The online racing simulator
Force feedback settings myths?
I have read many people's opinions on what the "best" force feedback settings for live for speed. I think the following settings are generally accepted as being best:

(in the windows control panel)
Overall Effect Strength: 100% (or less if you want)
Spring Effect Strength: 0%
Damper Effect Strength: 0%

There seems to be differences in what people use for "enable centre spring", some people use off, some use on, but set the strength to zero. Is it a myth that you should switch it on and set the strength to zero?

In game, people generally have force set somewhere between 30-100, but I've seen people go for 101% or 98% and similar. Is it a myth that it's best to set lfs ff strength to some similar odd number?

I've played around with centre spring and 101% settings, with my red MOMO, and can't really tell any differences. Maybe that gives me my answer, but does anyone have an opinion on these possible myths? If you can feel a difference, then in what car and doing what?

Ed
Quote from ted209 :
There seems to be differences in what people use for "enable centre spring", some people use off, some use on, but set the strength to zero. Is it a myth that you should switch it on and set the strength to zero?

I've been driving with the Centre spring set to on/0% for much longer time than off - but I didn't notice any difference.

Quote from ted209 :
In game, people generally have force set somewhere between 30-100, but I've seen people go for 101% or 98% and similar. Is it a myth that it's best to set lfs ff strength to some similar odd number?

Used to have this set to 100% until I read about the 101% thingy only few months ago - and nope, haven't noticed any difference here either.

Ps. I've just been driving - and I do drive quiet a bit - but not really done specific tests. As far as I'm concerned, the settings are a myth - difference isn't big enough to matter. Haven't been for me at least.
LFS doesn't use spring and damper ffb effects at all, so they're best left at zero. Centering spring should be enabled and zero for it to not mask any of the feedback LFS gives.
if you use a logitech g25 wheel it is better to set the feedback strength in windows to 101%, because the wheel reacts more linear with this setting.

in game it depends on how much you wanna work the wheel and what force seems realistic to you. the cars all handle different and have different weights, this is changing the feedback experience aswell.

happy racing,
peace mo
The 101%/103% setting should only have a noticeable effect around the straight ahead position (that effect being the removal of the driver enforced soft spot, which was added to limit the fast left/right shaking syndrome).
#6 - Jakg
i have LFS set to 115% and Windows set to 101%, it feels so good i don't want to change
^ You're mainly racing FWD cars, no? They usually have weaker centering forces, allowing for higher overall FFB. Personally I leave it at 40% (RWD) to 60% (FWD) in LFS. Yes, higher FFB does make the little bumps stand out more, but the other forces seem to max out too fast then, IMO.

Anyhow, with the G25 I actually started feeling the track bumps on FE for the first time, so it owns either way
question I sent to LFS Tech a while back
"Specifically , are the spring effects /damper effects /centering spring controlled in anyway by LFS? What should the values be set at ?

Quote from LFS Tech :Reply from LFS Tech

Quote" Hello,
These settings in your wheel drivers are not set in any way by LFS. Spring, damper and centering spring should all be set to zero and force strength to 100%. This will give LFS full control, using only the "constant force" effect.

Thanks"

I also presume that 'enable centering spring' should not be ticked?

Quote from LFS Tech :quote "The answer is yes "

#9 - Jakg
atm mainly the LX6 atm, but most track time with the FXO

In fact last night with the LX6 on WE1R, and on the uphill corner (90°) i could actually feel the bumps (that i didn't even know where there before). /me hugs G25
Quote from Jakg :i have LFS set to 115% and Windows set to 101%, it feels so good i don't want to change

My G25 would gives me totally grazy feedback with that high ffb in LFS. Could you please check http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=25252 and tell me if you don't get anything like what I describe in that thread?
#11 - Jakg
Mine feels really light though - and i dont exactly have mega muscles
103% profiler / 60% in LFS, strong enough for me - any stronger and I's stort fighting the motors rather than having them provide my fingertips with info.
Another thing to remember with the DFP is it has 60% FFB mode and 100% FFB mode, you can toggle between the two by holding Select, R3 and the Left shifter paddle, the left LED will flash once for 60% mode and twice for 100% mode.
103% profiler , 50% in LFS. (G25)

The upper part of my G25 case warms a little bit, is it normal? I think it is, but I ask just in case.
Yeah it's normal.
So...
So, what I've garnered from this thread is that IN GENERAL, having my WINDOWS settings set to the following will be the most realistic:

Overall: 101%
Spring: 0%
Damper: 0%

Centering Spring: Enabled
Strength: 0%

IS THIS CORRECT?
Basically, yes
Ok
Cool... what about in-game? What would u recommend? 100%? I have a G25...
Sorry to take the thread a little off topic but i have an old Microsoft FF sidewinder, in my software tool theres 3 options i have ticked .

Centering force : HIGH
Force feedback : High
Lock force to front and back wheels : True

Is this the correct setup for my wheel or does it not matter with this old thing ?
Set centering force to "none", if possible. It is only required for games that don't support FFB.

No idea what the third setting means.
Err, the third option actually says 'map front-back forces to wheel' and you want it unchecked.

Force feedback settings myths?
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG