The online racing simulator
gp2 crash yesterday
(15 posts, started )
#1 - Tango
gp2 crash yesterday
anybody see the gp2 crash at the french gp yesterday? made me wince when i saw it,NOT for the faint hearted ! apparently Viso is ok but what a lucky guy and stewards.
Tango

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=o2DQjFt102Q
Looks like he tried to pull a Kubica, but ended up too far left missing the angled wall. However, the 540° degree grind/slide he did on the wall elegantly made up for the obviously botched attempt of doing it like the big boys.
Close call!
#4 - ajp71
He was so lucky he didn't hit a marshal or anything hard
Yeah, he was a very lucky man and those were some very lucky marshals. If the car slid over the wall rather than on it he could have had serious head injuries, thankfully everyone is ok, looked nasty though!

pic of the crash http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/7628/visohh9.jpg
WOW marshalls just escaped death
Quote from ajp71 :He was so lucky he didn't hit a marshal or anything hard

wow... yeah there are so many things that could have been moved even a few inches he wouldn't have survived that! Not sure what happened, but it seems he pulled a LFS T1 crash... Then the start two cars collided aswell, with a wheel getting close to the drivers compartment.
#8 - DeKo
Quote from Viper93 :wow... yeah there are so many things that could have been moved even a few inches he wouldn't have survived that! Not sure what happened, but it seems he pulled a LFS T1 crash... Then the start two cars collided aswell, with a wheel getting close to the drivers compartment.

it did, i think. read somewhere else that the guy got knocked out in the start crash.
Jeez, that was insane. Glad he got out okay. As for the start; no one was knocked out. In the SPEED Channel coverage they interviewed Glock (he's the one who got hit in the head) and he said it hurt but he's fine. Also the tire changer who was hit in the pits is fine, aside from some pretty intense bruising on his legs.

That was absolutely rediculous. A whole heap of stupid errors and close calls. I'm amazed no one was hurt (and I'm not just referring to those two incidents). That race was like the open-wheel version of the BTCC.
Quote from MAGGOT :
That was absolutely rediculous. A whole heap of stupid errors and close calls. I'm amazed no one was hurt (and I'm not just referring to those two incidents). That race was like the open-wheel version of the BTCC.

Yes and just like BTCC the amount of contact and general dangerous driving (barging and Hamilton style 'overtaking' manoeuvres) has to stop. With current standards in fast cars it's just a matter of time before one of these big crashes turns to tragedy. Just looking around on youtube there were several big crashes in F3/GP2 that weekend and plenty more dodgy moves that very nearly caused them.

IMO overall motorsport safety comprises of three things, not having an accident/avoid hitting something hard, loosing energy safely/restrained in car and availability of medical attention. In that order, the last two have been dramatically improved over recent years but the first and most fundamental one has been rapidly declining. Ten years ago drivers simply wouldn't do what they do now on the basis they knew they wouldn't be walking away if it went balls up.
Must of just been a bizarre weekend. This, then on sunday one of the spykers sprouting a rather flammable tail.
Quote from ajp71 :Yes and just like BTCC the amount of contact and general dangerous driving (barging and Hamilton style 'overtaking' manoeuvres) has to stop. With current standards in fast cars it's just a matter of time before one of these big crashes turns to tragedy. Just looking around on youtube there were several big crashes in F3/GP2 that weekend and plenty more dodgy moves that very nearly caused them.

IMO overall motorsport safety comprises of three things, not having an accident/avoid hitting something hard, loosing energy safely/restrained in car and availability of medical attention. In that order, the last two have been dramatically improved over recent years but the first and most fundamental one has been rapidly declining. Ten years ago drivers simply wouldn't do what they do now on the basis they knew they wouldn't be walking away if it went balls up.

Good point =) Never thought of it that way before, drivers are feeling safer so they are making more dangorous manuvers, sounds about right =) That GP2 start and T1 looked almost like a start on a public LFS server =)
Watching a torrent I downloaded, and I JUST saw that crash. Haven't finished the race yet, so i'm hoping Vizo comes out of it ok. Still isn't moving as far as I can see.

But holy shit, this whole race is just one big mess. The Zuber Glock starting crash, Vizo's spectacular crash, and then a pitcrewman gets run over?

:P

EDIT: Oops, DP.
-
(sinkoman) DELETED by sinkoman : double post
WOW good thing open wheel cars a alot safer now days.
I'm suprised his legs weren't broken; The nose of his car looks like it's broken at the front of the cockpit 'hole.'

gp2 crash yesterday
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG