The online racing simulator
Forced cockpit [spinoff - adjustment]
All other threads are getting bogged down with futile arguements so.......
I would assume that everyone who likes the idea of a forced cockpit agrees that there should be some sort of adjustment.
I propose that there is a limited amount of "clicks" in both X,Y and Z axis of the eyepoint for adjustment in forced camera servers.

Any comments suggestions, I feel this "hot topic" should be in general for the time being.
I agree - 100mm and a 5 deg of pitch would be super.
pitch, height and front/rear positions should be adjustable.
#4 - Juls
Someone suggested that all view movements should be allowed as soon as you are at same Y-level or in front of driver eyes.

It prevents from using chase views, but allows all possible customisation for large FOV displays, shutter glasses, hood and reasonable roof views that bring no unfair advantage.

(People using 3 monitors have to increase FOV a lot, and they need to move view more than 20 cms front in order to avoid interior covering 70% of screen)
Sounds like a good idea.

You would also need to allow for some pitch adjustment

A 'T' bar view has also been suggested for single seaters. Maybe the X, Y, Z and pitch adjustments could have enough latitude to allow for this as well.
Quote from Juls :... and reasonable roof ...

There is NO reasonable roof view for a driver....
Quote from dungbeetle :Sounds like a good idea.

You would also need to allow for some pitch adjustment

A 'T' bar view has also been suggested for single seaters. Maybe the X, Y, Z and pitch adjustments could have enough latitude to allow for this as well.

Since when were F1 cars driven from the T-cam view? Show me a clip of Kimi doing it and I'll shut up.
DAMN....I just deleted that clip.....

Quote from tristancliffe :Since when were F1 cars driven from the T-cam view? Show me a clip of Kimi doing it and I'll shut up.

That's OK tristancliff, you don't have to shut up.

Go ahead and voice your opinions!

#10 - Juls
Quote from Vykos69 :There is NO reasonable roof view for a driver....

Sorry but IRL I can look at the road and see cars on the sides at the same time. I have both sense of speed and see details far away.

Elevated and pitched view may seems a strange idea at first glance, but it gives a more realistic sense of speed, and a more realistic side view. eye's position is not anymore realistic, but two other things become realistic.

With cockpit view you have realistic eyes position, but sense of speed and side view are sacrified, and you can't improve both, because as soon as you increase FOV, car interior stretches.

Cockpit view is a bit tricky...it looks 100% realistic, but it is not
There should be some adjustment but it should be kept well within the confines of reality. I don't see any need for left right movement, that only opens up exploiting for autocross and IMO the vertical movement should be restricted to the current level or lower, so those that like a possibly more realistic experience can get it but no one ends up on the roof. IMO pillars and so on should be in everyones way so bonnet views are out of the question.
What Tristan said, 0,150 m adjustment to every side for each axle. That would be fine with me.
Quote from ajp71 :... IMO the vertical movement should be restricted to the current level or lower, so those that like a possibly more realistic experience can get it but no one ends up on the roof. IMO pillars and so on should be in everyones way so bonnet views are out of the question.

Point taken about on the roof (and the 'T' cam, tristancliffe ) views, but you may be over reacting a little on the vertical movement thing.

When my dear little ol' mum drives, she can barely see over the wheel. However, I am much taller than she, and therefore legitimately have a slightly higher perspective on things.

Without at least some upward vertical adjustment, am I forever destined to drive like my mum! (Hey, and no smart comments about I already do, OK! )
It's what I use with a FOV 90 (approximatly)
Y + 0.500 m
This value would increase if I had to increase the FOV

I guess the Z could be adjust realisticaly + 0.050 max

The result are also differents from one car to another!

Here is what i get with the FZ50 and Y ~ + 0.450 m

150mm movement to every side isn't enough, Added my FXR POV, on XRR the Y-axis was something like 300+mm, so FXR has the largest offset that I have. It isn't about simulating the seat movement on a family sedan, rather than trying to simulate what a driver SEES in a REAL car.
Attached images
fxrview.jpg
#16 - Juls
Quote from ajp71 : IMO pillars and so on should be in everyones way so bonnet views are out of the question.

This is a dead-end way. With triplehead2go you put FOV at 130-140 or more. With such FOV, the board looks 1 meter away, the interior takes 70% of display, the pillars are close from center, and you need to move at least 50 -70 cms front to have the pillars back at their right place (on side displays).
So you need to allow such move for triplehead2go users, but if you use such move with a 90 degrees FOV, you have a bonnet view.

The funny thing is that one reason why I wanted to buy LFS is the possibility to customize view. Until now only RBR with Camhack allowed me to achieve a satisfying view for my non-usual display (2 monitors, and maybe shutter glasses next as the framerate is very high). GTL, GTR2, rFactor are not satisfying. When I discover it, they start to change it...bad luck
Quote from Vykos69 :There is NO reasonable roof view for a driver....

Sure but there is resonnable hood view cause my desktop is my cockpit and i don't want to be forced to play with 2 cockpits........
Quote from otolikos :Sure but there is resonnable hood view cause my desktop is my cockpit and i don't want to be forced to play with 2 cockpits........

roof != hood

As long as you sit to the left side of your monitor or you have moved the hoodview to the side, I'm ok with that
I think, as I said in another thread, that there should adjustment of camera position forward and backward along a line running front-of-car-to-back-of-car through the driver's seat. No higher, and not to the side. The camera should be positionable as far forward as the top of the dash board, or a limited distance in front of the steering wheel.
Quote from sinbad :I think, as I said in another thread, that there should adjustment of camera position forward and backward along a line running front-of-car-to-back-of-car through the driver's seat. No higher, and not to the side. The camera should be positionable as far forward as the top of the dash board, or a limited distance in front of the steering wheel.

I agree with most of that, other than the height bit, being 6ft 4 means I sit a fair bit higher (in most cars without adjustable seats), so I like to be quite "high" in the car, but obviously this should be capped at a point before you "touch" the roof
Firstly, I want to say that I'm 110% for forced incar view, but of course with some adjustments allowed
I think that default incar view is good for mouse driving, because then LFS is played just like fps game - with mouse you control the virtual driver's "inside the monitor" hands which in turn hold the virtual steering wheel...
However, such view makes no sense when you are driving with a wheel, because the YOU are the driver and you hold a real steering wheel in your hands. So the monitor shows you only what is above the steering column - top of the dashboard and windscreen area above it.
You may also look at correct/realistic incar camera situation this way - your monitor screen surface is the longitudinal position of camera/in game driver's eyes, but your real eyes are some 40-60cm behind, so you have to move incar camera position forward to compensate for that and get the right view.
IMO there shouldn't be any lateral adjustment for default incar view, but there must be longitudinal one - say as much so the camera doesn't cross the glass os windscreen and doesn't go back into seat's headrest; for vertical axis I think +- 10-15cm would be enough(to prevent unrealistic T bar cam on single seaters) and up and down pitch should be allowed as it doesn't harm realism if you want to look between your legs while driving
Here I attach a quick "scheme": red - default, blue - as described.

I hope this post makes sense
Of course other peoples' preffered adjustments will/might differ but that's why we MUST have the ability to customize the default forced incar view as long as it stays close to realistic.

Edit: shouldn't have started a reply two 2.5 hours earlier than was able to submit it as others have already posted screens with "my" view...
Attached images
view.JPG
How about the option be available only if the server is using an autocross layout?

I believe that's why it was implemented in the firs place...

I guess it would be a solution.
Quote from danowat :I agree with most of that, other than the height bit, being 6ft 4 means I sit a fair bit higher (in most cars without adjustable seats), so I like to be quite "high" in the car, but obviously this should be capped at a point before you "touch" the roof

Yep, I concur.
#24 - Gunn
Quote from eRaptor :How about the option be available only if the server is using an autocross layout?

I believe that's why it was implemented in the firs place...

I guess it would be a solution.

Yes it would be a solution to a problem that doesn't even exist.
Quote from Gunn :Yes it would be a solution to a problem that doesn't even exist.

A 30% complaint! It's true it doesn't even exist. They must be ghosts

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG