The online racing simulator
The devs already allow a substantial amount of modding, LFS has more mods than any other sim. LFS mods typically grant functionality rather than change the content though, whilst rFactor and force feedback steering wheels will forever stare at each other like tigers about to pounce, LFS goes beyond that and connects to G15 keyboards and iVision goggles and what have you all via third party applications.

The current range of insim applications dont even touch the surface of what is possible.

With that being said, it stands to reason that at some point a 3rd party will be able to produce a content mod with LFS. LFS has always been developed along those lines, we just have to wait for the developers to get as far as making it possible and figuring out how to ring fence out the low quality dross.

It's a matter of time, as far as i'm concerned, before we see a content mod.

Even if at the end of the day the devs dont allow modding: Once LFS has had a stable release for some time the users will still find a way.
Yeah, there are plenty of insim applications and unofficial ad-ons out there. Guess who made those? Yes, the users did.

It has been said for a long time that as long as LFS remains unfinished there won't be any third party content added to the game.

Imagine that in future patches or stable releases the track format must be modified because there's a new "dirt-on-track" functionality and every track must be taken care of independently. The devs could assure that they would handle their own tracks, but what would happen if third party tracks are not updated? People would moan because their favourite tracks are not playable anymore.

That's just a dumb example, but the point is along those lines. It's just "don't let third party content into something that's still unfinished and evolving". Some people do not understand that LFS is still in an alpha status.

And about real life tracks... are they more fun to drive? More exciting? Does the feeling change when you're driving a real track? They're just tracks, with straightways and corners.

And you know what is cool about fantasy tracks? They don't have to be real yet you can make them look alike real ones! I just hope the devs bring us some new cool tracks with several layouts next time.
I think too many people are starting to see the suggestion in the wrong light, my idea was simply to help LFS with content not to modify the game. I don't want mods, all I would like to see is talented artists/modellers/sound engineers/track creators to be able to submit something they have created to the development team and then handled accordingly.

Perhaps run a public forum vote on the suggested content and let the public vote on it, if people agree and like the content the developers slap it in a test patch and everyone has a go. If people dislike the content then it gets removed before the next official patch and nothing changes. If changes need to be carried out before a proper release of the content then Eric or the creator can fix it up so its of a good standard. This keeps everything legitimate and legal and everyone is happy, no shoddy 3rd party work and nothing gets put into the game that isn't approved by the development team. Fin!

Real tracks would be nice but as mentioned many many times before you need rights to use the track and name, but having made up content from people should be taken into consideration and should be perfectly legit.
The great thing about lfs is there isn't the ability to create cars and tracks, it just ruins online play.

An extra developer would be cool but I think finding one good enough would be tough! A dedicated track designer perhaps, some of the tracks are amazing in lfs but we need more epic tracks for the bf1 like we1. More elevation changes and corners like turn 8 at turkey etc etc
Quote from southamptonfc :The great thing about lfs is there isn't the ability to create cars and tracks, it just ruins online play.

Did you even read the previous post by Rooble?
Speaking of community added content, I would love to see that McLaren added ASAP.
Quote from Dygear :Speaking of community added content, I would love to see that McLaren added ASAP.

Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen.
Quote from BrandonAGr :Did you even read the previous post by Rooble?

Yes, have you got a problem with what I wrote?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG