The online racing simulator
Power settings in Windows
(35 posts, started )
When I am playing, the power-off mode comes on, which is quite annoying given that it has a tendency to do so while I am cornering.

Can the profile be modified to accommodate the power settings in Windows and prevent powering off of displays and the like?

This is the ONLY game I have which causes a powering off of my display while playing, at the scheduled time.

Cheers.
Goto Windows Control Panel>Power Options and set them like this
Attached images
power.JPG
Quote from KMSpeed :Goto Windows Control Panel>Power Options and set them like this

Why do I have to do that?

I can just change my display options setting for when I power it off but I have a nice, expensive display and I am not inclined to change the power settings there and forget about it, or have to change it all the time that I play this sim.

No other game I have allows the display to turn off because of improper profiles, even the really old stuff from several years ago.

There has to be a simple setting change somewhere in the manner which windows reads the game.
Type or move the mouse every few minutes then.

What type of monitor is it?
And what exactly are you afraid of doing?
Profiles are computer based, it won't change anything on the monitor.
I had my monitor shut off while I was playing once (can't recall which game, obviously it didn't involve the kb much). It also happened once or twice, years ago, while I was watching a video and didn't touch the kb or mouse for a while. It pissed me off. I changed my power options so it won't happen again. No real hassle as far as I'm concerned.

Now if I need to leave the PC on while I'm away for a while (e.g. when it's downloading), I turn off my monitor the old-fashioned way: with the power switch. Simple really Sorry if I'm missing something but was this really worth a thread?
#6 - Slopi
Quote :Now if I need to leave the PC on while I'm away for a while (e.g. when it's downloading), I turn off my monitor the old-fashioned way: with the power switch. Simple really Sorry if I'm missing something but was this really worth a thread?

+1
#7 - Gunn
I just switch off my monitor when I leave the room too. Instant power saving and screen protection using zero resources.
With all due respect, this is an IMPROVEMENT SUGGESTIONS section and I am suggesting an improvement. If you physically turn off your display, congratulations, I am glad that works for you, but that is not the point.

Whether I choose to have my power profile, which works flawlessly in every other application, setup a certain way or not has nothing to do with the discussion.

I am simply asking if the application (in this case, LFS) can be improved by allowing appropriate feedback (i.e. something from the wheel or whatever else that is needed) to be read by the system, thereby preventing the monitor powering off.

I have a Dell 2407 widescreen display.

The last thing someone who is driving in the middle of a race should have to do is reach over and move a mouse or press a button on the keyboard.

I can't imagine anyone who uses a wheel/pedals actively thinking about doing this while they are concentrating on proper line and modulating acceleration/braking in this sim.

Like I said, games and sims from several years ago work fine and don't show any inkling of an issue here. Therefore it is likely a relatively minor item.

Using Vista Ultimate. My system is on 24/7, my display is not.
Quote from Sazarius :
Using Vista Ultimate. My system is on 24/7, my display is not.

Problem solved - Don't use vista!
With equal respect, maybe if you gave people the full story (e.g. little details like your OS - what you describe doesn't happen to me in WinXP) in your first post you would have received different responses There aren't any psychics here (except maybe for Lerts).
First its not LFS issue at all.
Vista should simply recogniye that CPU,ram,HDD,graphic card is used and not moving the PC to any powersaving mode.

This doesnt happen in XP so I would blame Vista for that....it really makes me confused that Vista is juts piece of crap software with so many bugs.

Sorry but this is useless improvement suggestion.I dont get it why everybody should adjust to Microsoft Vista crap.They should wake up and fix their crap OS.

Call Microsoft helpline and expect their BS its not their fault.
And sorry I cant help you.
Naturally, since every other application I have runs perfectly fine under Vista, except for LFS regarding power management, it is obviously a Vista issue and cannot possibly be the way LFS is coded.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Now if there are any coders for LFS who are reading this and have some REAL input, please feel free to add and let me know if there is anything regarding this that can be done. If not, it's understood.

For Hankstar, I expected responses from people who had an actual input on the game development vis-a-vis discussions related to improvements.

I did not expect to be bashed for using power settings on my system nor for my choice of operating system. I guess the fact that I PAID for this sim means jack squat in the grand scheme of things.
Quote from Sazarius :Naturally, since every other application I have runs perfectly fine under Vista, except for LFS regarding power management, it is obviously a Vista issue and cannot possibly be the way LFS is coded.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Now if there are any coders for LFS who are reading this and have some REAL input, please feel free to add and let me know if there is anything regarding this that can be done. If not, it's understood.

For Hankstar, I expected responses from people who had an actual input on the game development vis-a-vis discussions related to improvements.

I did not expect to be bashed for using power settings on my system nor for my choice of operating system. I guess the fact that I PAID for this sim means jack squat in the grand scheme of things.

I have exactly the same issue, Vista Ultimate too, and the thing is annoying. If ones setup the powermanagement to turn off the monitor is to save energy and extend the life of the monitor. And LFS is the ONLY software that does this, it is not recognized by Vista as a program that DEMANDS the computer to cancel its power management policies.

Im running it with administrative priviledges, and it i still goes black. It is a fault of LFS no matter what you say, again, because NO OTHER PROGRAM, heck NOT ANY OTHER GAME (I have tested) have this problem.

LFS should tell the OS that the input of a gamepad or wheel is as important as an entry on the keyb or mouse. THAT WOULD SOLVE THE PROBLEM.
#14 - Gunn
Quote from Sazarius :

Bashed? Turning all of that background crap off can only do you a favour when it comes to gaming. As for the o/s, people are bashing Vista for what it is, not you for using it.
Having just had my screensaver kick in mid-race, I'm also having the same problem, also running Vista. Regardless of who's "fault" it is, as more people move over to Vista, this will become a bigger problem with more people complaining.

In case it's useful, I did some testing. The following was used for all:
LFS Version 0.5X9, Vista Home Premium, using a DFP - i.e. no mouse or keyboard activity.

After a bit of testing, it happens in the following scenarios:
running in window mode, but maximised
running in window mode, but maximised, in Windows XP compatibility mode

It doesn't happen in the following scenario:
running in full screen mode
running in full screen mode, in Windows XP compatibility mode

In short, it appears that running LFS in full screen is fine, but running it windowed means the screensaver will kick in.
Quote from Christofire :In short, it appears that running LFS in full screen is fine, but running it windowed means the screensaver will kick in.

Not in my case, no matter if Im in a window or full screen, the game is not recognized by Vista like a program that should override the entry of screensaver or monitor off.

I have simply disabled this options, but its LFS fault without a doubt. No other program or game behaves in this way. I guess one reason is that it doesnt "install" anything.
#17 - SamH
Moved from Improvement Suggestions to Bugs - Program.

I'm *not* absolutely sure that this is where it should be, but I've moved it because the problem is in some way programmatical and because it's causing the LFS experience to be negatively impacted.

On this basis, I've opted to treat the thread as a bug report, though I have no idea if it's within the LFS or Vista OS remit (or even Logitech/ATI/nVidia) to resolve.
Yes, I have a scheduled backup set to run at certain times if my pc is idle - when I play lfs windows xp seems to think my computer is idle. It is annoying.
Quote from SamH :On this basis, I've opted to treat the thread as a bug report, though I have no idea if it's within the LFS or Vista OS remit (or even Logitech/ATI/nVidia) to resolve.

Thanks SamH, yes, it is a bug. I hope its resolved soon.
#20 - J.B.
Maybe try to turn off the frame rate limit in LFS to make sure it is wastes enough CPU cycles?
Quote from J.B. :Maybe try to turn off the frame rate limit in LFS to make sure it is wastes enough CPU cycles?

Im not sure it has something to do with CPU cycles, rather, I believe the problem is that Vista doesnt recognize the input of a gamepad/wheel in LFS as an activity generated by the user.
I have the same problem now as I just moved to Vista. It is VERY annoying to have your screen saver come on mid race..
Quote from Roadie :I have the same problem now as I just moved to Vista. It is VERY annoying to have your screen saver come on mid race..

Indeed!

LFS team... where are the answers?
I've never had this problem with Vista Ultimate (on my laptop), running full screen or windowed, maybe it's because I'm using a laptop.
I had this problem once however with XP after using flyakiteOSX, the flurry screensaver would come up sometimes while racing.
#25 - SamH
Quote from Bodhidharmazen :Thanks SamH, yes, it is a bug. I hope its resolved soon.

Quote from Bodhidharmazen :LFS team... where are the answers?

One of the problems for me with this bug, from an LFS perspective, is that it just seems so very obviously a Vista bug rather than LFS. If I move my mouse, Windows detects it and prevents the screensaver kicking in. A wheel is an input device, and logically if it moves then shouldn't Windows detect that, and block the screensaver timer? Quite apart from the fact that the wheel is controlling a car in a game, the mere fact that it is being moved at all surely means that Windows should say "oh, someone's using the PC!" and block the screensaver timer. The same with a DirectX overlay.. something visual is running in Windows, so surely Vista should say to itself "something is being watched.. don't cover it up with a screensaver"

I don't know if it's up to the OS or LFS.. the point I'm making is that it isn't necessarily, definitely, for sure, something that can be fixed by LFS. It *appears* to be (to me at least) a shortfall with the OS. Whether or not Scawen can send a "busy" signal to the OS or not, I don't know.

Reading where a *similar* problem happened for some people using the VLC media player, it looks like they were able to fix that problem within the VLC code, so I think it's hopeful.. but none of us are coders at the level that Scawen is, so we don't know for sure. Just be patient, and know that history has shown that Scawen doesn't leave bugs in LFS longer than it takes to fix them

(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG