The online racing simulator
As far as i can tell the no reset thing has signifigantly helped racing, and to me the most important advancement to tone people down is aero damage, because once you lose downforce, you either pit or you wont be out there for all that long, it might create chaos at first, but eventually people will wise up and realize you cant win with no wings (since to me its the race cars that have the biggest "crashing" problem, not the street cars)
Quote from Fischfix :i also think aero damage will add the most to the game.

at the moment you can bend and twist your wings in any kind of direction and it does not effect the car speed at all.

if this is implemented, we will have MUCH more responsible driving

....well that was awkward
Quote from J.B. :Why not? I was just trying to point out that changing the damage system in such a way that you can destroy your suspension by hitting kerbs on the track would make LFS less not more realistic in most cases.

How come it's less realistic?

Quote :But it's more a problem of the Fern Bay kerbs being too high than a damage problem.

No one would build curbs like that in real life probably, I agree with that.

Quote :What would be more interesting to LFS realism is to find out why so many corners (especially chicanes) can be taken flat out in LFS that I doubt would be possible in real life.

Why? Because the non-existent damage allows that (chicanes I mean) and also because of longitudinal grip.
#79 - ste_
How about Scawen employs someone to drive round your house and punch you in the face to simulate dieing if you crash at high speed. Then people'd learn!
Quote from DodgeRacer :(since to me its the race cars that have the biggest "crashing" problem, not the street cars)

You apparently haven't been racing on any of the TBO servers before...
Although I agree with the aero damage and other suggestions, I still think it is unrealistic that you can drive to the pits and get the whole car repaired in about 30seconds - This is one more adjustment that needs to be changed, the ability that the pits have to fix some things needs to be changed. Also the time it takes them needs to be adjusted.

No pit crew (I think) would be able to fix the body work or change the suspension in the short amount of time it take the LFS crew.

Rally crews take hours to repair the car and I think thats the sort of thing we need in LFS - maybe real time repairs which you have to wait for until you can race that car, so you may have to wait 12 hours after a crash before you can race in the same car again.

Just another idea!

I do still think we need track damage, so that oil can be spilt or bits of rubber after a blowout or bits or bodywork can lie on the track that either get cleared or just have to stay there until next race.

James :-)
The slower the cars are as far as I have noticed, the more bumping and shoving and tossing around there is, but then again, to an extent thats what makes it fun, everyone enjoys bumping someone around and then you getting shoved back and so forth. Obviously there are limits to that, getting launched off the track isn't much fun, but just having close races to where you bump each other around some makes it enjoyable. In the faster cars everyone is more spread out just because they're scared to get near anyone. The wrecks with the faster cars however tend to be more spectacular thus are sought to be more often, but indeed they happen much less than those of the lower end cars.
#83 - J.B.
Quote from deggis :How come it's less realistic?

Because if we start seeing people retire all the time because of damaged suspensions without having a real crash then that would be something you don't see often in real life. Racing cars are very very strong nowadays.

Quote from deggis :
Why? Because the non-existent damage allows that (chicanes I mean) and also because of longitudinal grip.

Yeah I think it's something to do with tyre grip. It seems if you are too fast for a corner it's better to increase steering lock to brake the car than to lift off. I haven't looked at any data yet though.
Quote from J.B. :Because if we start seeing people retire all the time because of damaged suspensions without having a real crash then that would be something you don't see often in real life.

But that wouldn't happen if the damage modelling is realistic or "logical" enough.

Quote :Racing cars are very very strong nowadays.

But extremely vulnerable http://youtube.com/watch?v=MWkXTPIVZEk
#85 - J.B.
Quote from J.B. :True. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think it's that far off how it is now. Anyone seen this clip before? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZFXcsmqMqc

not seen that before, quite tough

Quote :OT: Ouch, what exactly happened? The wheel didn't get fixed properly? Couldn't he limp back on three wheels.

Video is confusing because it first shows the reason and what happened in the pits - just a routine stop but someone screwed up and then hour later tyre failure and crash... no way he could get back to the pits so DNF.
Quote from J.B. :
Couldn't he limp back on three wheels.

Are you being serious?????
#88 - J.B.
Quote from xpjames :Are you being serious?????

Yes, why do you ask? He didn't seem to damage one of the remaining corners on impact but it looks like he was trapped in the gravel.
Quote from J.B. :Yes, why do you ask? He didn't seem to damage one of the remaining corners on impact but it looks like he was trapped in the gravel.

I wouldn't have thought he would have been able to 'limp' back, the wheel came off at quiet a speed! Even if the car would go I think the officials would have stopped it - slow & uncontrollable car scraping along the track!

James
#90 - J.B.
If a wheel came off of one of those cars, the car would probably done for the rest of the race. The entire underside of the car would be ruined after only a few feet, the suspension would most likely be ruined, the brake pad would be obliterated if not shattered. It just wouldn't happen.
It would be dumb to even try.

That last video there JB, Schumacher is scraping, you just don't see anything going anywhere because the ground is soaked. And as you notice, his ENTIRE suspension ripped off (that was a VERY strange accident nonetheleast), amazing how he is still going though.
Instead of shift+P sending you instantly to the pits there should be a countdown while you wait for a "tow truck." And the time gets longer each time you use it. If you dont want to wait then drive to the pits yourself and get repairs.
Quote from J.B. :True. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think it's that far off how it is now. Anyone seen this clip before? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZFXcsmqMqc

They probably have got a re-enforced suspension on that one. Atleast in F1 they use a stronger version of the suspension in Monaco so that it doesn't fail in all the bumps on the track. The normal lighter suspension they use elsewhere wouldn't of course last. What I am saying is that you are half true about the suspension not breaking down very easily. It can be made to last heavy hits and it need to on some tracks, but usually the suspension isn't very strong. There probably should be a setup option to select a heavy duty suspension or the normal one, to reflect this. The stronger suspension would of course be a bit heavier.

Hope that made somekind of sense
Quote from drinklime :Instead of shift+P sending you instantly to the pits there should be a countdown while you wait for a "tow truck." And the time gets longer each time you use it. If you dont want to wait then drive to the pits yourself and get repairs.

If you were to drive off a destroyed car that isn't yours in the first place, the manager of your team would have a fit not to mention you may go in debt the next day to repair all the stuff you destroyed by doing that. This is all IRL speaking.

There is a reason that there is no tow truck however. Mainly because those are not sent out until the end of the race depending on severity. If the crash has enough shrapnel to be a hazard, then they will put out a full course yellow and clean up the track. Otherwise, the soonest the crashed car will get to the pits depends on severity of the crash, and in most cases, will finally find its destination by the end of the race.
Quote from XCNuse :If you were to drive off a destroyed car that isn't yours in the first place, the manager of your team would have a fit not to mention you may go in debt the next day to repair all the stuff you destroyed by doing that. This is all IRL speaking.

There is a reason that there is no tow truck however. Mainly because those are not sent out until the end of the race depending on severity. If the crash has enough shrapnel to be a hazard, then they will put out a full course yellow and clean up the track. Otherwise, the soonest the crashed car will get to the pits depends on severity of the crash, and in most cases, will finally find its destination by the end of the race.

I think it was a suggestion for LFS and not much to do with real racing...I Think!
um... yea i meant LFS. All I meant was every time you use Shift+P it should take longer before you are allowed to leave the pits. First time 5 seconds, then 10, then 20, etc. If you want to avoid this penalty, drive to the pits yourself and pit manually (plus you dont lose your laps if you pit manually vs shift+p). I think people would drive more responsibly with a penalty on Shift+P.
Quote from XCNuse :If a wheel came off of one of those cars, the car would probably done for the rest of the race. The entire underside of the car would be ruined after only a few feet, the suspension would most likely be ruined, the brake pad would be obliterated if not shattered. It just wouldn't happen.
It would be dumb to even try.

If you were talking about that Audi crash, yes probably. But there have been pretty huge crashes previous years and they have still somehow repaired the car. In 24 hour race extra pitstop and a while in the garage means nothing.
Quote from drinklime :Instead of shift+P sending you instantly to the pits there should be a countdown while you wait for a "tow truck." And the time gets longer each time you use it. If you dont want to wait then drive to the pits yourself and get repairs.

Was it GP2 where after a race ending crash invisible marshalls would slowly drag your car to the side of the track? That worked OK from memory (unless you were dragged across the racing line)
Can't wait till when ive done a lap or two of drifting and I blow the diff or headgasket or something
Quote from XCNuse :I'm just afraid for the demo servers; one wrecker and there goes a few people out of the race instantly. I mean, the demo users make up the majority of everyone here, and sometimes are quite supportive of LFS no matter what their reason is for not buying S2, something should be done to be able to decrease all of the wreckers on demo, so that the demo users can get a more positive look at the game wrather than thinking "If I get S2, it will probably be the same crashing but with faster cars."

Simple answer: Make demo offline only. No need to worry about crashers and wreckers.

Can't wait 'till we get better damage model and brake fade and all that... I will own you all then!

Propably not.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG