The online racing simulator
What has Bernie been smoking
(44 posts, started )
Quote from Mustafur :USGP should be at Infineon raceway. LS is too short..

Sears Point would need some changes, but it would be great. F1 cars + carousel =

Quote :and i think AUSGP should be at Bathurst!

Totally unworkable. Too narrow, surrounded with concrete (not armco, not steel and foam energy reduction, concrete) walls, No runoff, probably inadequate pits. No overtaking there at all other than outbraking at 2 or 3 corners.

V8s there is pushing it. F1 there, you have been smoking the same stuff as Bernie.

With the exception of going back to Adelaide or going to Surfer's (good luck trying to get it out of CCWS hands), there are no capable venues for F1 in Australia. I wouldn't particularly miss the Aussie GP TBH.
Quote from duke_toaster :Sears Point would need some changes, but it would be great. F1 cars + carousel =

Totally unworkable. Too narrow, surrounded with concrete (not armco, not steel and foam energy reduction, concrete) walls, No runoff, probably inadequate pits. No overtaking there at all other than outbraking at 2 or 3 corners.

V8s there is pushing it. F1 there, you have been smoking the same stuff as Bernie.

With the exception of going back to Adelaide or going to Surfer's (good luck trying to get it out of CCWS hands), there are no capable venues for F1 in Australia. I wouldn't particularly miss the Aussie GP TBH.

Thats because you have the luxury of seeing many Gp's within a days drive ( ok ok i really dont know much about europe but its a pissy small place compared to Australia)

Keep up that attitude and F1 will be a lovely provincial little race series...

Kind of like how the Americans have world titles only in America and only played by Americans You could model F1 of the World Series Baseball.....
Quote from RobbyMac :At which point it will stop becoming a race and start becoming a show.

Which F1 isn't, right?

Anyway, watching the USGP live yesterday, i have to admit, the stands were like half empty, in which place in the world do you see that happening?
Quote from richo :Thats because you have the luxury of seeing many Gp's within a days drive ( ok ok i really dont know much about europe but its a pissy small place compared to Australia)

Oceania has a smaller land mass than Europe. Did I mention the population density as well?

Quote :Keep up that attitude and F1 will be a lovely provincial little race series...

It would cut costs though. The FIA have a regulation that a world championship must visit 3 continents - F1 does all of them, minus africa. If Albert Park was in Europe it wouldn't have a future on the calendar. Bear in mind time zones screwing it up for most of the F1 fan base (Europe, South America) unless it gets run at 7AM (I'd like to see that, it would be for European TV a Saturday evening, but I doubt that would happen due to resistance from some groups.). Travel costs would be helped if they added a race in New Zealand ... Taupo?

Quote :Kind of like how the Americans have world titles only in America

Eh ... Toronto Blue Jays? Montreal Expos - who played some games in Puerto Rico?

Quote :and only played by Americans

Daisuke Matsuzaka amongst many Japanese players, a German, several Cubans, some Taiwanese, some Venezuelans, Indonesians ...

Quote :You could model F1 of the World Series Baseball.....

I never suggested running all the season in Europe

The Aussie GP should be moved to a better track, be ran at 7AM and probably complemented by a race in New Zealand.

RE Half empty stands in Indy : Bear in mind that the circuit uses only a small part of the oval, the main straight was full. Also, it has the added TV timings factor.
is leguna seca too thin to race F1?
Quote from m.odonoghue :is leguna seca too thin to race F1?

It's waaaaaaaay too narrow and waaaaaaaaay too short.
no its not!
I have even better suggestion: Sebring. Survival of the bumps!
Quote from deggis :I have even better suggestion: Sebring. Survival of the bumps!

Revival of the concrete walls near the track (IIRC)!

Sears Point please. Would make a great race, return of the Carousel!
Laguna Seca would be a good location, t1 would make for some passing. The track would need to be modified to make it safer, which would likely ruin it.
Quote from sweetreid :Laguna Seca would be a good location, t1 would make for some passing. The track would need to be modified to make it safer, which would likely ruin it.

Those cars would NEVER get down the Corkscrew...
#37 - DeKo
Quote from bbman :Those cars would NEVER get down the Corkscrew...

they would manage fine, CART or whatever its called race there all the time and are fine, and toyota put an f1 car round last year and set a new lap record without really trying
Quote from bbman :Those cars would NEVER get down the Corkscrew...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=I_bWOdY6mbU

But let's leave Lagunca Seca alone, I really don't want to see Mr. Tilke to touch it with his magical skills to turn it to total shit.

DeKo: Nowadays it's called Champ Car, CART doesn't exist anymore.
Quote from Taavi(EST) :Which F1 isn't, right?

Anyway, watching the USGP live yesterday, i have to admit, the stands were like half empty, in which place in the world do you see that happening?

The stands at Indy are gigantic. This year had probably the biggest single-day turnout of any GP except Barcelona, but they're spread out over much bigger stands than at other tracks. Everyone can spread out rather than having to be shoulder-to-shoulder.
Indy is the largest sports venue in the world, so you can forgive them if they don't fill it up
Sadly they flattened the corkscrew, so thats no problem now, however most good* us tracks (and there are many) are built for slower cars (touring cars, FOX, GT3), it would become very boring races. Also it would be very dangeorus.
On the other hand pushing the focus of the race to qualifying (now that qualifying realy is entertaining) they could race on almost any track (shrink the tank, give them much softer tyres and cut the race distance in half). I would love to see F1 on laguna seca, mid ohio, road america, watkins glen or lime rock.

*Good means purpose built road course, not converted airfield, street track or oval infield.
Quote from Gunn :I believe that Indy is the only US circuit that has the facilities to host an F1 Grand Prix.

Bingo.

Quote from niall09 :Laguna seca is good, but it seems very short. And also, would the "corkscrew" chicane be very dangerous for F1 cars?

I am a bit biased, but probably the best permanent road circuit for F1 cars in America would have to be Road America. It has two long sections, and the corners are for the most part straight out of a textbook. The only downside is that Road America can only handle about 100,000 people.
Quote from jayhawk :Bingo.I am a bit biased, but probably the best permanent road circuit for F1 cars in America would have to be Road America. It has two long sections, and the corners are for the most part straight out of a textbook. The only downside is that Road America can only handle about 100,000 people.

I agree, Road America is a fantastic circuit. The facilities and safety could be built up to F1 standards, but it would be difficult to do without changing the character of the circuit. So I wouldn't want it done unless they could keep the circuit's character intact.

But it's in too remote a location I think anyway, as far roads to and from the nearest international airport. And commercial infrastructure in the immediate area (hotels, restaurants, gas stations etc.) couldn't handle an F1-size crowd.
What about a return to Caeser's Palace? They had a car park circuit there in the 80's it was anticlockwise and like a lap full of turn 8s.

What has Bernie been smoking
(44 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG