The online racing simulator
Electric car beats Porche/Ferrari???
Wiki information: http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Ian_Wright's_X1

Original Article: http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/0 ... ss2_wrightspeed/index.htm

Hmmm, after watching the documentary "who killed the electric car?" I started to ignore the car companies' rant that electric cars does not have a good future because the technology does not call for the car to go fast

But when i read that an electric car beats Porche/Ferrari I was dumbfounded.

Think an electric car has a future in auto racing? (an all electric car series LOL)
#2 - amp88
I once heard a saying that a one trick pony was only cool if the one trick it knew was actually any good. This car seems to be very much a one trick pony and that trick isn't really fantastically impressive. Yes, due to the nature of electronic motors it can accelerate from 0-60mph in a very short period of time, but its top speed is 112mph (due to a single gear ratio, which also helps acceleration) which is hardly impressive and what about its range? The official website is quoted at >100 miles in urban use. It weighs nearly 700 kilos compared to the original Ariel Atom which only weighs 456 kilos. Put this X1 and an original Atom on the track and the Atom would just walk away from it on anything except low speed acceleration. One trick pony intended to generate interest in electric cars.
no where did i say that electric car will replace the combustion engine car. However, my question is that will it generate enough interest to form a electric car racing league?
best go watch top gear then as the electric atom was restricted and "one trick pony" ?!? ROFL
i seen many vid's on the atom and EVERY one has the testdriver (Clarkson was one) grinning and screaming like lunatics:P so go figure
Quote from lizardfolk :my question is that will it generate enough interest to form a electric car racing league?

Suppose any league in LFS could "technically" be classed as an electric car racing league
Kind of old news. Was local news here where I live. There are even faster electric cars than this though....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8qDZOBQs60w --- The guys driving the supercars are terrible drivers methinks.
#7 - bbman
Quote from Psymonhilly :best go watch top gear then as the electric atom was restricted and "one trick pony" ?!? ROFL
i seen many vid's on the atom and EVERY one has the testdriver (Clarkson was one) grinning and screaming like lunatics:P so go figure

Top Gear NEVER had any electric powered Atoms on their show... They had the normal supercharged petroil powered one... This electric Atom is a custom build (like DP's V8-Atom)...
Quote :LFS could "technically" be classed as an electric car racing league

yeah, that's where I pulled my name from. Electric cars, virtual cars...

It's the way of the future!
#9 - amp88
Quote from Psymonhilly :best go watch top gear then as the electric atom was restricted and "one trick pony" ?!? ROFL

The X1 is a one trick pony. The original Ariel Atom has a couple of tricks more.

Also, in the video the X1 is on Advan A048s (street legal semi-slick tyres) and the Ferrari and Porsche are, presumably, on their standard road tyres designed to do 25,000 miles. Put the Porsche on A048s or other similarly grippy tyres and the race would be a lot closer, since the Porsche is audibly traction limited in low gears on the run.
Quote from amp88 :The X1 is a one trick pony. The original Ariel Atom has a couple of tricks more.

Also, in the video the X1 is on Advan A048s (street legal semi-slick tyres) and the Ferrari and Porsche are, presumably, on their standard road tyres designed to do 25,000 miles. Put the Porsche on A048s or other similarly grippy tyres and the race would be a lot closer, since the Porsche is audibly traction limited in low gears on the run.

ya the ariel atom is better.
Electric will be very powerful
its gonna be more exciting if someone could make a electric car which would beat bugatti veyron
I've seen a documentary about an electric car, which was intended to outrun any petrol propelled sports car. OK, it had 8(!) wheels, was huge and heavy, but it did some 220-240mph. Nevermind that Veyron does 253mph. Anyway, they were all the time proudly claiming, that it was superior to any sportscar in acceleration and top speed (and even if it were), they only did one lap on an oval test track. I think that any car (not even a sports car) would last longer
That's all well and good but I'd rather be riding Jack's scooter than be seen in an electric car - wait, that's a close one, but still the torque of electric motors doesn't win over the sound of an internal combustion engine for me. Give me the supercharged Atom any day
Quote from pb32000 :the torque of electric motors doesn't win over the sound of an internal combustion engine for me.

You're right about that. Electric cars are quiet, and I know I will miss the sound of a roaring engine too, but they are the future. Remember that one day we will run out of oil. Which is why people and oil companies must stop acting stupid and develop this technology already, and make it affordable. Or else there will be enormous problems in the world, much worse ones than today. I'm talking about the next great depression, and it could be a long one if we don't have electric cars by then.
Why do people get impressed when an electric car goes fast (this one doesn't even do that, it just gets up quicker). Pump enough juice through an electric motor and it'll go faster than a combustion engine. Big deal. You still have to deal with the fact that the technology is stupidly expensive, recharging takes hours (and adds a HELL of a lot of expense to your electricity bill, I'd bet more than a tank of gas) and it has shorter range.

No thanks, give me a smog-emitting cancer-mobile. I'll die with a grin on my face.

Quote from shiny_red_cobra :You're right about that. Electric cars are quiet, and I know I will miss the sound of a roaring engine too, but they are the future. Remember that one day we will run out of oil. Which is why people and oil companies must stop acting stupid and develop this technology already, and make it affordable. Or else there will be enormous problems in the world, much worse ones than today. I'm talking about the next great depression, and it could be a long one if we don't have electric cars by then.

Where in the heck did you come to that conclusion? Electric cars won't shorten a depression. The technology (batteries themselves) might become affordable 10 years down the road, but the actual energy you need to keep them charged won't be. Electricty is not cheap, NOW. In a depression it will only be more expensive (in the relative sense). Producing large amounts of electricity needed to power homes is already a problem. Now you're saying we have to migrate to electric cars and at least double or triple the burden on the system? Electric cars are not the future, they are old news. They had their chance 10 years ago and didn't catch on because of a simple matter of logistics. You can't use the power grid to power cars in addition to homes and businesses. It will not happen on a large scale unless the laws of physics suddenly disappear.
#18 - Jakg
Quote from pb32000 :That's all well and good but I'd rather be riding Jack's scooter than be seen in an electric car - wait, that's a close one, but still the torque of electric motors doesn't win over the sound of an internal combustion engine for me. Give me the supercharged Atom any day

You love the sound of my bike! :P
Quote from breadfan :I've seen a documentary about an electric car, which was intended to outrun any petrol propelled sports car. OK, it had 8(!) wheels, was huge and heavy, but it did some 220-240mph. Nevermind that Veyron does 253mph. Anyway, they were all the time proudly claiming, that it was superior to any sportscar in acceleration and top speed (and even if it were), they only did one lap on an oval test track. I think that any car (not even a sports car) would last longer

It was larger than a "minivan" and VERY expensive. They proudly stated that it was better after showing that it went quick in a straight line - i think that makes the Thrust SSC the best "car" in the world!
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :but they are the future

Nah, they are too environmentally unfriendly - probably much worse for Earth in the long run
Quote :Remember that one day we will run out of oil. Which is why people and oil companies must stop acting stupid and develop this technology already, and make it affordable. Or else there will be enormous problems in the world, much worse ones than today. I'm talking about the next great depression, and it could be a long one if we don't have electric cars by then.

Only if batteries become nice things (not in our lifetimes), and if the energy is generated via green methods - fusion or fission once we sort out the waste and heat/pressure problems. Wind power, solar power and tidal power are crap and not that good for the environment either, and heat-pipes into the earth just can't support a national grid (though they are quite good for heating a small community).

Jack - a moped with a rev-counter!!!!
#20 - Jakg
Quote from tristancliffe :Jack - a moped with a rev-counter!!!!

And a KM/h speedo! And 3 buttons! None of which work!

Oh god i love my bike
Quote from pb32000 :That's all well and good but I'd rather be riding Jack's scooter than be seen in an electric car - wait, that's a close one, but still the torque of electric motors doesn't win over the sound of an internal combustion engine for me. Give me the supercharged Atom any day

I'll probably be flamed for saying this but I prefer the electric car's hiss (no pun intended ) over the combustion engine's artillery blast. The giant sound of 43 cars in one nascar race i attended made me deaf (no kidding).

For people who listen to heavy metal rock, they'll have no problem and will possible like it. But for me I'd like to keep my brain from hemorrhaging thxs u very much.

Right now the battery doesnt last too long, but hey, that means more pit stops (replacing batteries)

Quote from MAGGOT :Why do people get impressed when an electric car goes fast (this one doesn't even do that, it just gets up quicker). Pump enough juice through an electric motor and it'll go faster than a combustion engine. Big deal. You still have to deal with the fact that the technology is stupidly expensive, recharging takes hours (and adds a HELL of a lot of expense to your electricity bill, I'd bet more than a tank of gas) and it has shorter range.

I think most of us has believed the myth that oil companies created that electric cars cannot go fast. In fact i asked my entire class and they all dont believe me that electric cars OF ANY KIND can go faster then 20 mph -_-.

Currently cars in europe don't polute the air very much because they are so tiny (i saw one on the road today the camry was like 3 times bigger think of that compared to those giant SUVs if that thing got into an accident the car would be completely pancaked ). It's the cars in the American continents (do we really need a hummer? NOOOOO!!!!)

As far as racing's concerned. The racing emission is not as great as the emission from those giant SUVs and I highly doubt that people are interested in a electric car sports car series (Venturi Fetish FTW!!!)

Quote from MAGGOT :You still have to deal with the fact that the technology is stupidly expensive, recharging takes hours (and adds a HELL of a lot of expense to your electricity bill, I'd bet more than a tank of gas) and it has shorter range.

You sir need to watch this:

In fact the GM company actually developed a cheap way of producing and selling electric cars. Then they realized, oh crap this is actually making money LETS KILL IT. Do you see EV1s on the street anymore??? NOOO!!!!
Maggot I'm not saying electric car technology would shorten a depression, I think you misundertood me. I meant that electric car technology will AVOID a depression. Imagine we don't have them by the time we run out of oil. What's going to happen? How will people go to work? How will you go out and buy food? Never mind that, how will food get from the farms to the stores? How will any other products get from China to your local department store? Do you understand what I'm saying? I'm saying that the day we run out of oil there will be a total collapse of the industrial system because it is totally based on transportation. Unless we do something about it now, we will enter into a depression similar to the one in the early 1930s.
In the early 1930s they thought we had enough oil for 30 or 40 years. Today we think we have enough oil for 30 or 40 years. In the 1970s they thought we had enough oil for about 20 years.

The thing is, nobody really knows. And to make electric cars work, we'd need a hell of a lot of power stations, most of which burn coal or oil.
Yea I'll agree with you there, we don't know how much oil we have left, especially with the new oil developments in Alberta.

About power stations, why doesn't anybody ever mention nuclear power? It's as clean as it gets, and we get 50% of our energy from it (here in Ontario at least). Don't you think the oil companies can get into nuclear energy production? When the time comes, it's very possible since I'm sure they can afford to build nuclear reactors.
Quote from Wiki information : High performance X1 electric race car humiliates Ferrari and Porche both off the line and in a 1/4 mile.

My dads friends VW beetle can too, big deal.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG