The online racing simulator
Maximum fuel allowed.
(30 posts, started )

Poll : On a mandatory pit stop race, what do you do?

Closed since :
Run full race distance fuel to cheat LFS so you can do 1 second pit stops?
Or race fuel having to pit to refuel for your mandatory stop?
Maximum fuel allowed.
I was thinking of a idea about a option for Maximum Fuel Allowed. This would only be a option for hosting a server. Not mandatory.

Let's say the server wanted to have X amount of pit stops during 25 laps. (Yes I know it's short, but it's a example) Now if the admin sets the Maximum Fuel a driver could put in say no more 8-9 laps worth. So each driver could put in no more fuel then 9 laps worth, they could put less but no more. So they would have to pit to refuel.

I like racing and having to do a pit stop. I do find it annoying having people fill max fuel, do a pretty much stop go and race again.

This would force pits stops to take on fuel.

Just a idea.
Nah. -1

This would take away from the realism. One of the reasons for having pitstops is so people can use strategy to their advantage. This would take away from that somewhat.
You would still have strat, you'd just adjust it. You'd have to work your strat in to the limits given. There is no strat in having a full tank just pitting as a stop/go with a 1 second pit stop. Thats not realism. Real Life leagues having to changes tires during a race F1, from Hard, to Soft mandatory.

Let's say I set a race for 30 laps, but limit no more then 20 laps of fuel in the tank. You may have someone run 19 laps, pit to get 11 more laps of fuel. Or may have some pit at lap 11, to put 19 laps of fuel in. Or, pit at 15, to put in 15 more laps of fuel. In all three cases the person has to pit, and has to put fuel in.

This isn't doing the lame "time shift" where fuel is burned faster then normal to simulate. Fuel is burning the correct duration, but limited how much you can have total.

And this would be a server option not mandatory. This would make forced pit stops mean something, not just in name only.
+1 to this idea!
+1 , good idea !!
-1 for fuel limiting.

I would like to be ability to make it so tyres have to be changed. IMO this more reflects reality. In races where the cars can make the full race with no re-fuelling do sometimes not refuel but simply pit for new tyres.
-1 for fuel limiting...

IF you do want more 'mandatory' pitstops by limiting the fuel, why not have an option to 2 mandatory pitstops (which is already suggested and needs no new topic)
-1 Sorry don't like the idea!
#9 - herki
I do like the idea exactly for OP's reasons.
So +1 from me.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :-1 for fuel limiting...

IF you do want more 'mandatory' pitstops by limiting the fuel, why not have an option to 2 mandatory pitstops (which is already suggested and needs no new topic)

That still wouldn't stop what I consider cheating. You have driver 1 needing to refuel at his pit stops. Yet driver 2, always put in enough fuel to finish the race even with out a pit stop. Now pit stops in LFS are by the numbers and can be slow. So driver 2 will always get out of the pits faster because they are spending 1 second stop in there pit stall. This is realistic? Realistic for a stop/go penalty not for a pit stop.

For me personally I never put in race distance fuel, even with a mandatory pit stops. I find it unsportsmanlike doing that, when others are using a pit stop as a actual stop.
Quote from Timberwulf :-1

I think it's better to regulate how many times you have to make a pitstop than to limit the fuel.

That still doesn't stop people from putting full race full and doing 1 second stops! Doesn't matter if it is 1 stop or 2. When you are putting in enough fuel to finish the race anyway.

I'm coming to the conclusion everyone against it is doing exactly that, putting in full race fuel, and doing 1 second stops...

And this would be a option for admins to use, not something that is on all the time.
Quote from neglouseight :
I'm coming to the conclusion everyone against it is doing exactly that, putting in full race fuel, and doing 1 second stops...

Heh of course they do, it's a race.

I sort of like this idea. Pit-stop races (shorter ones) are rather futile at the moment. At least with this limited system you have to think about what you're going to do. I would like a "add X%" option in the fuel menu too, though. So I'm not fiddling around if I change my mind and stop earlier.
-1 from me
sorry,

-1 for me
+1. if i dont like it, i just wont join that server/league .
Sorry for the typo in the poll. :/

It says: Run fuel race distance fuel to cheat LFS so you can do 1 second pit stops?

It should say:
Run full race distance fuel to cheat LFS so you can do 1 second pit stops?
I am not sure what to think about this suggestion.

But anyway to battle those half second pit stops we should have to have tyre change as mandatory, like in DTM.
Quote from geeman1 :I am not sure what to think about this suggestion.

But anyway to battle those half second pit stops we should have to have tyre change as mandatory, like in DTM.

Yes even having to change tires on a stop would be better. Then you'd know at least they have to have a pit stop. Because in my eyes it is cheating when someone has a 1 second to a half second pit stop. When someone else is actually pitting to refuel. The full fuel load driver will always leave the pits first. Because they are basically just driving through the pits for no reason.

That is bending the rules to cheat in my mind. Anyone that doesn't think so, is bending the rules when racing and makes me not want to compete against them.
+1 for your idea. I can imagine these sort of artificial restrictions turning up in real racing, so why not LFS.

But I have to admit I tend to fill up for the race and make pit stops the same way I make toll booth stops.
As an option, yes.
Quote from neglouseight :That still wouldn't stop what I consider cheating. You have driver 1 needing to refuel at his pit stops. Yet driver 2, always put in enough fuel to finish the race even with out a pit stop. Now pit stops in LFS are by the numbers and can be slow. So driver 2 will always get out of the pits faster because they are spending 1 second stop in there pit stall. This is realistic? Realistic for a stop/go penalty not for a pit stop.

For me personally I never put in race distance fuel, even with a mandatory pit stops. I find it unsportsmanlike doing that, when others are using a pit stop as a actual stop.

If I drive FZR @ AS national, I NEED new tyres...

anyways... you could make changing tyres mandatory then... maybe.

EDIT: 999
+1 for changing tyres mandatory (at least 2)
-1 for limiting fuel
I think both, mandatory tire change and limited fuel as server side options, would be nice additions to LFS. And also the fill-up-to-x-%-option would be cool.
Quote from Linsen :And also the fill-up-to-x-%-option would be cool.

We already have that
It's "Add X%" that we (well I) want.
#25 - FL!P
Quote from neglouseight :That still wouldn't stop what I consider cheating.

Well, I don't see it as cheating. In a long race, where this really matters, having the fuel for the whole race is a disadvantage that can cost you a few seconds per lap compared to someone on a two stops strategy. So it really is a strategy decision.

Besides, if your car gets damaged, your pit stop will be nearly as long as refuelling, so you'll have lost the short pit stop advantage and you'll still have the disadvantage of running on a full tank. Again, strategy decision.

So -1 for me, sorry.

Update: BTW, the poll misses the "It depends" option. That's what I'd have chosen. Sometimes I go with the fuel for the whole race, sometimes I don't.

Maximum fuel allowed.
(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG