The online racing simulator
Making fun for a newb
(25 posts, started )
Making fun for a newb
Hello, I bought s2 yesterday and i don't know how i am starting to play s2. I have played a while in citydrivings and i wanna do something else too, I went to searching some real racing server but nothing interesting found.. I wanna race in a real lfs racing competition, But i think im not ready yet and good enough.. So what I do? Practise all the time in singleplayer or how i can get enthusiastic about racing.. Just keep playing in those small racing servers then come in the bigger race?

-Sry my bad english
Hmm.. And with what car i should start to train?
#3 - filur
Hi!

There's not really any one car that's good to start with, since public server races are scattered over every track and most every car. There are certain combinations that are more popular than others, though.

I wouldn't start with the FO8 or BF1.

The best way to get acquainted with online racing is to join servers that are populated with just a few drivers. Full servers are chaotic already, and when you add uncertainty and panic into the mix, you get people screaming N00B! and banning. You should try smaller servers and just try to stay clean and give room when you're under the blue flag. In no time you should be up to speed. :]
Rule #1: Keep 100 m safety distance to servers with Oval and AS National.
Common sense should tell you this. Practice with the slower cars. There's got to be some servers out there that run XFG/XRG or UF1.
It's easier to get used to driving on these cars because a little mistake is easily corrected and isn't likely to end several people's race

Playing on a server will show you how much you're improving with new pb lap times, and if someone else joins you can warn them you're a newb and just learning the ropes.

By the time you're keeping up with the pack in these cars you'll probably be ready to start with the more powerful ones. The RB4/FXO are easier to drive than the XRT, so that'd be my next step.
Quote from Dajmin :Common sense should tell you this. Practice with the slower cars. There's got to be some servers out there that run XFG/XRG or UF1.
It's easier to get used to driving on these cars because a little mistake is easily corrected and isn't likely to end several people's race

Playing on a server will show you how much you're improving with new pb lap times, and if someone else joins you can warn them you're a newb and just learning the ropes.

By the time you're keeping up with the pack in these cars you'll probably be ready to start with the more powerful ones. The RB4/FXO are easier to drive than the XRT, so that'd be my next step.

I have drove with xfg&xrt in demo 1year.. so now i go to fz50 and cars like that?
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :I have drove with xfg&xrt in demo 1year.. so now i go to fz50 and cars like that?

Why immediately faster cars. How about first testing the known cars on the new tracks. I recommend the CTRA servers for that as they will come back next month probably. Here a sort of career mode is provided with gradually moving to better cars and getting a lot of racing under your belt. Also the track rotation i find a big plus.
Quote from SpikeyMarcoD :Why immediately faster cars. How about first testing the known cars on the new tracks. I recommend the CTRA servers for that as they will come back next month probably. Here a sort of career mode is provided with gradually moving to better cars and getting a lot of racing under your belt. Also the track rotation i find a big plus.

Yea you are right.. I wanna do something exciting too.. like getting in team and design something, skins or whatever :P I love using photoshop <3
Until CTRA starts up again, theres not much public organised racing in the slower cars.

Conedodgers 3 is quite fun in the mini-GTRs, although the racing can get a bit.... frantic, shall we say.
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :I have drove with xfg&xrt in demo 1year.. so now i go to fz50 and cars like that?

FZ50 is not very popular... simply because it drives like shit.

I'd say FOX @ Aston Club could be good, just first learn it in single player. It's very popular combo meaning you can play it online very day and night.
#12 - JTbo
Things to practise as a newbie:
-Patience
-Car control (knowing where limit is and ability to keep car under control in all racing situations, meaning understanding that speed when racing close to other car is not same as when you hotlap)
-Patience
-Racing lines and rules part considering racing line
-Patience
-Understanding that race is lost in 1st corner, but never won
-Did I mention Patience?

Now why there is patience mentioned so many times is that it is what helps you learn and win races.

Take autocross arena and make small slalom track from cones, start practising car control and handling there, slide a bit and come familiar to how car reacts, this will teach you skills you need when avoiding spinning cars or some other situation you come up when racing.

Then when you can keep car under control, start going to servers, be friendly and you can even say that you are new, when racing keep distance in first runs and don't even try to win, just race along and see how other brake etc, just avoid accidents at all cost.
You will find some nice guys from servers and some will teach you more, help improve times etc.

Well, there is a start I would recommend
Learn the TBO class and most cars will follow soon after, cars I would avoid right away are the FWD GTR cars (UFR/XFR) purely because it takes a decent amount of control to keep them on 4 wheels and to keep the tyres healthy. The FOX is another car I would try to avoid unless you want to race it competitively in a league, more and more beginner drivers opt for this car and then never progress to anything else.

Try to avoid the overly packed servers, this might sound like silly advice (the more the merrier - or whatever saying is) but you'll find nothing but careless and overly aggressive racing in there, and yes even these licensed servers. Practice racing with some of the faster guys too on their servers as they usually run fun and challenging combos and help people out too.

Practice, watch world record replays, ask questions, ask nicely for setups, be friendly, and have fun!

http://setupfield.teaminferno.hu/
http://www.lfsworld.net
If you have a fair amount of miles in the XRT at Blackwood from your demo days, there might still be slots free for the next ATC 60 Lap GP using the TBO class cars, info here - http://www.lfsforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=38.
Practice, practice and then some more practice.
Only way to learn is to drive. Better to learn the basic control of the cars (so you can keep it in control most of the time) in offline though. Once you have that sorted you can go online and practice the more difficult part..
Quote from Rooble : The FOX is another car I would try to avoid unless you want to race it competitively in a league, more and more beginner drivers opt for this car and then never progress to anything else.

Omg! That is so true! Since I've bought S2 I've never raced anything else than FOX. (I did like 900 laps with the FOX on BL1, on second place its 20 laps with the BF1 )

I have no idea what other car i should choose now. I'm tired of FOX atm
Quote from Spacid :I have no idea what other car i should choose now.

Dear God, just step away from your boring comfort zone and go experiment.
As i remember, the first few weeks of my S2 I spent in south city, the best place for a newbie imo, as it taught me how to stay on the road and not to touch the barriers. The car choice isn't crucial there, the less grip the car has the harder it is to keep it from bouncing off the walls.
That is true, ive been playing with the FOX since I got S2(which was this week)... ive managed to get within 4 seconds of the WR on my favorite track Blackwood. Thats after 300 something laps heh.

I have such a hard time driving any of the non formula cars now! They seem so slow and they have a hard time getting the same grip that the formulas do. Oh well, gotta expirement some more
Okay, Thank you.. I will try with fox.. So many posts in this thread.. :P Ty
FOX is not good idea, since u will:
1. be slow coz it handels corners really well coz of downforce
2. u will get too used on open wheel and will lose felling for normal cars and it will be hard to judge where handling limiths actualy are.
U drove dome for quite some time , so try similar cars first
Quote from blackcarmafia :FOX is not good idea, since u will:
1. be slow coz it handels corners really well coz of downforce
2. u will get too used on open wheel and will lose felling for normal cars and it will be hard to judge where handling limiths actualy are.
U drove dome for quite some time , so try similar cars first

Heh, I get used to fxo I am driving it everyday I would go in GTR racing servers if i would saw server with racers on..
Online at: ノマedline ノマacing 2

We've lost another one :sadbanana
In short..
Start off slow (less powerful cars)
Learn all the new Tracks (do this in the cars you already know)
Learn the new cars in Tracks you already know (Black Wood?)
Be careful of actual racers (faster cars)
Most importantly
HAVE FUN
Quote from Rooble :Online at: ノマedline ノマacing 2

We've lost another one :sadbanana

HAHAHAHA

Making fun for a newb
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG