Yeah, I'm on Trillian, I rename everyone to their real names so I know who everyone is. It also ignores any colour and font settings you might be using, and strips out all custom images. Makes everything so much more normal and professional. MSN is for kids.

Here here

Quick Q for you Trillian users - What are MSN file transfers like ?
In Pidgin they are painfully slow, this is the ONLY thing that I don't like about it.
Quote from Bean0 :Quick Q for you Trillian users - What are MSN file transfers like ?

Generally rubbish. I suspected it might have bee down to my ISP's traffic shaping, but i know a few Trillian users that say they have slow file transfers.
Quote from The Moose :Generally rubbish. I suspected it might have bee down to my ISP's traffic shaping, but i know a few Trillian users that say they have slow file transfers.

As far as I can gather, it's to do with the transfer going through the MSN network, rather than directly from user to user as would happen with the genuine MS client.

Not sure if it affects all non-MS clients though, that's why I asked

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG