The online racing simulator
Dear hotlappers
(41 posts, started )
Quote from dadge :i don't hotlap. never have and never will. i just don't see the point. i have even not entered leagues that require hotlaps to enter. i just don't get it. fair enough single player means that there is no drafting but i just don't get it.

what's not to get? It's all about who can drive fastest around the track. That's a huge part of racing, if you haven't noticed.
Quote from dadge :i don't hotlap. never have and never will. i just don't see the point. i have even not entered leagues that require hotlaps to enter. i just don't get it. fair enough single player means that there is no drafting but i just don't get it.

Ever entered a track, did some laps and thought you're quick? Well that might be true in some way but dont tell me you never checked the WR to see how far away you are. I like to have the possibility to check what is actually achievable if you spend alot of time and effort into your setup and the track, inch by inch, step by step. I love the "aha effect" when i discover something where i thought that cant be possible or i can never do it this way if you get my point Hotlapping is a great feature where you can find (extend) your own limits or get close to the limits of your vehicle/ the track.
The hotlapping feature is excellent. I use it in the following ways:

I use the hotlap feature to watch people faster than me so I can learn from them;

I hotlap when I just want to focus on my time. Hotlaps replays can be used with AFS and F1PerfView for proper analysis;

I use the 'test drive' feature of the hotlap to drive the WR set, see how it feels and recreate the balance in my own set;

I use hotlaps to watch the WR tyre temps and set my cambers and pressure up so they are the same to maximise my grip;

I use hotlap to upload the laps I do for my track guides so people can watch the full lap and analyse it with F1PerfView and AFS if they want to;

I use hotlap ranks when I try a new car for the first time and want to see how competitive I am and learn how to set it up on a variety of tracks.
Hotlapping is a godsend for developing setups.
i just prefere to race. and learn from that alone.
Quote from Alkanphel :I believe biggie's the only one who can stand hours and hourse of hotlapping.

Uh, me too. Believe me, you guys (and the AI) are better off if I stick to hot laps. The last thing you need is to drive around me as a rolling chicane.
I really enjoy hotlapping. To me it's fun improving my time, and getting faster, when I didn't think I could. It's also nice to see your name in the ranks, after you accomplished a good time
Hot lapping helps me create or improve my setups which I provide to my teammates for league races. Also I have unstable connection that sometimes works perfectly but most of the time is really slow so I can not have that much fun racing on line…

Hotlapping is a great way to find at least the basic lines and break points for any car-track combo...
Even if I had a great working connection, I would still hotlap occasionally for the above reasons.
Quote from kaynd :Hot lapping helps me create or improve my setups which I provide to my teammates for league races. Also I have unstable connection that sometimes works perfectly but most of the time is really slow so I can not have that much fun racing on line…

Hotlapping is a great way to find at least the basic lines and break points for any car-track combo...
Even if I had a great working connection, I would still hotlap occasionally for the above reasons.

I think you are talking about practicing, not hotlapping.

To me, hotlapping is lapping over and over again specifically to get the fastest time possible. Practice is lapping over and over again to improve your cornering for racing and working on the setup. They are very close, but yet so different.
I think generally most people view hotlapping as a way to finetune their setups and get used to the track. Although technically hotlapping is not that but thats what people view them as.

But sometime it can be fun just as something different than the usual race. Just racing all the time can be a bit dull if thats all you do. Hotlapping challenges yourself without the distraction of other racers.
I only hate hotlappers that bring their hotlapping style to pub servers, with no regard for anyone in their 'hotlap lane'. Please die.

Otherwise, hotlapping is great for improving sets, knowing your lines, brake points and exit speeds. I don't want to see this feature gone, but I'd love to see the hotlapper mentality gone from pub servers
Agreed. What people do offline isn't anyone's concern, but some people tend to treat public servers like hotlapping rinks, which is plain stupid. One time I was in a South Classic/FOX server, in a field of maybe 7 or 8, and a hotlapper with a large self-opinion (who was sort-of well-known at the time) started bitching everyone out. Why? Because we messed up his precious WR attempt by being "in his way". Like, how dare we all race each other while he's trying to set a world record, for goodness' sakes? The nerve!

You can imagine the extreme roasting he got - it was very satisfying to be a part of it Boy, did he get wound up when we refused to vote to end race so he could turn off the wind
Hehe, looks like i finally found another fellow Singaporean.
I use the hotlap feature just to practise and see how my driving differs from WRs.
Quote from mrodgers :I think you are talking about practicing, not hotlapping.

Good point. Yes I mainly hotlap to improve my driving and the setup (if a good time comes out, I save it:tilt But if it’s a form of competition (e.g. olfsl , teammates etc) I hotlap just for the time.:shhh:
Well that’s what I did till I accepted the fact that my connection isn’t going to work properly… only for that season I hope…:expressio
+1 hotlapping

direct comparisons humble us average racers

btw against such a huge amount of data, the green hotlap concept is great! at the beginning, I was sorely in the red, but in terms of years, it has come quickly.

I was actually surprised when it started, but if you use hotlapping as a meter stick for your brute performance potential, you can really find out where you stand talent-wise against the others. online races against people who have the same span of times as you is the best racing you'll get, I bet.
oh yes and don't forget straight-on solo mode.

20 laps of some challenging combo every day would make me much quicker in no time...

did 4 20 lap races at fern bay green reverse, xf gti using the jenek set from team inferno

my first priority was to finish the race, to make absolutely sure at each corner that I was going slow enough to guarantee I'd finish.

I figured beating 30 minutes was a possibility. the times were

30:06.77
30:06.61
30:01.07
29:52.95

the first three races one day and the last one the next morning (well 1pm)

I had no incentive to continue, well except that I bet I'd be a better racer now

but racing against others is too much fun. even fun to lose

Dear hotlappers
(41 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG